Samsung unveils Galaxy S5 with 5.1-inch screen

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
One of the highest-caliber debuts at this year’s MWC, the Samsung Galaxy S5 was just unveiled at the Unpacked 5 event. The flagship opens a new chapter in Samsung's design – the back is still leather-like, but with a brand new look.

*cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/14/02/galaxy-s5-official/gsmarena_001.jpg*cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/14/02/galaxy-s5-official/gsmarena_002.jpg

We’re looking at a longer feature list fifth year in a row – IP67 certification is a big one and so are the fingerprint sensor and heart rate monitor.

The core features too were duly updated to put the Galaxy S5 ahead of its S4 predecessor – a 5.1" Super AMOLED screen of 1080p resolution, Snapdragon 800 chipset with 2GB of RAM, 150Mbps LTE and a 16MP camera.

The camera only records 1080p video, much to the disappointment of everyone who took rumors to heart. With the new chipset and camera sensor, we were kinda expecting 2160p too.

Another thing that didn’t turn out as whispered was TouchWiz – it's new and based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat, but not as flat as some Holo fans would have hoped.

No switch to on-screen buttons either – the Galaxy S5 has three keys below the screen, this time an App Switcher button replacing the Menu key.

The Galaxy S5 will be available in four colors initially - Black, White, Blue and Copper. The US is getting only the Black and White ones though.

Source

Attachments

• gsmarena_001.jpg
    gsmarena_001.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 162
  • gsmarena_002.jpg
    gsmarena_002.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

dude1

Journeyman
Great thing they released it with a nexus 7 like back. It wont slip now. IP67 is god send!Fingerprint scanner was to be expected. The heart rate monitor would be surprise even for Apple! Overall good improvements but does anyone know if it has the new isocell camera everyone was talking about? Any word on lowlight performance?

tkin

Back to school!!
Leather back is nice, but still the core specs are just like all other flagships from 2013, nothing exceptional, no 64 bit CPU or upgraded Exynos. Design is still generic, how I wish more would start designing phones like HTC or Nokia.

PS:
Not even 3GB RAM? WTF?

rish1

Cyborg Agent
mark my words this is the year when samsung growth will start declining...

unbelievable they copy pasted this ugly design for 3 times first with s3 then s4 and now s5.. when they promised their loyal fanboys that s5 will have a great design..

Even the Nokia X looks better than this crap...

and 2gb ram ?????? :shock::shock::shock::shock:

hahahhaha unbelievable... this deserves nobel prize

they are the leading manufacturer with 4gb mobile ram already available, they launched note 3 with 3 gb ram...

now instead of increasing they are decreasing it to 2gb hahaha....

Seriously Xperia Z2 will easily take away at least 10 % of the sales from samsung... add 10 % to htc .. 15 % to LG

also there is no FM ?? :shock:

---------------EPIC FAIL-------------------

P.S --- there are rumors going on that there is a S5 premium version as well which will have all the features as rumored before.. if it turns out that that's the case then forget/disregard anything i said , this comment will self destruct and won't belong to me :wink:

Last edited:

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
Its the same old **** different shell,no innovation at all unless you consider a heartbeat sensor as an innovation.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Not that great of an upgrade except the camera lol
I mean not even 3 GB RAM?!?

Dr. House

No Regrets
High expectation from HTC M8. I hope the price would be around 40k for Indian market for all these phones.

$hadow

Geek in making
Well the phone looks good but the 2 GB ram is a shortcoming considering that others brands have started giving 3gb ram. But this is a big call since many s3 users didn't upgraded to S4 so initially they were waiting for s5. So the success of this phone depends on that core Samsung followers. Personally I would stay away from Samsung for a couple of years at least. So from my side no upgrade to s5.

LegendKiller

In the zone
well people panning s5 for "lack of innovation" can please tell me what revolution nokia/sony/htc is bringing to the table this year or last year?
S3 was a real deal-breaker and it is nearly impossible to change the best. Any successor can only be minor increment as far design or hardware specs are concerned.

People who go crazy about spec , literally, should know my s3 is holding just fine with 2012 specs in 2014. And with samsung being so good about giving android updates, i have 4.3 running on it smoothly.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
My question to people who are not content with 2 GB RAM is - Why are we even asking for above 2GB RAM at all? What is the use of higher RAM when your phone is already blazing fast with 2GB now?

Arent our fancies of higher specs feeding the cause of shitcrap mobiles that Samsung are coming with? We ask for specs, they give us some specs and call it innovation. So before blaming them, we should realize we are making the calls and they are cashing on it.

So people who are crying here for more should realize that all you buy for the money is not used to the fullest. So better ask for what is essential and not just some fancy specs.

- - - Updated - - -

well people panning s5 for "lack of innovation" can please tell me what revolution nokia/sony/htc is bringing to the table this year or last year?
S3 was a real deal-breaker and it is nearly impossible to change the best. Any successor can only be minor increment as far design or hardware specs are concerned.

People who go crazy about spec , literally, should know my s3 is holding just fine with 2012 specs in 2014. And with samsung being so good about giving android updates, i have 4.3 running on it smoothly.

Completely agree with you. Exactly my point.

dude1

Journeyman
My question to people who are not content with 2 GB RAM is - Why are we even asking for above 2GB RAM at all? What is the use of higher RAM when your phone is already blazing fast with 2GB now?

Arent our fancies of higher specs feeding the cause of shitcrap mobiles that Samsung are coming with? We ask for specs, they give us some specs and call it innovation. So before blaming them, we should realize we are making the calls and they are cashing on it.

So people who are crying here for more should realize that all you buy for the money is not used to the fullest. So better ask for what is essential and not just some fancy specs.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree with you. Exactly my point.
True. Though I feel they should have updated the design more, whatever they have done is a really good update if you are coming from a 2 year old flagship or lower end devices. What I don't understand is when apple included fingerprint scanner everyone was happy.Sony bought xperia z with water resistance all are happy. Now that sammy has included that as well as a heart rate monitor, a snapdragon 805 and IP67 rating no one is content? At this point we have pretty much reached saturation level with specs. What we really need now is better design, more battery and more fluid and memory efficient OS...

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
True. Though I feel they should have updated the design more, whatever they have done is a really good update if you are coming from a 2 year old flagship or lower end devices. What I don't understand is when apple included fingerprint scanner everyone was happy.Sony bought xperia z with water resistance all are happy. Now that sammy has included that as well as a heart rate monitor, a snapdragon 805 and IP67 rating no one is content? At this point we have pretty much reached saturation level with specs. What we really need now is better design, more battery and more fluid and memory efficient OS...

Its the expectations. Samsung has raised the bar every time they released a galaxy series phones (alteast people believe so). But this time the h/w is similar to the earlier release (or are available in market already) and suddenly the goodies included (call it samsung features) looked so senseless and weak.

Just to support your view and further discuss on 2 year upgrades, its always better to upgrade ones mobile after skipping a release frame or two every time. By doing so, you will realize the spec changes and appreciate it much more than simply bragging about what you have with the latest phone and cribbing about the next release.

In my case, I started with Nokia 5800 (the then claimed to be an iPhone killer, what a joke i must say) and then got myself a Galaxy S (purely coz i loved live wallpaper :p). Then I was deeply into flashing ROMS on S. Skipped Note (coz of the size) and S2. I got my wife a S3 when S3 launched and gifted myself a Note 2 (thinking i can manage the size) when it was released. I used it for more than a year and got myself a Nexus5 only because I couldnt manage the size of Note2 anymore. But i was happy with its performance.

So the gist is, skipping couple of releases is actually the better way to go about it unless you are filthy rich to change the mobile every 4 months.

Top Bottom