Samsung P2370 + HD 6850 display issue

OP
Akshay

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Issue resolved now... even the msi card worked fine. btw how do i find out if the card is toxic and not the normal 6850 (though my bill says toxic just wanted to confirm)

mohiuddin

Journeyman
sapphire 6950 2gb has serious issue while unlocking.
U can be sure whether it is toxic or not, by seeing the cooler.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
Is sapphire produces low quality chipsets compared to other companies, cuz their products malfunction very quickly.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^its not like that
sapphire has a good reputation for manufacturing AMD cards
their toxic series is deadly

mohiuddin

Journeyman
see this -
AMD Radeon HD 6950 to HD 6970 Mod | techPowerUp

out of 242, 230 sapphires unlock successfully.

i saw in guru3d '6950unlock' sticky thread under 'amd gfxcard' section, there many sapphire6950 2gb users got physical damage of card in effort to unlock it...they strongly recommanded to avoid unlocking sapphire ones.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^here most get it unlocked successfully -
all Radeon 6950 ONLY flashing/shader unlock/overclocking info - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

BTW this one -\MSI R 6950 2PM2D2GD5 Graphics Card
also unlocks Newegg.com - MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
If 6950 is to be purchased for unlocking purpose, then i recommend gigabyte 6950 2gb. Its the same card our forum member rchi84 purchased @ 16.5k including taxes and has written an indepth post on how to safely unlock it by flashing the bios and without any voltage increments.

The sapphire ones i heard need some vcore increments in order to increase the memory clocks to the 6970 level. On doing so, some cards had gone kaput. Its better to pm rchi84 on this. He might have some info.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
not necessarily gigabyte. almost all manufacturers have high unlocking rate. see the TPU link.

moreover people here in TE have unlocked sapphires -
Calling all 6950 2GB owners - unlock details.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ yes sapphires can be unlocked but not as safely as gigabyte. Rchi84 will answer your questions better. His unlocked 6950 was unstable in furmark but stable in all other benches.

See when you unlock the shaders without incrementing the clocks, the performance difference is almost negligible. Taking the clocks to 6970 level requires you to increment the vcore and i had heard that doing do, had damaged many cards. Rchi84 was saying so.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^Calling all 6950 2GB owners - unlock details.

I have unlocked my Sapphire 6950 2 GB with shaders only patch using wizzards script. I urge everyone to use wizzards patch not just use a 6970 bios for the following reasons :-
1. Less risk, the script just modifies the bios to enable the additional shaders leaving everything else untouched. The 6950's memory is rated at 1250 mhz unlike the 6970's which is rated at 1500 mhz. The timings are also tighter for the 6970, so man people believe that this is what is causing permanent damage to a small number of flashed 6950's. So far no one has reported an issue with just unlocking the shaders.
2. You get voltage control using AfterBurner. Afterburner does not support voltage control on 6950 flashed with 6970 bios.
3. Lesser power consumption/noise/temperature. I am running at 850/1400 stock voltages and it runs very stable for hours on furmark and kombuster and the temperature hits 79 max at 45 % fan speed (custom more aggressive fan profile).
The only disadvantage I faced is that I have to run a overclocking software like Afterburner to bump up clocks to 6970 levels.

though its less than 6970's 870 but still not bad.

sapphire again and 2 in crossfire -

the heat and power consumption after unlocking is around the same ball park as a reference HD 6970....but I am having trouble running these two puppies at HD 6970 speeds....so i would say the unlocking of shaders will get u to about 95% of a stock clocked 6970 performance....for example my 6950 unlocked in xfire is roughly equivalent to the 6990 at stock clocks ( 830-C 5Ghz-M) which in turn is around 5-6 % slower than 6970 xfire (880-C 5.5ghz-M)

he has crossfired but not able to run at 6970 speeds.

and BTW see newegg.
msi is also 100% stable after oc.

coming to msi one -

Newegg.com - MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Purchased this card in early April and immediately unlocked the 6970 shaders. Running at stock 6970 speeds (880/1375) with no problems. Performance and value are amazing. I am running Dragon Age 2 at 1920x1200, Direct X 11, Full AA and AF, Ultra High quality and averaging 40 FPS.

more on msi from newegg

Can be easily unlocked to 6970 shaders (Google how to)
- My card overclocked and unlocked to 6970 shaders and 950MHz core and 1450MHz memory on stock 6970 voltages (1.175v)
- Plays any and every game I have thrown at it (Crysis, Crysis 2, GTA IV, Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Metro 2033, etc.) flawlessly with maxed out graphics at 1920x1200 resolution on my system (see other thoughts). The only game that dropped down to ~30fps was GTA IV (horribly optimized console port) and Metro 2033 (which favors NVIDIA cards and is very taxing).
- Runs cool even with the stock cooler. I get temps of around 60C idle (auto fan...it runs at 30% on idle) and 70C load while playing Crysis (auto fan...it runs at 50% on load) while my ambient is ~25C. While the fan is UBER loud at 100% speeds, I have never reached that high on auto fan so it is relatively quiet.
- Drivers are ROCK stable...people need to stop complaining that AMD drivers suck b/c they DON'T!
- Crossfire it! :

rchi84

In the zone
kyun mere bhaiyyon, kyun? In a thread where the OP has settled for a 6850, itna khoon kharaba kyun? lol

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ No buddy there is no bloodshed here.:grin:. I asked jas for some results on unlocked 6950 and he posted some links. That's it.:smile:

Top Bottom