Setting Up a GAME PC

OP
D

Darkcloud

Broken In
woah thanks a bunch guys....fixed my PC in my head now collecting the moolah and crossing fingers that the prices drop...

please dont mind if i pm u guys individually for any doubts

Peace

DC

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hi sam,

i can stretch to 70K...but you think this is the best rig to play games and moves in HD without a glitch? if so...then i am booking it :)

don't book anything. if you getting PC within this month, its a good config. but every month new tech, new graphics card, new motherboard, new processor coming out. so better wait & decide just a week before you getting it.

Sam didn't say you should go for nvidia
he said you should buy ATI radeon 4xxx series

not able to get you buddy.

Better change -
HD5870 to HD5850 @ 17k
Corsair RAM to Kingston Value RAM @ 5.8k
UPS APC (6.5k) to Numeric/Powersafe @ 4k

Now the config would be
Processor: Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz B.E. @ ~8k
Motherboard: MSI 890GX @ ~8k
Ram: Kingston Value RAM @ 5.8k
Hard Disk: 2 X Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB @ 4.2k
Graphics Card: MSI HD 5850 Twin Frozr II @ 17k
Optical Drives: LG GH22NS50 @ 1.1k
PSU: Corsair VX550W @ 4.7k
Cabinet: NZXT M59 @ 3.8k
Monitor: BenQ 22" G2220 FULL HD LCD Monitor @ 7.5k
Keyboard Mouse: Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 + Logitech MX518 Laser @ 2.5k
UPS: Numeric/Powersafe 1KVA @ 4k

Total: 66.6k

Hopefully prices will drop by September and it will fit your budget

rig is good but if OP willing sell out 70k, HD5870 is a really powerful card. its equivalent to 2 HD4890 in Xfire.

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
who the fck is recommending/telling you the hardware which doesn't even exists!

:roll: :-D i think the so called JHOLACHAAP ENGINEERS SITTING AT THE VARIOUS SHOPS ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO help in increasing the confusion of the buyers and to earn maximum profits.... :-D

OP
D

Darkcloud

Broken In
hi,

oops sorry my bad guys...typo error it was a palit GTX 470
*www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=131&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Piyush

Lanaya
will you like to run your PC with a barbecue inside?
thats what known as multitasking:lol:

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

hi,

oops sorry my bad guys...typo error it was a palit GTX 470
*www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=s...tegory_id=131&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
plz listen bro
i know nvidia is better in advertising than AMD/ATI
(some cards are better than the counterparts)

but today the 5xxx series a lot cooler than the nvidia army
in short...
better go for 5870

lionheart133

Broken In
hi,

doubts

is it priority that i pick up WD or corsair brand for my hdd and ram or can i sub it with other brands with almost the same spec?? (samsung or seagate or kingston)

Processor
is a 0.2 Ghz difference going to affect my PCs performance to a great extent or is it negligible?

Motherboard (i don't want to OC)
what is it that i should look for (expansion slots??)

RAM
what should i look for optimum performance?

HDD
it is RPM i guess that decides the performance or is there anything else?

graphics
am clear about what to expect

power supply
how do i calculate what power is required for my pc?

Monitor
are all LCDs available with an HD option? or i have to specifically select one
how important is an IPS panel?

hope these doubts don't sound amateurish

regards

Lnhrt

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
hi,

doubts

is it priority that i pick up WD or corsair brand for my hdd and ram or can i sub it with other brands with almost the same spec?? (samsung or seagate or kingston)

people are having a lot of problems with seagate, so try not to buy it. You can get kingston for RAM, but not much difference in price.

Processor
is a 0.2 Ghz difference going to affect my PCs performance to a great extent or is it negligible?

You won't get a chance to compare the two, so, the faster the better

Motherboard (i don't want to OC)
what is it that i should look for (expansion slots??)

expansion slots, RAM slots, SATA ports, eSata, USB 3.0 (rare for now), layout, audio quality, IGP performance etc.
I don't have very good knowledge of motherboards, but they do effect transfer rates and performance somewhat.

RAM
what should i look for optimum performance?

Good clock speeds and latency figures, but at a budget, you can't even get into that

HDD
it is RPM i guess that decides the performance or is there anything else?

The amount of cache, most 500GB drives have 16MB, WD Black has 32MB, but is expensive as compared to 16MB cache HDDs

graphics
am clear about what to expect

Good

power supply
how do i calculate what power is required for my pc?

you can look online for reviews of the components you purchase, you'll get a rough idea

Monitor
are all LCDs available with an HD option? or i have to specifically select one
how important is an IPS panel?

Genrally, HD resolutions are not easily available in sizes below 22", check the resolution before you buy.
IPS panels are capable of displaying 8bit per channel i.e. 24bit true colour, so colours look much better on them. It is recommended if gaming & movies are your primary usage. Go for a dell IPS panle if you can afford it, will increase your budget by around 9-10k

hope these doubts don't sound amateurish

regards

Lnhrt

we are here to clear your dubts!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
You won't get a chance to compare the two, so, the faster the better

i'll say, check the price difference, than make a choice. if one getting 200Mhz for just 200-300bucks more, its a welcome treat, specially in X4s.

expansion slots, RAM slots, SATA ports, eSata, USB 3.0 (rare for now), layout, audio quality, IGP performance etc.
I don't have very good knowledge of motherboards, but they do effect transfer rates and performance somewhat.

you covered all. also do check the heatsink. good heatsink, better (if it covers the CMOS, excellent). if you going use a graphics card, check the sata ports. usually they take first hit when inserting a graphics card, as many of these ports gets covered.

for audio quality, check the codec strictly (not 5.1, 7.1, 8.1, etc). for IGP, it depends, so won't pass any comment. it'll be make things more complicated.

Good clock speeds and latency figures, but at a budget, you can't even get into that

exactly.

The amount of cache, most 500GB drives have 16MB, WD Black has 32MB, but is expensive as compared to 16MB cache HDDs

in short terms:

8Mb or less ---> skip, ignore, avoid. just don't buy those drives.
16Mb ---> VFM. cheap.
32Mb ---> performance. but will ask u a premium. however 32Mb cache generally comes in 750Gb or more capacity HDDs. & they use it cause they need it.

also RPM:

5400 ---> power saver. comes with 16-32Mb cache. select 32Mb cache.
7200 ---> general. comes with 16,32, 64Mb cache. select 16Mb for value.

you can look online for reviews of the components you purchase, you'll get a rough idea

long story, short. huh? :smile:

Genrally, HD resolutions are not easily available in sizes below 22", check the resolution before you buy.
IPS panels are capable of displaying 8bit per channel i.e. 24bit true colour, so colours look much better on them. It is recommended if gaming & movies are your primary usage. Go for a dell IPS panle if you can afford it, will increase your budget by around 9-10k

for casual gaming or timepass entertainment, a TN based is a good one, cheap. IPS is costly. its recommended only if gaming is sole use of PC & budget is high.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
long story, short. huh? :smile:

Most good reviews give the power requirements at idle as well as full load, so it's a simple way to know the power requirements :C_cool:

for casual gaming or timepass entertainment, a TN based is a good one, cheap. IPS is costly. its recommended only if gaming is sole use of PC & budget is high.

TN panels are good for all practical purposes. the difference is not easily noticeable. But if you look at a very coulourful wallpaper or photograph, you will easily notice where TN panels are incapable. IPS panles are expensive & full HD ones are more so. Not easily available as well. So, if you are not an enthusiast, go for a TN panel. (Just for the records, most LCD TVs are IPS panles)

lionheart133

Broken In
thanks, cool buddy and sam.shab!!

after researching and looking at the specs you guys provided...here is what i plan to buy

MOBO - MSI 890GXM - 4,416 (from the US..worried abt global warranty)
CPU - 955 BE - 7,300
Grap - Gigabyte 5870 (from the US..worried abt global warranty)
RAM - Kingston Value Ram 2*2 GB - 4,800
HDD - 1 TB WD - 3840
OP Dr - LG - 1,111
cooler master GX 550W - 4070
CM elite 300 - 2300
Benq 24 - 10250
razer arctosa - 2450
apc 650 - 3045

total 61K

doubts

- am getting the mobo and grafx from a friend in the usa who is coming over..picking it from newegg.com
am worried abt the warranty though..would it be valid in india??

- does it make a difference if i order these components online or travel to say lamington road and pick up...

every rupee counts since i want to pick up an aquarium and install it in my room too :)

your feedbacks will help

peace

Lnhrt

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

oops forgot to mention

Grap - Gigabyte 5870 18K

Top Bottom