SATA III 6.0 gbps HDD

gkp_pc

Broken In
How much difference does it actually make to use SATA III 6.0gbps interface over SATA II 3.0gbps interface? Currently 7200rpm HDDs are available for SATA II & SATA III. Would it make much difference in loading applications, file copy if I go for SATA III over SATA II? Or the HDD technology is not yet mature to fully deliver SATA III speed?

saswat23

Human Spambot
''the HDD technology is not yet mature to fully deliver SATA III speed''
what you said is actually correct.

But if you are going to get a new HDD then go for SATAIII, as they are 100bucks more than SATAII Drives.

OP
G

gkp_pc

Broken In
The question is not about going for SATAIII hard-disks; its more about SATAIII compatible motherboards. The difference is more for SATA II & SATA III mobo.

saswat23

Human Spambot
SATAIII is backward compatible with SATAII. So, it wont be a problem if you install a SATAIII Drive into SATAII and vice-versa.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Actually, HDD technology is mature enough to deliver full SATA 3 speeds but it's the sata controllers on mobos that are holding the speeds back. here is an interesting read: Conclusion And Recommendations : USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks

OP
G

gkp_pc

Broken In
I m aware of the backward compatibility. Should I go for high priced SATA III mobo now is the question. I am worried that I would pay higher for a SATA-III mobo; but at the end, the SATA III HDD may prove the bottleneck. So I may not get much difference in performance even after paying higher price for mobo.

Top Bottom