share a broaband connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp76896

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,
I have a cable based broadband connection. I need to login through 24Online to use it. The service provider provided me a static IP. I want to distribute the connection to 3 computers. Please suggest how to do it. Do i need a router or a switch only will do?
There is no mac address restriction. But I need to have a preticuler static IP to connect.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Are the other computers laptops or desktops? If they are wifi enabled(Wireless LAN card), you can share the net using Wifi. Even if you don't have wifi, I think you can comfortably go for a wifi router. It can support 4 wired networks!

OP
S

sp76896

3 computers,
1. Laptop vista home premium sp1
2. Laptop XP professional sp2
3. Desktop XP professional SP2

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
Well I assume your laptops will are wifi enabled.

I suggest you buy a wireless router. All instructions are there in the instruction manual provided with it. If you need help, do post here after purchasing the router.

Also, confirm with your ISP that you can use the router. Most probably you can use, but still to be on the safer side, because I don't know what 24Online is.

OP
S

sp76896

Well I assume your laptops will are wifi enabled.

I suggest you buy a wireless router. All instructions are there in the instruction manual provided with it. If you need help, do post here after purchasing the router.

Also, confirm with your ISP that you can use the router. Most probably you can use, but still to be on the safer side, because I don't know what 24Online is.
24online provides a complete billing and bandwidth management software for broadband, dialup, VSAT and wifi ISPs.
its a client where u have to login with your user id and password to get authenticated to use the service.
is it possible to login to this client with the help of a router.
If I go for a switch then what are the problems that I may face?

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
its a client where u have to login with your user id and password to get authenticated to use the service.
is it possible to login to this client with the help of a router.
Yes, thats exactly what I want you to confirm from your ISP. Mostly, you will have to enter these details in wifi router setup.

[/quote]If I go for a switch then what are the problems that I may face?[/quote]
Why go for a switch?

Right now, I am using iBall Baton wifi router to share internet between my laptop and desktop. I did consider a switch, but my local cable guy told me to go for a router instead of a switch.

And yeah, why do you want to go for wired networks when you can conveniently use wireless network? For the desktop, you need not purchase any additional wireless LAnc card. There are 4 wire ports at the back of the router. These ports are used to connect the router to desktops via ethernet cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom