Sapphire HD 6950 1GB unlocked to HD 6970 1GB!

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^BTW its VRMs already stressed with addition shader load. dont overvolt too much IMO.
is someone able to find some nice links in this regard?

dibya_kol

In the zone
yeah, your gpu might not run stable at 880/1375 without extra voltage.
you can overvolt using sapphire trixx.

and remember to up fan profile before over volting.

Temperature is fine.

Don't overclock to 880/1375 if you get problems.

Either keep it at stock i.e. 800/1250 or overclock to something around 830/1300.

+1 ..

And @OP, ur psu is fine, don't worry.

is someone able to find some nice links in this regard?

If i were nt wrong, u r talking about unlock/tweak the 6950 to 6970, am i right ? If yes, go to guru3d forum, and search for ' dave's ' article regarding unlocking this gpu. U can find a sticked article in there. As i know he is the 1st person who unlocked this gpu.

p.s: link added

6950 BIOS Unlocking (At Users Risk) - Guru3D.com Forums

Last edited:

Mr.V

Journeyman
you can overclock the GPU clock but dont overclock the Memory clock much as it may cause instability.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is what you need ;-)

Unlock and OC that 6950 TF3/ Twin Frozr III- the definitive guide!

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
@TP
thanks buddy, but thats for TF3.

i found this -
Unlocked Sapphire HD6950 Dirt3 Edition
Just recently picked up a Sapphire HD6950 Dirt3 Edition. So far I am very pleased with the card. Shaders unlocked with the bios switch flip and it is a pretty solid overclocker as well. 970/1370 @ 1.18v stable
:))

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@TP
thanks buddy, but thats for TF3.

i found this -

:))

nice - I think now you've got what you were looking for - do let us know the results if you are going to apply 1.18v ;-)

Sapphirez

Right off the assembly line
Hi, I have the Sapphire 6950 1GB(dual fan) dirt 3 edition and after seeing this thread, I shut my PC down to look if my card has the small BIOS switch. It turns out there is actually the magic switch that I was looking for. I turned the swicth to the right, open my PC and launched GPU-Z and BAM! 1536 shaders. I was really surprised because I had a factory pre-installed 6970 BIOS in my GPU.

However, I switched back to the stock BIOS (1436) because I was worried about breaking my card. What do you guys think? Should I use the pre-installed 6970 BIOS switch? Keep in mind I have the 1GB edition. Thanks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ just use the the magic switch to enable 1536 Shaders and get extra performance - if the card remains stable through games and benches then congrats - you got a HD6970 and try bumping up the core and mem speed ( without changing volt ) similar to HD670 ;-)

Sapphirez

^^ just use the the magic switch to enable 1536 Shaders and get extra performance - if the card remains stable through games and benches then congrats - you got a HD6970 and try bumping up the core and mem speed ( without changing volt ) similar to HD670 ;-)
Well, I bumped the Core clock to 840 and the memory clock to 1325 with the unlocked shaders and I put the power control setting(in CCC) to +20. I've tried going with 880 and 1375(6970 clocks) but I got random freezes in BF3 so I guess it's stable at 840/1325.

Btw thanks alot for your response. :-o

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ looks like that's the limit but after 840/1328 core/mem speed try to increase the core/mem clock by 5 mhz only on each step untill the card becomes unstable in games - thus you will find the maximum stable clock speeds for your card ;-)

Sapphirez

^^ looks like that's the limit but after 840/1328 core/mem speed try to increase the core/mem clock by 5 mhz only on each step untill the card becomes unstable in games - thus you will find the maximum stable clock speeds for your card ;-)
Thanks again for your reply, and one more question, am I suppose to add more core voltage to the videocard after I've unlocked the extra shaders? Because I've tested with 3 softwares(trixx, CCC and msi afterburner) and they dont allow me to add more voltage. Only the power limit which is on +20.

Top Bottom