Shall I replace DVD Writer lens??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hello guyz,
I bought SONY DW-Q120A one year 2 months back and now it's warranty is over. It is refusing to read and write any DVD/CD.

So I gave it for repair and he told it needs LENS replacement. It would cost me around 450-500 bucks. He also told that lens will not come with warranty..

So is it reliable to have just a new lens for 500Rs or is it better to buy a new DVD writer (Now-a-days they are so cheap you know) for around Rs.1600?

Has anyone have an experience with a replaced lens.. Are they reliable..What is it's average life time??

Thanks in advance..:)

sashijoseph

In the zone
They'll most probably swap a lens from some dead drive.And then it's your luck.
Would be better to invest 1100/- more and have peace of mind for atleast another year.

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Yeah..Thats why I'm doubting for replacement of lens.. But everything except LENS in my DVD Writer is fine.

Can it be sold for the Spare parts.. I mean for using the spare parts in some service centers..

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
K then.. I should opt for a new one.. Even I was thinking the same. But thought of getting some EXPERT OPINIONS to find an alternative..

Anyways.. Can I sell this DVD Writer for Spare Parts??

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
^^ :) :)

I searched the forum for DVD writers..Got some names..SONY DRU820A and Liteon LH 1A20P..

There is almost no mention of LG DVD writers.. Aint they good?? I've been using LG CDRW and LG DVDROM for 2 years..Till now no problem with them..

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
As far as my "limited" experience with LG goes,least to say,it has been pathetic.Had this problem with each one of my friends then be it a CD-ROM or a Writer the lens would wear out rather quickly & would soon be prone to more errors.Hence never resorted to one.

IMO go for the Sony DRU-820A,mo frills whatsoever with this drive.The only reason for which I don't recommend Lite-on is because I(& some other memebers out here) had a rather unusual exprience with this drive not reading Dual Layer DVD's at start.For which it had to be corrected via a firmware update.That's kinda lame ,if you ask me.I expected more from Lite-On.:(

Also try BenQ DW1650.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
allwyndlima said:
Also try BenQ DW1650.
I use that too, and about 5 of my friends too. It supports just 16x DVD burning but its rock solid, if you wanna close your eyes and buy it :)

But I guess you better look out for faster models, even BenQ has them.

praka123

left this forum longback
My LG DVD rom drive went kaput after a month from when i brought it.i got it replaced and again that too down :-| .now have a samsung octoedge 18x DVD writer working fine(atleast it is not complete a samsung product as toshiba collaboration is there) ;)
If u want long time service for eg:shop owners-buy some proffessional DVD writers(like from pioneer) although it'll cost a ship ;) but it runs reliable long time.

parag.the.neo

Right off the assembly line
i am unable to find Benq 1640 or 1650 ?....wr can i find these ?

help PLS
i have a problem with my DVD writer which is SAMSUNG brand.
it does not read or write data from any dvd.
what can i do?should i go for lens cleaner dvd or should i perchase a new one ?
suggest me.
(thanx in advance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom