#SayNoToFreeBasics - What Facebook won't tell you about FreeBasics

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
all right, Internet is like a library but what is FB then ? A gateway to hell !!

Anyway, we can afford basic internet service even if it's paid and by basic I meant using a little bit twitter, whatsapp or any other messenger like things and some e-mails as they say "BASIC". What was the speed like when internet was invented and for what ? Sending and receiving messages. How much data it needs ? I can get 25MB of data with only Rs. 4 for 2 days. That's 375MB of data for 30 days for Rs. 60. - even if it's solw 2G but it can get the job done when you are out of 3G coverage or really need some basic communication needs. We will get on ISPs and speed things on another topic.

What I'm trying to say is Freebasics is a way too insulting for us as a nation ? What some rich people thinks of us ?!! I think you all got the meaning. Some touchy adds or a big conference ain't going to change the way you think of us.

No sir, Keep your freebies with yourself as you will get a lot more from us later and the speech line would be " Nothing Personal, It's only Business "

So let us enjoy our freedom. And to those who still have in the illusion for freebasics I've only one thing to say " There ain't no such thing as a free lunch ".
+1 for this.
M@*k Zu******g is the Devil himself trying to destroy the net neutrality,with his devious means and mischievous smile...:twisted:

satinder

DELHIITE
All corporate companies work like this only.
Even industry standards are made in a way to take money out of your pockets.
LOL !

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
FreeBasics will be implemented. In a country where people choose khujli, mamta and the like and re-elect lalu, there do you think people care about their country? no way.

Flash

Lost in speed
*img01.ibnlive.in/ibnlive/uploads/2015/12/poster2-633x1063.jpg

The Internet is going crazy laughing at these genius parody poster of 'Free Basics' - IBNLive

:rofl:

Minion

Conversation Architect
all right, Internet is like a library but what is FB then ? A gateway to hell !!

Anyway, we can afford basic internet service even if it's paid and by basic I meant using a little bit twitter, whatsapp or any other messenger like things and some e-mails as they say "BASIC". What was the speed like when internet was invented and for what ? Sending and receiving messages. How much data it needs ? I can get 25MB of data with only Rs. 4 for 2 days. That's 375MB of data for 30 days for Rs. 60. - even if it's solw 2G but it can get the job done when you are out of 3G coverage or really need some basic communication needs. We will get on ISPs and speed things on another topic.

What I'm trying to say is Freebasics is a way too insulting for us as a nation ? What some rich people thinks of us ?!! I think you all got the meaning. Some touchy adds or a big conference ain't going to change the way you think of us.

No sir, Keep your freebies with yourself as you will get a lot more from us later and the speech line would be " Nothing Personal, It's only Business "

So let us enjoy our freedom. And to those who still have in the illusion for freebasics I've only one thing to say " There ain't no such thing as a free lunch ".

Exactly!!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Net Neutrality: 81% citizens voted against Free Basics, says LocalCircles | Latest Tech News, Video & Photo Reviews at BGR India

A whopping 81 percent in a survey of 30,000 people have voted against Free Basics or any such program and want an unbiased or neutral internet for themselves, a survey conducted by citizen engagement platform LocalCircles said on Thursday.

LocalCircles said in a statement that when asked if the central or state government should provide free Internet access covering essential or useful citizen services, 78 percent of the respondents said yes.

“This basically redefines the concept of net neutrality and has implications on what is provided as content when the internet is free and provided by the government. Internet evangelists who have stake in the internet being open to all meaning that all websites and apps should be given equal access will be disappointed by what the citizens want,” the statement said.

“If the government wants to make electronic books available for free it can make sure that they are at least available on all government hotspots,” said LocalCircles chief strategy officer K. Yatish Rajawat. ”This would not be possible if free internet is understood only through what private internet companies are offering. The debate on net neutrality has to take into account that access to internet is important and its misuse is also a possibility,” he added.

At first glance, it seems like a good idea that govt. provides free services on their hotspots. But what implications will this have in the long run?

I think it would be good if govt. provides free Wifi "INTRANET" that people can connect to and get access to govt. services for free.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The TRAI consultation closes tomorrow and Facebook has just 24 hours to find the 11 million people it says support Free Basics in India

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
TRAI tells Facebook it did not get responses supporting Free Basics in time - MediaNama

xD

Sorry FB.. but you can't take away our freedom.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I don't believe this and FB is not going to sit idle. They may try to bribe some people as usual like all other biggy mncs.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Reports are FB used 300 cr rupees on their free basics advertisement campaign :lol: 300 cr down the drain :-D

If they were so much concerned about our rural India,they would have gone the Bill Gates way of philanthropy. Merely wasting Rs.300 crore on ads and other aspects,shows what their true intention is.Leave aside FreeBasics,why didn't they pour this money for improving the infrastructure of Signal strength and wifi instruments on the rural country side of India in a phase by phase manner,so as to help the common public in acquiring the network resources???
Why an evil nexus with Reli@nce but not with state owned BSNL or even Airtel for the matter???
There are various questions that lurk in our minds,most of the answers which we might know,but FB will never ever admit for the truth.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
They spent Rs 300 crore! :(
That's average money for 6,000 people! :shock:

How?
Total amount of money in world = $ 60 Trillion.
Total population of Earth = 7.4 Billion
Total money for each person on Earth = $ 8108.11

That's Rs 5,45,513 per person for everyone on Earth.

Dunno why I calculated that.

Corollary: If average of money is about 5.45 Lakh, then all the people of world who are below this are poor and who are above are rich.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Facebook Busted Trying To Fake Support For Its Net Neutrality Positions In India

For much of the last year now, Facebook has been under fire in India for its "Free Basics" zero rating campaign, which exempts Facebook-approved content from carrier usage caps, purportedly to the benefit of the nation's poor. Critics however have argued that Facebook's just trying to corner developing ad markets under the banner of altruism, and giving one company so much control over what's effectively a walled garden sets a horrible precedent for a truly open Internet. Indian regulator TRAI has agreed so far, arguing that what Facebook is doing is effectively glorified collusion, and it's demanding that Facebook shut the program down until a public conversation about net neutrality can be had.

Like any good giant international company, Facebook's response to this call for open and honest dialogue has been to launch a mammoth media and lobbying blitz across India. The campaign has included buying entire newspaper spreads in which Mark Zuckerberg professes to be super worried about the country's farmers, to some subtle, local advertising:

*i.imgur.com/UvZGvSX.jpg

But as we noted a few weeks ago, Facebook also engaged in some pretty shifty behavior to try and trick people into spamming Indian regulators in favor of Facebook's Free Basics plan. Numerous people complained that the Facebook app tricked them into signing and sending a complaint to TRAI, after the regulator issued a call for public feedback on the country's nascent net neutrality rules: *twitter.com/accidenteshwari/status/677748619030626304/photo/1

Facebook subsequently admitted it also "accidentally" sent the message to U.S and UK users as well, resulting in a flood of "feedback" from people who don't live in India and may not even know what Free Basics is. Amusingly, TRAI appears to have noticed the spam attempt and called Facebook's bluff. In a public notice (pdf), TRAI notes that it received 2.4 million responses in total, with about 1.9 million of them associated with Facebook's media campaign domains.

Being Facebook-generated form letters, TRAI points out that none of these responses appear to answer any of the questions the regulators put forth in its original call for feedback. Facebook's response, attached to the filing, is to claim that the company actually helped generate 11 million supporters of Free Basics, yet it mysteriously has no idea where these missing 9.1 million responses disappeared to. In other words, Facebook not only tried to trick its users into spamming the government, but it appears it may have lied about the overall volume of support Free Basics had.

Combined with Zuckerberg's claims that opponents of Free Basics are extremists that hate the poor, Facebook's making an excellent case for its critics who say that creating a walled garden version of the Internet in which Facebook is king is a very bad idea. A better idea? As numerous folks have suggested, how about putting all of this money being spent on Free basics, lobbying, spamming and marketing into actually updating India's lagging broadband infrastructure?

Top Bottom