should i build new pc or upgrade existing???

Kirankj1724

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: working on databases, various IDE's ,lots of programming(visual studio),virtual machine(xp,linux),bluray movies at 1080p :mrgreen: and sometimes gaming(nfs MW 2012 ,dirt 3) but m not a gaming fan though!!

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:35k max

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:not now.. but i may in future

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows7 64bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1-2tb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:screen size between 20" - 24" , must be full HD

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:speakers and ups

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:2nd week of September

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Bangalore.. I'm ready to buy online..

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

my current config is :

AMD Athlon X2 4600+
Asus M2n-mx se plus
4 gb DDR2 RAM
seagate 160 GB + WD 500 GB HDD
AOC LM525

the prob is i'm facing a lot of overheating issues.. and i realized the solution too when i went through the forum....
My query is can i reuse my processor and/or my mother board for the build??? will it support my requirements???

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
The proccy and motherboard are too old, there is nothing to reuse. I would suggest go for a new build. You should be able to sell this PC as it has got a dual core which is good for internet browsing and office work. Keep the 500GB HDD though, they are very expensive these days. With the money you get by selling this and your existing 35k, you should be able to build a good new config.

OP
K

Kirankj1724

Broken In
yeah sure ll do that.. but should i go for i3 2120 + a decent GPU or i5 2500k without GPU for my requirements???
in case of i5 2500k i would add a GPU later.. but i need a rig that i don't have to upgrade for at least next 3-4 yrs...

OFF-TOPIC : sorry to ask here but how much would my existing rig go for??? :|

OP
K

Kirankj1724

Broken In
after going thru several posts here I've decided on this :

Intel Core i3 2120 7315

Gigabyte B75M-D3H: 4632

GSkil RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1333MHz 3630

seagate 2tb 6862

NZXT Source 210 Elite 2600

PSU Cosair CX430 V2 2875

Dell ST2320L 10600

KB+mouse W/L 1500

ASUS 24x DVD writer 1285

(prices from flipkart and ITdepot)

guys is this the right combination??? i know i've crossed my budget but i hope locally i get it for cheaper!!

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@Kirankj1724

If you are going with the i3 2100 based config then get corsair value 1333MHz 4GB*2 at 2.5k.No point of 1600MHz here as i3 2100 supports upto 1333MHz frequency RAM.
If you are thinking of i5 2400 then better get fx8150+Asus M5A88M AM3+ Motherboard if possible.It is better suited for virtualisation.

If you stick to i5 2400 then that board(Gigabyte B75M-D3H) would work.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 has usb3.0 header but doesn't have onboard graphics.You have to buy a GPU if you go with GA-970A-UD3.

acewin

Point Blanc
IMO virutalization is more RAM intensive and after that core intensive. I run 2-3 vmware workstation based system at a time in 16GB. In 8 GB you can easily run 2, but do not go for core i3AMD will come out better than core i3

also I do not see many boards in AM3+ socket with USB 3.0 header, have a look
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard vs ASUS M5A97 Motherboard vs Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard vs ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Motherboard: Compare Motherboards: Flipkart.com
overall this seem to be good
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard | Motherboard | Flipkart.com

other idea would be to drop HDD buyout for now, use your old SATA drives, some time later you can buy a new HDD, against this buy a gfx card.
based on your preference and thus will have enuf to spend for mobo n proccy

OP
K

Kirankj1724

Broken In
^^^
I'm completely confused now :-(
if i go with fx8150 i would have to get an aftermarket cpu cooler too right? and what about psu??? guys could u pls help me with a proper fx8150 rig within the same budget(35-40k)..
and how gud is fx8150 compared to i5 2400?? is there a huge diff in virtualisation??

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@Kirankj1724
Whether fx8150 would be better than i5 2400 in virtualisation depends upon the number of VMs you are running.
Suppose you want to run many VMs at a time say 7 VMs at a time.
In case of fx8150 you can assign each VM one core and the remaining core is for OS(host).
But in case of i5 2400 as the number of cores(4) is lesser than number of VMs running at that time,the VMs have to share CPU cores which is done by CPU time slicing.
So even though i5 2400 is significantly faster per clock,the speed of execution would be less as each VM gets effectively lesser speed due to CPU time slicing resulting in VMs running slower.
Also time is lost due to context switching.
Similarly there can be other instances with regard to number of VMs running at a time and number of cores assigned to each VM
where the required number of cores can have a effect on VMs running.
If you are running only 1VM at a time,i5 2400 won't be bottleneck generally provided you are not doing heavily threaded things in VM or the OS or in both of them at a time.
For running more number of VMs takes good amount of RAM as pointed out by acewin.

Fx8150 runs a lot cooler than i5 2400 even though it consumes more power than i5 2400.

Amd fx8150 - 12k or fx8120 - 9.7k
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - 6.2k
GSkil RipJawsX 4GB*3 DDR3 1600MHz - 4.8k
Corsair CX430V2 - 2.5k
Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1.1k
WD Caviar blue 1TB - 5.4k
Logitech MK200 - 0.7k
Nzxt source 210 elite - 2.6k
Monitor Benq g2222hdl - 8.3k
Graphic card - Any 2k card for the sake of display or hd7770 - 8k

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 doesn't have onboard graphics so you have to opt for a graphic card.
You can reuse your 500GB hdd and not buy any hdd for the time being to cut the cost.Opt for fx8120 only if the setup exceeds your budget.
Add custom cooler if you start overclocking.Change the PSU to a good quality better wattage PSU if you add a very powerful graphic card.

Intel i5 2400 - 10.8k
Intel DH67CL - 5.4k
Corsair value RAM(1333MHz) 4GB*3 - 3.6k
Corsair CX430V2 - 2.6k
Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1.1k
WD Caviar blue 1TB - 5.4k
Logitech MK200 - 0.7k
Nzxt source 210 elite - 2.6k
Monitor Benq g2222hdl - 8.3k
Optional - Graphic card - hd7770 - 8k

acewin

Point Blanc
buy 2x4GB or single chip of 8GB, I have Elitebook 8460p with core i5 2520 this has 2 cores, I run 2-3 VM quiet easily, having 2 cores has not been a bottleneck for me. But threaded application will always have better performance in multicore systems. I will still say stick to the budget and do not buy a new HDD for now, spend the save bucks here on rest of the parts making your config best possible for longer run. prices for HDD still have to come down quiet a lot, they have not settled yet since last year.

I had bought 2 TB seagate external last year in 5.5 K in around March and we are still getting 1 TB in that price, certainly not much of help.
for monitor there is Dell ST2220L as well, with similar specs and has additional HDMI port.

And do not get confused in any part. any of our suggestion shows conflict then, consider it as a choice option, because in the end you have to stick to your budgets

OP
K

Kirankj1724

Broken In
thanks vkl and acewin for your suggestions. i would be running only 1 VM at a time - (xp to use Visual studio 2010 and SQl server).
and what is the diff. between Gigabyte B75M-D3H and Intel DH67CL boards??

Cilus

laborare est orare
OP's requirements are :
working on databases, various IDE's ,lots of programming(visual studio),virtual machine(xp,linux),bluray movies at 1080p and sometimes gaming(nfs MW 2012 ,dirt 3) but m not a gaming fan though!!

For most of those FX 8150/8120 will be a better choice and for Virtualization, FX 81XX series is better because it supports all popular types of virtualization, mainly Vtx and Vtd.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
OP's requirements are :

For most of those FX 8150/8120 will be a better choice and for Virtualization, FX 81XX series is better because it supports all popular types of virtualization, mainly Vtx and Vtd.

Eaxctly, regardless the number of VM(s) run simultaneously, OP should need FX8120 or FX8150. Final choice will depend on the total budget.

OP
K

Kirankj1724

Broken In
fx 8120 - 10000

ga-970-ud3 - 6254

Sapphire HD 5450- 2000

gskill 8gb- 3719

corsair cx430- 2875

nzxt source 210- 2600

asus dvd writer- 1200

dell st2320L - 10600

iball wireless kb\m- 1350

guys how about this rig? i left out HDD as mentioned. Would psu be suffecient here?

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Originally posted by Cilus
OP's requirements are :
working on databases, various IDE's ,lots of programming(visual studio),virtual machine(xp,linux),bluray movies at 1080p and sometimes gaming(nfs MW 2012 ,dirt 3) but m not a gaming fan though!!

Eaxctly, regardless the number of VM(s) run simultaneously, OP should need FX8120 or FX8150. Final choice will depend on the total budget.

In visual studio generally i5 2400 is somewhat faster.

As for vitualisation i5 2400 supports both VT-x and VT-d.
Intel's VT-x = AMD V and VT-d=AMD IOMMU.
It is the unlocked k series sandy brdige processors who don't have VT-d enabled.
IOMMU does mapping of virtual address.
With the help of VT-d/IOMMU guest operating systems can use hardware that is not specifically made for virtualization.

d6bmg...don't make generalised statements.Check the things first.Real advantage of fx8150/8120 can only be felt in case of more core usage simultaneoulsy.
fx is much slower in per core performance.
In general it is not that in all multi-threaded programs under windows7 fx will be faster.Depends upon the degree of multi-threading.

@Kirankj1724
If your usage is low or running one VM without that very heavy multithreading in the guest and host simultaneously then go for i5 2400.It is a better choice.
Otherwise take the fx.Fx is also a good option.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kirankj1724

Broken In
@vkl what are the diff with Gigabyte B75M-D3H and Intel DH67CL boards?? gigabyte board is cheaper and has usb-3 header too right?

Top Bottom