Setting Up A New Wireless Connection in Home [NOOB HERE]

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
as the title suggests, i'm setting up a new wireless connection in my house in a week(for the first time, never set up a Wi-Fi ). I need a USB Router for a 3BHK flat, a 3G/4G dongle and a Network Interface Cards for my mobo as it doesn't have inbuilt(Gigabyte G41D3+). My budget is around 4k. Can extend a little.

If i missed simething then point it out.
Thanks! :)

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
TP-LINK TL-MR3220 3G/4G Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
for dongle read reviews on flipkart & snapdeal to get some idea(but don't consider them all correct).for pc get usb wifi card from dlink or tp-link(again check flipkart).

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
TP-LINK TL-MR3220 3G/4G Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
for dongle read reviews on flipkart & snapdeal to get some idea(but don't consider them all correct).for pc get usb wifi card from dlink or tp-link(again check flipkart).

that router will be enough for a 3BHK flat?

I did some research and found out that routers support specific dongles so i needed help in that...and for my wifi card i was thinking to go for a PCI card [ TP-LINK TL-WN851ND Wireless N PCI Adapter Nic - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com ]

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can spend a bit more get this:
TP-LINK TL-MR3420 3G/4G Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
note that one flipkart review comment mentions to get 3g/4g model(hardware v2) & not 3g/3.7g model(hardware v1) as Flipkart keeps changing the boxes.

usb wifi cards are better as they are just plug-&-play devices compared to pci cards for which you have to open the pc cabinet & install it in mobo slot by turning off the pc.

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
if you can spend a bit more get this:
TP-LINK TL-MR3420 3G/4G Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
note that one flipkart review comment mentions to get 3g/4g model(hardware v2) & not 3g/3.7g model(hardware v1) as Flipkart keeps changing the boxes.

usb wifi cards are better as they are just plug-&-play devices compared to pci cards for which you have to open the pc cabinet & install it in mobo slot by turning off the pc.

yes i was thinking to buy that one...lol doing that ain't hard..i have free pci slots and i use all the usb ports....so i think pci is better for me....and i mailed tp link cc asking about if the router supports this dongle [ Huawei E3131 Data Card - Buy Online @ Rs.1699/- | Snapdeal.com ] ..waiting for their reply...and i'll be ordering from snapdeal as it's Rs.200 cheap there and i don't think i'll have to worry about the boxes there. Still i'll mail them asking about the hardware version.

arami

Right off the assembly line
Hi, about having range all over 3/4 rooms, remember to place the router at a central point. No matter which router you buy, this is important.

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Hi, about having range all over 3/4 rooms, remember to place the router at a central point. No matter which router you buy, this is important.

yes i know that...but one questiin if i set ir up near the main board(electrical) will it cause some interferance?

More than enough
In India most isp provide only 1Gbps and at office only so good
Also the router has detachable antena and 300Mbps range with n protocol speeds
Also u can connect dongle or pen drive as cloud storage and router has adsl support too

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
More than enough
In India most isp provide only 1Gbps and at office only so good
Also the router has detachable antena and 300Mbps range with n protocol speeds
Also u can connect dongle or pen drive as cloud storage and router has adsl support too

i'll be using a dongle. MTNL will be my ISP. If you say so, i'll buy TP-LINK TG-3269 Gigabit PCI Network Nic. :) I have no knowledge in networking tho.

Also dont forget to get the version 2 of the product
Flipkart only sells tge firsrlt version
The first version has 3dbi antanaee vs the second's 5dbi which is more powerful

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
get it from Snapdeal. i bought it (TP-Link w8968 Version 2) a week back at INR2100/-

tried first from flipkart, contacted them on phone and email both and they told me that they are selling version 1 only (and that too at a much higher price).

OP
adityak469

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Also dont forget to get the version 2 of the product
Flipkart only sells tge firsrlt version
The first version has 3dbi antanaee vs the second's 5dbi which is more powerful

get it from Snapdeal. i bought it (TP-Link w8968 Version 2) a week back at INR2100/-

tried first from flipkart, contacted them on phone and email both and they told me that they are selling version 1 only (and that too at a much higher price).

yep will be getting from SD :D ..only use FK for searching(more friendly) :lol: and snapdeal is always cheap..

TpLink TD-W8968
Is the router you need
Sorry for the previous mistake

np :) i'll be ordering it on 25th.

Top Bottom