Screen share two desktops without Net

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys...

Is there any application which will let me share desktops provided both my systems are connected ONLY to my router, but there is NO net.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Guys thanks for the responses. Teamviewer has an option. Even without being on the NET, but hooked into my router I am able to shared desktops using local IP which the router assigns via DHCP to each machine. Basically I am setting up a 24x7 DL rig, which will not have a monitor.

:)

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ahh, guessed correctly :)

Remote Desktop is your option :)

You can use Teamviewer, but why use another software when it's build into OS :p

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Will need to check RDP, if it can connect over local IP. If Yes, will do that for sure.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
@ asingh surely will u need to configure it & also set a password to admin a/c to be able to access if u r not using a monitor then its better to use Remote Desktop because teamviewer password will change every time u close & reopen it also to use tv u have to manually log in the pc & start the software to have access

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Actually Teamviewer has these options:

1. Exclusively accept LAN: Via this way, only LAN sharing is allowed -- nothing of the internet.
2. Unattended Access: This lets you set a one time password which works each time someone tries to connect. So the password never changes. Just that Teamviewer should be open. Which I can put in the startup as an option. I tested it on my laptop, and is working fine.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
@asingh why not use teamviewer? just assign a static Local IP to the D/L rig.. The teamviewer's file sharing feature is also very useful.
i used to access my monitor-less PC through my Laptop using teamviewer and it was good. Laptop and PC were connected through a router.

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@asingh why not use teamviewer? just assign a static Local IP to the D/L rig.. The teamviewer's file sharing feature is also very useful.
i used to access my monitor-less PC through my Laptop using teamviewer and it was good. Laptop and PC were connected through a router.

Will be doing that. See my post above. My router is on active DHCP. So once a device hooks in it gets a local IP.

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
But through remote desktop u can also connect the local drives to transfer data

@asingh u can set a same range static ip on both the pc's

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
But through remote desktop u can also connect the local drives to transfer data

@asingh u can set a same range static ip on both the pc's

Will investigate RDP today also. Thanks.

Really do not want to assign static IPs. The router does the job quite well.

198.168.1.1 = Router
198.168.1.2 = First system to hook in
198.168.1.3 = Second system to hook in
198.168.1.n = nth system to hook in

Plus Teamviewer lets me get remote access via the 'computer name' also.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I had created this tutorial long time ago .. have a look at it.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/74510-sharing-desktop-remotely-using-real-vnc.html

OP
asingh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I had created this tutorial long time ago .. have a look at it.
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/tutorials/74510-sharing-desktop-remotely-using-real-vnc.html

Just read it. Looks good. Will explore this too. Thanks.

rawgeek

Broken In
@asingh

RDP works well,and you can use computer name [netbios name also].
Make sure rdp is enabled in system properties->Remote tab.
Then try start->run->mstsc and enter the ip/netbios name of the machine.RDP is the best and fastest option.
I use it all the time to take rdp of my dekstop from laptop :)

Top Bottom