Samsung or Seegate!!! which Hard Disk is better and why ?

Samsung or Seagate! which Hard Disk is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightRider

Broken In
In the assemble market the seagate and samsung are ruling!! so which hdd is better?? in all way warranty, perfomance,, long lasting etc..............

Biplav

In the zone
well seagate:
coz i am not sure whether this is still followed:
but when i got my hdd 5months back- seagate was giving 5yrs warranty bt samsung gave only 3!!!

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I'm usually reluctant to enter into a brand comparision because it often leads to fruitless flame wars. The most damaging of such posts is when people post biased, baseless and unresearched opinions that often mislead others.

Based on my experience with hundreds of hard disks, and that of friends and professional acquaintances, Seagate HDDs are more reliable than Samsung drives. Posts in newsgroups also seem to indicate this.

Some people have had better experience with Samsung drives than with Seagate drives. But the overall statistics favour Seagate by a good margin.

Performance-wise, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the two - in real-life usage as against synthetic benchmarks.

For some years Seagate drives were generally considered to be the quietest, but recent Samsung drives appear to be slightly quieter.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
but when i got my hdd 5months back- seagate was giving 5yrs warranty bt samsung gave only 3!!!

Weird I thought all hard disk manufacturers dropped the 5 year warranty plan ages ago , I might be wrong but when I bought my Seagate HDD about 7 months ago I was told it only had a one year warranty :shock: ( It might be three but Im absolutely sure it wasnt 5)

Edit : My bad, I just checked with my friend and confirmed it was 5 years :oops:

AlienTech

In the zone
You need to compare particular models at particular times. There is no such thing as one being better than others through the years. When I was looking to buy my last one I saw Samsung used 80GB platters, so my 160GB HD had 2 of em while the others used 3-40GB platters. To me the 2 platter drive was better since performance is better and it uses a little less power.

One of the main problems here is you can not get the latest one so it is even hard to make a comparison. One brand might have the new drive while the others are older models.

Generally speaking throughout the years Samsung is in the top 100 drive makers, coming in around position 99 while Seagate is in the top 50 coming in around position 49. But things do change with the time. Who ever decides to put in money for research and development will win. Seems they are both now doing that. While the old winners Quantum, Maxtor etc are falling behind.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Mahesh Babu said:
Dont know but Seagate is better due to its 5 year warranty
Samsung too 5 yrs.

Barracuda IV consistently ran at least 2 degrees C hotter than the other drive (Samsung). So, if you compare two brands, today's Samsung may be slightly ahead than today's Seagate. Obviously, Barracuda is one of the most trusted names in the world of PATA-HDD for several years.
But, where is Hitachi's HDD with 8 MB of buffer cache memory and low latency. It is faster, really faster.

Charley

Just Do It
Seagate has very less problems ... Ive been using a 8 GB and 1.4 GB drive for a long time and no probs of even badsectros. It is very efficient.

Charley

Just Do It
hcp006sl said:
But, where is Hitachi's HDD with 8 MB of buffer cache memory and low latency. It is faster, really faster.

M8, first of all the choices are Seagate/Samsung...

Next dont go for a brand that is new.

busyanuj

In the zone
Samsung drives are definitely a bit quieter than Seagate, but Seagate gives better performance plus a 5 year warranty.

AlienTech

In the zone
I would go for Hitachi/IBM. I have a 10 meg MFM drive made in the early 80's and it has no bad sectors and still works so I guess that would be saying it is the best. Since new HD's hide bad sectors it is hard to see them unless you use a S.M.A.R.T utility and look where the bad sectors are remapped to. So I say go for IBM, now Hitachi if you want realibility... IBM was making HD's long before Seagate. BAH! Its like saying the price of tea in china is much cheaper than india.

So I bought a Samsung 160GB a couple of months back and like it.

G

gxsaurav

In all my life, I have used Samsung Harddisks only, from the Pentium 2 days, of using a 8 GB HD to Pentium 3 days & a 20 GB HD & now on a Pentium 4, I was using a Samsung 40 GB SP4002H hard disk, & now I recently upgraded to a 80 GB Samsung SATA Hard disk with 8 MB Buffer

*www.samsung.com/in/products/harddiskdrives/sata/sp0812c.asp

they have never failed me, dam silent & cool, I have never used a seagate HD so can't say the drawbacks & pros, but for samsung, I can assure U, they are quite good

shaunak

Tux Fan
samsung and seagate both give 5 yr warenties and cost exactly the same. only thing that seperates the two is after sales. So far my experience with samsung has been way better.

[i had a 40gb seagate n now i have a 80gb samsung sp080]

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
My vote goes for Seagate. I had my first Seagate HD with my Celeron 366. It was a 4.3 GB drive. Its still working as it used to work when new. And it has already been more than 6 years now. Seagate rocks. To add icing to the cake now you have 5 yr warranty as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom