Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN ... should i buy it or not??

rahulbalmuri

ωιтн gяєαт gяαρнι¢ѕ......
I'm hearing all the chatter in this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/159661-samsung-series-5-550p-laptops-thread.html about Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN... if i go seeing the specs of it.. i want to buy it blindly.. but after seeing the thread.. i'm a bit worried cuz.. is it reliable to buy it??

i'm hearing throttlling issues... and some r even gng for refund... so finally... someone pls tell me... shud i buy it or not???

my second option is to go for HP M6 Laptops... 3rd Dell Inspiron SPL Edition....???

if not Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN then what??? ideapd Lenovo Y580 isn;t available here... :(

saaransh9

Journeyman
I'm hearing all the chatter in this thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/laptops-netbooks/159661-samsung-series-5-550p-laptops-thread.html about Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN... if i go seeing the specs of it.. i want to buy it blindly.. but after seeing the thread.. i'm a bit worried cuz.. is it reliable to buy it??

i'm hearing throttlling issues... and some r even gng for refund... so finally... someone pls tell me... shud i buy it or not???

my second option is to go for HP M6 Laptops... 3rd Dell Inspiron SPL Edition....???

if not Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN then what??? ideapd Lenovo Y580 isn;t available here... :(

the same is my condition but i will wait till nvidia releases stble drivers or else would go fordell inspiron14r se only bcoz of its graphic card which is better than 15r

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
its more related to bios than drivers i guess. Anandtech reviewed Samsung series 7 with similar config (quad core) and same 90W adapter. Check if they encountered any throttling as it looks to be related to lack of power and not heat.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Right now I won't suggest to go for NP550. Wait for sometime.

Update: Thank you so much @Sam. Well I went through almost whole review, the throttling is not because of 90W charger as they didn't mention anything related to it. The throttling was because Samsung didn't designed it better. Though the throttling could be reduced with a BIOS update(if Samsung release a decent BIOS update). Temps are almost similar to what TDF members are getting. And they have clearly mentioned that with the age the dust will accumulate inside laptop which will increase the temp and eventually the occurrence of throttling.
Still I will recommend to only people who don't game on high setting(forget ultra) and that too not for long hours. Conclusion,this is not a gaming laptop,we all know already,but still if we can't even enjoy occasional gaming then what the hell. This laptop does have a good screen, keyboard layout and not much heavy(saying exact word from review and some personal opinion) and the price is good compare to others, can be said as VFM(still) for people who are not into high/ultra gaming. I am still waiting for nVidia drivers then I will have a clear picture.
If anyone don't want to go through whole review and just want info on throttling then go to 'thermal and acoustic page'.
AnandTech - Samsung Series 7 NP700Z7C Review
Personally I will not recommend now cause most of us want their 50k/60k laptop to run for atleast 3yrs without much of a problem and it doesn't seem so in this laptop.

@Sam: the laptop reviewed on anandtech have GT650 M DDR5 with a base clock of 745MHz . We all have DDR3 with base clock 405MHz, so is it possible that samsung has clocked it down or it is like that in DDR3 version? Anyway we are getting around 840MHz as a max. So any problem here?

EDIT: guys please, if discussion is big then don't do it here, take it to NP550 thread, so that i can keep up with you guys. :)

Last edited:

ujjwal007

Lost in games
its a must buy guys i also waited for long and very confused should i buy it or not but i purchased it 2 days ago.... just remove one thing from mind...this machine is not for heavy gaming... everything here just rocks! looks , sound , battery , weight just everything is good!! jbl is just amazing i played buly , burnout paradise , virtual tennis 4 , roller coaster 3 , bus driver , so far... temps were 73 in bully only and in other its just 65 i will recommend for sure!! and i m sure samsumg will atleast solve some problem in comind updates!! go for it!! nthg will be here in 58k it looks to me like ultrabook :razz:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@Sam: the laptop reviewed on anandtech have GT650 M DDR5 with a base clock of 745MHz . We all have DDR3 with base clock 405MHz, so is it possible that samsung has clocked it down or it is like that in DDR3 version? Anyway we are getting around 840MHz as a max. So any problem here?

GDDR5 memory cost lot more than DDR3 so it was just a pricecutting measure. another point is GDDR5 requires more voltage. About the clock, can't say as anandtech may have tested differently or different drivers so the idle clock showed different.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@Sam: thank you for reply. One thing really disappoint me that samsung did not used proper components to deliver a really good product, just to cut the price down(according to anandtech). And as you said, GDDR5 need more voltage than GDDR3, but even in that 7 series,that is a gaming series, they used a 90W adapter. What is samsung trying to do here? The price is really good but the truth is bitter behind this low cost.

ratul

█████████████████
@Sam: thank you for reply. One thing really disappoint me that samsung did not used proper components to deliver a really good product, just to cut the price down(according to anandtech). And as you said, GDDR5 need more voltage than GDDR3, but even in that 7 series,that is a gaming series, they used a 90W adapter. What is samsung trying to do here? The price is really good but the truth is bitter behind this low cost.

well they have to compromise somewhere, do you know any other model giving subwoofer, GT650m, 900p, i7, matte display under 60k???
acc to me, companies think that we indians are still not ready for premium products, most of the companies entertain US, AUS like countries, where they get buyers for their product too easily.
One of the members said the same thing about DELL, they use their cheapest parts to assemble the lappies in india, in US @ same cost (or even less), you get the top notch product...
Samsung doing the same thing, and why you think HP released dv6 with 650m months ago in US, still it's not here???

pratyush997

Inactive
^^Hi bro !!! u know acc. my experience. that 900p display is kinda foggy.i7 faqin throttles only matte display and subwoofer r f9!! they provided 90W instead of 120W...bezel felt brittle and temps...101C ..I got defective though!!

ratul

█████████████████
^^Hi bro !!! u know acc. my experience. that 900p display is kinda foggy.i7 faqin throttles only matte display and subwoofer r f9!! they provided 90W instead of 120W...bezel felt brittle and temps...101C ..I got defective though!!

well i don't think you got defective piece, you are one of the oldest user of 550p and temps vary acc to surroundings, someone living in shimla won't get equal temps as someone living in rajasthan, also it depends on how you have maintained your system, now i have many s/w installed on my lappy, my ram usage after reboot is 2.3-2.4GB, so many processes are running in background, result: normal temps for me are now 50-53 while browsing, earlier was 48..

And yeah, matte uses some coatings which reduces color quality...

TheSloth

The Slowest One
@ratul: you are right that they cant give everything in 50k. But the thing they have given for the reason isn't happening. The GT650 is a mid high end card, it is suppose to run games at atleast high settings. If they wanted to provide a high end multimedia laptop which could play high def videos then i guess HD4000 is enough. But with GT650, i think they targeted at not-so-hardcore gamers(more than casual gamers) but the purpose has totally failed, occasional gaming is not possible and down the line it going to get more worse. And i would have still bought this laptop if it had only gt650, they could have compromised in speakers and provided better cooling. I am paying 50k not just to watch movies in high def but to enjoy games not at in high def but atleast in 720p. Lets take this discussion in NP550 thread.

SlayerAndy

Broken In
The first time people started going crazy over the 550 was the time I started doubting it. I really think it is a short distance runner. Call it Usain Bolt maybe. People opt it because of lower price and crazy performance, and I really hope it lasts long for them to get a worth of their hard earned money. No offense.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
If you can provide something solid i'll be happy. Cause it too have ivy bridge. If you find something share with me too.

Broken In
If you can provide something solid i'll be happy. Cause it too have ivy bridge. If you find something share with me too.

I have 17R S.E.... I can max out most games.. Darksiders 2 maxed out : 45 to 60fps :) ... No throttling in any games I have played so far!!!! :)

After 60minutes of Darksiders 2... Cpu max : 82
Gpu Max :74

Cpuid.

Top Bottom