SATA to IDE Convertor ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
One of my friend wana upgrade his config, new mobo with old HDD(IDE). Is there any way so that he can connect his IDE HDD to SATA port ??????

gg_3000

Broken In
ya, u r rite! There's no need of a convertor! Any mobo shud definitely support IDE.. Also, there's no such convertor thats available 2day.. I dont think that we would see such a convertor, given the difference in technology between them!

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
But modern motherboards have only one IDE connector. So either CD Rom or HDD can be connected at a time. So is there any other solution

jack// ani

In the zone
yes.....there are IDE==>SATA converter out there, but no need to buy one.....you can use your cd-rom ide port to connect your hdd, both will work simultaneously, so no need to worry.

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
Ya! Both will work simultaneously but there can be a fall in performence due to simultaneous work.
So what I want to suggest is, just try what other members have told u & if u face any prob or lowering performenece, buy a converter.

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
jugnu_009 said:
But modern motherboards have only one IDE connector. So either CD Rom or HDD can be connected at a time. So is there any other solution
Ya there are only one IDE port on Intel boards but u can connect two drives on a IDE port

Tushar.bar

Journeyman
sam9s said:
There is only one IDE connector but the cable has two junctions. so you can make your HDD, Primary Master and your ROM drive as Primary Slave. You can connect a HDD and a ROM, two HDDs or two ROMs with a single IDE cable, which ever combination suits you.

After that if u need another ide port(to attach another cd drive or Hdd) simply buy a pci 2 ide convertor.

Ray

Precision Processor
It's better to buy a new SATA hdd rather than wasting money on a sata card.If the IDE hdd has important then install both the IDE and SATA drive together and then use softawares like Acronis Image Maker to make image of the IDE drive and copy it into the SATA hdd

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
For a friend of mine, who had two CD drives and and an 80 GB, I had to buy a PCI card which supported two IDE channels. But this bypassed the onboard IDE controller..

the card was of 900-1000 bucks w/ warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom