4. Alien Isolation
5. Call of Chuthulu
6. Resident Evil 4
7. Alan Wake
8. Silent Hill
9. Amnesia

and many more. Ping me again when you complete these. :D
Fear - God damn one of the fastest games that I finished but was not so scary
Dead Space 1, 2, 3 - Scary a hell - after playing these I can now watch any damn horror movie. - this game is unplayable alone
Silent hill - not so scary
resident evil 4- this is not a scary game wtf?
Doom 3 (play with loud volume)

The hell knight will haunt you in your dreams - this game is unplayable alone

Raziel

Journeyman
+1 for Undying
OMG one hell of a scary game - this game is unplayable alone

Undying was a really a great game, gothic n atmospheric, definitely scary, but the Prison level in Amnesia is what really scared me, especially I play alone in the dark with the headsets on.

mitraark

Decrepit
Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2/ The sudden onslaught of zombies really scares the crap out of you sometimes.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2/ The sudden onslaught of zombies really scares the crap out of you sometimes.

Honestly, Dead Space 1/2 stop being scary once you get your guns and ammunition.

In Amnesia, you don't have any form of weapon whatsoever for the whole game. That automatically makes it a 100 times scarier.

Not to mention that Amnesia developers (Frictional Games) were previously known for the Penumbra series with similar mechanics and are currently working on SOMA with similar mechanics as well.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That being said. True horror games are the ones that make the playing character as helpless as possible with their only true and trustworthy weapon being their wits.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine being chased by a malevolent/horrifying entity, you unload your gun onto it but there is little effect. Your only best hope is to attempt to outrun it or hide and hope that it gives up the chase. You run frantically and hopelessly while the entity gains on you with surprisingly agility. Finally, you somehow manage to break its line of sight and hide in some closet, while the entity runs past you. You then sit there and sigh with sweet relief knowing that you have survived just one more encounter.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
That being said. True horror games are the ones that make the playing character as helpless as possible with their only true and trustworthy weapon being their wits.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine being chased by a malevolent/horrifying entity, you unload your gun onto it but there is little effect. Your only best hope is to attempt to outrun it or hide and hope that it gives up the chase. You run frantically and hopelessly while the entity gains on you with surprisingly agility. Finally, you somehow manage to break its line of sight and hide in some closet, while the entity runs past you. You then sit there and sigh with sweet relief knowing that you have survived just one more encounter.

I haven't played it myself, but you pretty much described Alien:Isolation from what I've heard.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have Alien: Isolation in my Steam library. Will install it someday.

But yes, from the gameplay videos I've watched, that's pretty much how it is.

gameranand

Living to Play
Fear - God damn one of the fastest games that I finished but was not so scary
Dead Space 1, 2, 3 - Scary a hell - after playing these I can now watch any damn horror movie. - this game is unplayable alone
Silent hill - not so scary
resident evil 4- this is not a scary game wtf?

I mentioned it just for the sake of that series. :D

Top Bottom