SE to challenge Apple itunes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
A competitor to Apple's well-known iTtunes service has emerged in the UK, with news that Ericsson has tied up with Napster to offer the latter's extensive music repertoire to its customers on the O2 network.

Ericsson has announced that it had won an order to host Napster Mobile's service with Telefonica unit O2 UK, which is the leading wireless service provider in the country with an excess of 18 million subscribers.

Under the hosting agreement, Ericsson's responsibilities include systems integration, operations, maintenance and content management of the Napster Mobile service for O2 UK. This marks Napster's second foray across the Atlantic to foreign shores, after the launch of the service on the O2 network in Ireland two years earlier.

Napster Mobile is a premium music service jointly developed by Napster and Ericsson to deliver a gamut of services to the musically inclined mobile phone user.

Using this service on the O2 network, Ericsson customers with compatible handsets will be able to search, browse, preview, purchase and play full-length tracks from Napster's massive database of more than 5 million songs.

*www.domain-b.com/industry/telecom/20080315_iTunes.html

Hope asia is on their radar soon..

sujoyp

Grand Master
Its time for apple to think of some new innovation....
It will take SE time to compete apple since SE's market is small...

goobimama

 Macboy
Apple sure needs some competition. Monopolies are no good for anybody. Take for instance Amazon MP3. It made sure that iTunes DRM-free tracks were available at the same $1 instead of the $1.30 that they were at.

A pity there's nothing like this in India...

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
coool....but it needs the backing of 3G networks here in india...i dunno how will it work on GPRS.....neways,,it is a nice move by SE!!

sujoyp

Grand Master
@ Azzu...I admit that SE sold 100 million Mobiles in 2007..:shock:

Apple sold total of 141 million in 6 years.....but itune is much popular than any other.
At least it will take some time for SE.

Source :*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ipod_sales.svg
*internetcommunications.tmcnet.com/...son-2007-highlights-handset-sales-top-100.htm

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
100 million in 2007+the last 6 years.. :D

makes it more than 300 million at least....and this service shall be hooked to trackid where if u like a tune u can track it using this application ..send it to the net and download thru napster...

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^^^all of them have trackid and with playnow arena, now..u can connect your phone through bluetooth or cable to your laptop or pc and track any song on the Se site and download it..

goobimama

 Macboy
Most people I know buy an SE for it's phone purposes. Syncing a phone as a music player is not as tasty as using a dedicated music player or a phone with enhanced music playback capabilities. Alas, not all of those 100 million SE phones are walkman phones. And not all walkman phones are being used as a dedicated music player. In fact, two of my friends who have SE W810i and k790i have iPod Nanos.

What I'm trying to say is...

OP
dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
u dont need to have a walkman phone to enjoy the features...maybe in india it wont work as much..but in uk and other parts..they thrive by online music downloads...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Most people I know buy an SE for it's phone purposes. Syncing a phone as a music player is not as tasty as using a dedicated music player or a phone with enhanced music playback capabilities.

The new Sony Ericsson Phones support the Media transfer protocol due to which you can sync them with any media player out there.

No, they don't.

All Sony Erickson phones starting from K750i support playnow while all new walkman phone support TrackID.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
one more. I don't think it's not possible at all to overtake itunes. They have got too much market share and heavy fanbase.

SE needs a full fledged ecosystem that can match Apple's itunes eco system. Perfect Online music store, loads and loads of songs/movies/tv shows/podcasts, pefect desktop client and a great sounding music player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom