Shared Folder Password Protection

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
Hi,

I am having a small office with 2 PCs and 2 Laptops with basic networking for file sharing and Internet sharing. The laptops are connected via wifi.

I am facing problem of security when visitor comes with wifi devices,(Laptop/Mobile/Tab) and I need to provide internet access to them. When I setup wifi connection(password Protected), they automatically can see my workgroup computers and shared folders.

How Can I setup Password for shared folders so that network users will need to provide password before allowing read/write access to the folder?

Also, is there any way I can offer only wifi internet and not lan access to outsiders? I need the two laptops to connect to network via wifi.

Please give suggestions as to what can be done.

Thanks in advance!!

Rajesh345

Youngling
Not a good tech but i think

1)Password Protect Each computer
2) From Control Panel > Network and sharing center >Change adv sharring settings > Disable Network Discovery >
2)Does your office using dd-wrt router? if yes u can use this guide Setting Up a Secure Guest Wifi Network

OP
N

niravjadwani

Amatur Modder
Not a good tech but i think

1)Password Protect Each computer
2) From Control Panel > Network and sharing center >Change adv sharring settings > Disable Network Discovery >
2)Does your office using dd-wrt router? if yes u can use this guide Setting Up a Secure Guest Wifi Network

Thanks for the info.

1. Password protecting will not help, as any new computer who has WIFI password will still get access to content.
2. I am using xp on all pcs. I tried to find how to disable network discovery but to no avail.

One more option, if in any way the network discovery is disabled, will do for me as guest will not have time to find any hidden network.

suggestions,advises welcome.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in xp if drives are in ntfs file system then you can restrict access to only admins to any folder(shared or not) on those drives.it means you need to enter admin username/password for that pc on which you are trying to access that folder through network.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
You can do that, not all users in your network can access your shared folders unless it's public. As whitestar said above...

*i.imgur.com/N6sYRcr.jpg

Top Bottom