SATA YA PATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
i recently bought a new pc (assembled) athlon 64 3000+ with msi k8mm-ilsr mobo and samsung 80 gb sata hdd, it worked fine for 4 dayes and after that it started hanging frequintly (when ever i watched t.v. programs usng my internal tv tuner card{intex}).
after 2 dayes, my pc refusd to start, i thaught it was the fault of my ram(because my pc didnot accepted 2x256 hynix400fsb ram and i have to use 1x512 matrix400fsb ram), but i later came to know that i is acctually my hdd which is causing trouble(whenever i pluged the hdd to the smps power the pc refused to start, and now all the important data i had collected is lost, i have sent it for replacement and it will take 7 dayes (samsung service center people said).
now finally my question for all you guyes are:-
1. why did it happen(brand new hdd double crossed me).
2. are sata not reliable as pata are.
3. should i replace it and buy 120gb 7200 rpm segate or samsung, OR 80 gb 10000 rpm cheetah(i do not know the price of cheetah).
please help :(

regards,
nishant.

gr8prash

Broken In
Go 4 SATA only if u don't have Lots of OverClocking in ur mind b'coz SATA HDDs seems 2 restrict the extent of OC. Go 4 PATA if u keep money in mind and ultimate OC is ur choice. 4get Seagate Cheetah b'coz its SCSI HDD more costly and lot better performance but u require SCSI adapter.

G

gxsaurav

thats not true, SATA doesn't restrict overclocking

Cheetah isn't recomended for home, it's really costly

get a PATA, before 2nd generation SATA the 1st generation is not good over PATA, all a bit costly

theraven

Technomancer
1) sheer bad luck dude nuthin u can do abt it
2) thers nuthin like its not reliable .. either u were given faulty hardware or u just had real bad luck
3) dont go for 120 ... go for 160 instead
its something abt the number of platters they use
10000 rpm cheetah is too much i think .. but go for it if u can afford it
itll give amazin performance

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
SATA is the thing to go in for. PATA is 50% slower (100Mbps Vs 150Mbps) data transfer rate . DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG HDD. Try to get seagate now it is with a 5 year warranty

imgame

Broken In
gr8prash said:
Go 4 SATA only if u don't have Lots of OverClocking in ur mind b'coz SATA HDDs seems 2 restrict the extent of OC. Go 4 PATA if u keep money in mind and ultimate OC is ur choice. 4get Seagate Cheetah b'coz its SCSI HDD more costly and lot better performance but u require SCSI adapter.

who says SATA restricts overclocking ..? any link or something to prove it!

[flAsh]

In the zone
SATA Hdds didn't obstruct overclocks untill the PCI locks of chipstes are extended 2 it. if not its certain 2 restrict OC. same is tru with IDE HDDs. don't worry almost all modern chipsets hav this feature except Via K8t800. Ide HDDs of 10K Rpm r really cheap and give performance almost equal 2 SATA hdds havin 7200rpm. 10K rpm SATA hdds r really costly. moreover the bandwith of 150Mb/s is jst theoritical and current PATA drives wud giv u a theoritical bandwith of 133Mb/s

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
ok if sata gives 133Mbps then PATA gives 80Mbps of throughput data so sata is better in any case also sata help the system run cool due to the sexy data cable it uses

OP
nishantv2003

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
thanks all u guyes for your help,
i bought samsung hdd in the first place because the 3 year warrenty is given directly through service center and replacement is faster, i know seagate hdd's are little better and have 5 years warrenty but the warrenty is covered by dealer and it takes 1 month for its replacement(if any prob comes, like i have).
so guyes i am thinking to keep my current hdd,
any suggestions please.
regards
nishant.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
who says SATA restricts overclocking ..? any link or something to prove it!
I can say that from personal experience. :wink:

Ide HDDs of 10K Rpm r really cheap and give performance almost equal 2 SATA hdds havin 7200rpm
Since when did 10,000 rpm IDE drives become available in the market,when such drives were never made? :roll:

SATA drives are experiencing these problems because of the low quality SMPS too.
If possible go for a SMPS that comes with SATA connectors or choose a Good quality SMPS which supplies healthy power and can sustain teh power requirement of SATA Drives. :wink:

G

gxsaurav

The first generation of SATA 150 over PATA 133 is no go, won't give any more performance

The 2nd generation however supports NCQ (Native Command Quing) but suported only in 915 chipsets & upcoming nForce4 chipset

SATA doesn't restrict overclocking if U R not using it on a motherboard without official SATA support, on 865/875/9xx SATA doesn't restrict over clocking

Also Windows XP requirs drivers for SATA while installing Windows, that "Press F6 to install a Third Party drivers" thing, but it can be solved with a slipstreamed CD

Whats worng with Samsung, it's working fine where ever I have seen it

darklord

Cyborg Agent
SATA doesn't restrict overclocking if U R not using it on a motherboard without official SATA support, on 865/875/9xx SATA doesn't restrict over clocking

Nvidia Nforce 250Gb has native SATA support and overclocking is limited on board based on these chipsets for socket 754.
Any reason why? :roll:

OP
nishantv2003

nishantv2003

We Both Have a Mouse!!!
i am getting an option from a local wendor
he is saying that give me your samsung 80gb sata hdd(replaced one) and pay additional R.s.200 and take seagate 80gb sata hdd.
so guyes what should i do keep my current hdd or exchange it????

imgame

Broken In
nishantv2003 said:
i am getting an option from a local wendor
he is saying that give me your samsung 80gb sata hdd(replaced one) and pay additional R.s.200 and take seagate 80gb sata hdd.
so guyes what should i do keep my current hdd or exchange it????

Looks fishy ........!!!!!!!!

[flAsh]

In the zone
hey darky, it seems u didn't heard bout IBM Delta 75GXP, a 75GB hdd which had 10K rpm & arrived in India in the year 2000(or 2001). U can check previous Digit(CHIP that time) issues if u hav them.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
[flAsh said:
]hey darky, it seems u didn't heard bout IBM Delta 75GXP, a 75GB hdd which had 10K rpm & arrived in India in the year 2000(or 2001). U can check previous Digit(CHIP that time) issues if u hav them.
No my dear the first ATA drive wid 10k rpm was the WD Raptor.which is a SATA drive essentially.
IBM 75GXP was a 7200rpm drive, had 4 platters, had tremendous failure rate and was very infamous for its failure.
10k & 15k SCSI drives is common.
There is NO IDE 10k rpm DRIVE till date.
Check on your side, mate. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom