Sea Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
AMD Southern Islands Successor Exposed, Codenamed "Sea Islands"

AMD is just about to launch its highly anticipated “Southern Island” Series graphic cards, However AMD’s ASIC design department employees have leaked what is known to be the successor of the current 28nm chips codenamed “Sea Islands”.

The name Sea Islands represents the U.S. Atlantic coast located in areas around South Carolina, Georgia and eastern Florida. The Sea Island chip would also be based on TSMC’s 28nm Fabrication process but its unknown whether they would compete against Nvidia’s High End 28nm Kepler based card (Most likely to launch in 2H 2012) or the Maxwell Series which is expected to launch in 2013-2014.

More details would emerge as the new chips near completion.

*wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2011123109393556-635x238.jpg

guru_urug

iGoogle
Great find Jas :)
Hardware industry is so dynamic, even before HD7xxx is publicly available..they are already planning its succesor..thats whats reqd today to stay on top of your competitors I guess.

BTW
I wish I could write a resume experience like that :p

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks guys. :)

guru_urug they are not planning but might be already making that gpu. i read that actually gpu begins developing several years before launch! so a part of their team will also be working on sea island's successor :))

Last edited:

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
+1 Jas

All the companies plans in advance "the successor" of their current lineup or to be launched lineup.....see Intel,Amd,Nvidia,Ati,Snapdragon...etc

This is how they get funding for next lineup .....the fact remains that how their current lineup of devices do...decides how much funding they are gonna get for future...Business tactics.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Great find Jas :)
Hardware industry is so dynamic, even before HD7xxx is publicly available..they are already planning its succesor..thats whats reqd today to stay on top of your competitors I guess.

BTW
I wish I could write a resume experience like that :p

Buddy, the engineers at AMD are currently working on what they'll launch in 3 years from now. These things take time.

HD5800 series, was launched in 2009, but planning and development started in 2005.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
nice share jassy :smile:

guru_urug they are not planning but might be already making that gpu. i read that actually gpu begins developing several years before launch! so a part of their team will also be working on sea island's successor :))

yup. it takes more than 3yrs to design a GPU.

ATI’s RV770 design took three years of work, that means ATI started in 2005. It takes about a year for manufacturability from tapeout to final product ship, another 1 - 1.5 years for design and another year for architecture.

*www.anandtech.com/show/2679/

mohiuddin

Journeyman
^oh ..i see...
Then i guess, nvidia is cooking their maxwell in the kitchen, while they are about to serve 'kepler' on the dining table...:)

??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom