Scientists say asteroid may hit Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
*www.hoax-slayer.com/images/mars.jpg​

Mars could be in for an asteroid hit. A newly discovered hunk of space rock has a 1 in 75 chance of slamming into the Red Planet on Jan. 30, scientists said Thursday.

"These odds are extremely unusual. We frequently work with really long odds when we track ... threatening asteroids," said Steve Chesley, an astronomer with the Near Earth Object Program at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

The asteroid, known as 2007 WD5, was discovered in late November and is similar in size to the Tunguska object that hit remote central Siberia in 1908, unleashing energy equivalent to a 15-megaton nuclear bomb that wiped out 60 million trees.

Scientists tracking the asteroid, which is halfway to Mars, initially put the odds of impact at 1 in 350 and increased the chances this week after analyzing the data. Scientists expect the odds to diminish again early next month after getting new observations of the asteroid's orbit, Chesley said.

"We know that it's going to fly by Mars and most likely going to miss, but there's a possibility of an impact," he said.

If the asteroid does smash into Mars, it'll likely aim near the equator close to where the rover Opportunity has been exploring the Martian plains since 2004. The robot is not in danger because it lies outside the impact zone. Speeding at 13 kilometres a second, a collision would carve a hole the size of the famed Meteor Crater in Arizona.

In 2004, fragments of the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 smacked into Jupiter, creating a series of overlapping fireballs in space. Astronomers have yet to witness an asteroid impact with another planet.

"Unlike an Earth impact, we're not afraid, but we're excited," Chesley said.

*www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071220/mars_asteroid_071220/20071220?hub=TopStories

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, I want that Asteroid to hit Mars and know more about what happens in an Asteroid Collision.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
damn.. lets hope it can take the impact.. i've heard few planets will change its orbit direction after getting hit by a asteroid

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gigacore said:
damn.. lets hope it can take the impact.. i've heard few planets will change its orbit direction after getting hit by a asteroid
The collision wouldn't be powerful enough to change the orbit of Mars.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Kenshin said:
For those who want the asteroid to hit sms HIT to 901232312
and those who want the asteroid not to hit sms NHIT to 901232312

deadline 21st dec 2012 :D
When the results will be declared ?? :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
lets hope asteroid shouldn't miss it, else it may come for a direct hit on Earth :D

x3060

A LOTR fan
@Kenshin ..change the date , its jan 30 2008, what are you doing with 2012??? ;)
last date for sms contest is jan 24 , after that all the entries will be rejected.

P.S: if we dont get sufficient entries, the asteroid will be destroyed using
"Format asteriod c" command
in case of BSOD during run time "god save us all"...:(

OFFICAL REPORT FROM "GILL DATES" (SOFTROSOFT inc.)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
x3060 said:
@Kenshin ..change the date , its jan 30 2008, what are you doing with 2012??? ;)
last date for sms contest is jan 24 , after that all the entries will be rejected.

P.S: if we dont get sufficient entries, the asteroid will be destroyed using
"Format asteriod c" command
in case of BSOD during run time "god save us all"...:(

OFFICAL REPORT FROM "GILL DATES" (SOFTROSOFT inc.)
softrosoft is not better term, make it micros**t :D (no pun intended)

siddhesh222

Journeyman
The scientists say this asteroid,which is about to hit mars is similar to the one that hit Siberia.If the asteroid that hit Siberia DID NOT change earths orbit then how can it change the orbit of mars.(mars is somewhat of the same size as of the earth and has a stronger pull{Even if it did, relate to the end of the world,December 21st 2012.It might be something like that asteroid would hit mars shaking its regular orbit and colliding with the earth,and its all over.})

Cerebral Assasin

Showstopper
Main chahta hoon ki Asteroid MARS se takraye, aur mars ke sabhi lallu panju alien mar jayen (I don't think there are aliens,agar aliens hain toh Naspitton ka kuch na bache) :D :D

x3060

A LOTR fan
some where on a distant planet , a fellow to another fellow "how many times do i need to tell you , you need to practice your aim, look the rock you throwed is heading towards mars, not earth "
other one "sorry sir , will try the next one " . a third who is listening to both "i dont think there is a need , they already have nukes programmed for selfdestruction "

utsav

damn busy...
Kenshin said:
For those who want the asteroid to hit sms HIT to 901232312
and those who want the asteroid not to hit sms NHIT to 901232312

deadline 21st dec 2012 :D
abey tu to martian nikla 9digit ke number to sirf mars me issue hote hai:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom