Share broadband connection over Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaishakp

Right off the assembly line
I have a desktop and a laptop both equipped with bluetooth.I have a 256kbps BSNL broadband connection which is connected to my Desktop.Problem is that I cannot use Internet on the desktop as well as laptop simultaneously.Can I share my broadband connection over bluetooth?If so please explain me how to do it.

din

Tribal Boy
Theoretically it may be possible, but it is never recommended. I mean sharing internet over bluetooth. You will not get the desired results.

Your laptop has wireless already isn't it ? Now why not buying an adapter (either PCI or USB) for the PC and use internet totally wireless ?

INS-ANI

In the zone
Even if you do, you won't be getting decent speed. I suggest you to consider a wi-fi network. Either buy a router or create an ad-hoc network.

icebags

Technomancer
if the main concern is speed, todays v2 dongles support upto 3mbps . where as by bsnl broadband comes with 512kbps (64 KBps) max.

so i m not at all worried abt speed. i m thinking what settings probs i may face to set up this bluetooth network between my desktop and laptop. and the max range i will use is the distance betwen my room and another room in our flat. (small bluetooth network is possible)

looking for a class 2 bluetooth dongle in kolkata lol. can anybody tell me which sop deals it ? seems most of them have class 1 (100 mtrs) dongles.

i just dont want my neighbours to hook up into my network by any means lol.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You can create a BT PAN (Personal Area Network) and connect with the BT adapters. This way you can haf an ad-hoc network and share resources over it. To share net connection set the gateway / DNS of the BT PAN device to that of the one which has internet connection. I've never done this, but this is the theoretical way to do it.

Also, while the speed won't be a bottleneck but network reliability sure will be.

INS-ANI

In the zone
The range can be aproximately 10m, with decent performace for only 6-8 m.
Think about it. There are reasons bluetooth PAN are not in use!

icebags

Technomancer
i understand what u guys are telling, the range and security may b a prob. but to think my next room is less than 10 mtrs apart (class 2 adaptors probably support 20 mtrs max) as long as the network remains inside our flat its ok to me.

but finding class 2 dongles getting hefty, they hav 100 mtr class 1s there in shop. how do u think these 100 mtr ones range if the room is locked ?

another reason i m leaning for BT is that its very low cost . to think i can get 2 dungles at < 400 Rs. where only 1 wifi card costs min 800Rs leave alone a router .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Problem is not only about range and security but also about network stability and reliability. You cannot expect a BT connection to be as fault-tolerant as a wifi connection.

OP
V

vaishakp

But I hav purchased a bluetooth usb dongle for 400.It is given in the box that the speed is 4mbps and also the radius is 500m.So I hav a 256kbps broadband connection for which my bluetooth is more than enough.

OP
V

vaishakp

oh...thats true,I checked It on My copm and I got Only 100kbps On a file transfer and not to mention that the range was limited to my room!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom