Samsung Galaxy S II

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if any of you has issues with Wifi. I mean..I am standing right next to my router and SGS2 shows only 1 bar? Frequent drop outs happen too and I keep on getting disconnected from the IRC. I have to switch Wifi off and then on a lot of times.

I am running stock firmware 2.3.3 and haven't rooted yet. Can't find time to do so. :(

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
I wonder if any of you has issues with Wifi. I mean..I am standing right next to my router and SGS2 shows only 1 bar? Frequent drop outs happen too and I keep on getting disconnected from the IRC. I have to switch Wifi off and then on a lot of times.

I am running stock firmware 2.3.3 and haven't rooted yet. Can't find time to do so. :(

No issues with mine, but saw many threads in XDA regarding similar issue, check if Custom ROM's can fix the issue.
*forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1067473&page=7
All the SII's have got some problem or the other it seems, mine had this yellow patch issue, got 2 replacement phones, third one is due, meanwhile Darky's ROM "almost" fixed the issue.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Human Spambot
You should, the old market is fine at everything but sometimes it takes time to start downloading an app. There is Market 3.1.6, have no wish to try it until I get the update automatically. You could try by yourself anyway.
[App] Android Market 3.1.6 - xda-developers

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
You should, the old market is fine at everything but sometimes it takes time to start downloading an app. There is Market 3.1.6, have no wish to try it until I get the update automatically. You could try by yourself anyway.
[App] Android Market 3.1.6 - xda-developers
DO NOT install 3.1.6. It's signed differently.. May be malicious..

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Suggest a good case and screen protector for it. Case should not be bulky but provide adequate protection.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suggest a good case and screen protector for it. Case should not be bulky but provide adequate protection.

I ordered the screen guard available on Flipkart. And quite frankly, it had made the gorgeous screen look very dull.

I removed it and went to a shop (a small meet with Krow). He had the same screen guard. :(

ithehappy

Human Spambot
DO NOT install 3.1.6. It's signed differently.. May be malicious..
Nah. Didn't know about Sign but I wasn't gonna install it. I am very happy with 2.3.6.

I am using this protective screen, frankly with my usage, ie- more than rough, it's giving me good result. Some scratches here and there, but not visible except direct sunlight. Pricey, but vfm IMO.

Welcome to Scratchgard

And can't say about adequate protection, but Tough does provide damn good protection. So I guess Pop or Barely There will be good for adequate protection, can't guarantee on that however.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
matrixrewriter: Android Market 3.2.0, direct APK download, signed by Google: *t.co/vPrUWpAS

Original Tweet: *twitter.com/matrixrewriter/status/125954740315103232

aniket.cain

Padawan
Hi everyone,

I have made up my mind to get a Galaxy S2. I'll be ordering it from Letsbuy in a couple of days. I am getting it for 28k from there by using the discount coupon.
However, I would like to clear up a few queries first with all of you.
If I get the phone from Letsbuy, and have any issues with the screen, like the yellow patch, or some tint of other color, where do I take it? To Samsung service centre, of course. My question is, will they replace the phone easily? Any body having experience in this matter? Like, some people have got their phone replaced more than a couple of times. Any such guy who bought it online? How much time does it take to have the replacement in hand?
Also, any other problems with this phone, in general? Like the GPS issue of Galaxy S?

Thanks in advance...

red dragon

Master troll
Got mine replaced in 5 days in Kolkata(yellow patch),did not buy it online though.
Bought from a friendly neighbour`s shop,got the replacement from the Samsung SC.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Three replacements here, one from Dealer, two from Samsung Service and finally getting full refund from Samsung :D

Did you buy the phone online? Why are you getting a refund?? Samsung ran out of phones with proper displays?? :x

Got mine replaced in 5 days in Kolkata(yellow patch),did not buy it online though.
Bought from a friendly neighbour`s shop,got the replacement from the Samsung SC.

The one you got after replacement has the defect-free display?
I have heard about so many replacements that I am really skeptical of buying the phone now. :x

red dragon

Master troll
It PROBABLY does not have any defect now.
The yellow patch issue is actually blown waay out of proportion,it is only visible at very low level of brightness,I went for the replacement as the dealer pushed me for it.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
I was under the same illusion before buying it, that yellow patch issue is blown out of proportion. Turns out it is PITA.

And thanks to auto brightness I was reminded of it almost everytime. It took me a comparison with a proper S2 to realize how bad the screen tint was, apart from the Yellow patch.

Coming to the replacement, I took up the issue with Samsung India service head and they changed 6+ 7 screens before thinking of a replacement and with every single screen change, the color tint was different and brightness levels were uneven.

Even with custom firmwares, it became a game of luck. Some roms made yellow patch significant & some almost eliminated it.

Also a few days back pink spot issue in camera started appearing, both on default rom & custom Roms.

Due to all these they couldn't guarantee a proper replacement as they themselves agreed that S2 has issues. So they decided to refund the amount instead.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Whatever. That yellow shadow is only visible when using a Gray Background and that with less than 25% brightness. It's not a thing about which we should be worried. Still I hate the Yellowish White of S-AMOLED Plus, maybe it has 3:1 sharpness ration, but I liked normal S-AMOLED way better than Plus one.
Screen Adjuster is a good app, I've added Blue +7 and that removes the Yellowish White a little bit, Bluish White is far better than Yellowish White, IMO.

aniket.cain

Padawan
Okay, so even if the yellow tint is not a major concern, but that still leaves the different color tints. It seems most S2s have this problem of some kind of color tint. Some owner posted a pic of 3 phones in another thread, and all were having different tints.

Top Bottom