Sabayon Linux and Mepis querries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is sabayon linux really the most advanced Linux distro.it looks quite cool!!
Im DLing mepis and sabayon 2nite.Shud i try sabayon linux first or mepis??
PLzz share ur linux and mepis experiences guys:D

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Mempis is based on debian while Sabayon is based on gentoo. I gues you'd feel more at home in mempis. But sabayon has a slick UI. There is no particular order in which you should try!

But again as a word of advice, try in VM.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@Sunny, people tend to call that to Sabayon because it comes with all the codecs and polished UI. Apart from that, I don't see anything that Sabayon can do that others can't.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
As far as Sabayon goes.. It has gr8 ATI support .. now it has got ATI CC by deafult.. . Sabayon has Portato Package manager.. which will get replaced in next release. Portato is good but pretty confusing .. Once you get used to it, its child's play.. Sabayon has gpt gr8 games and it has got multimedia out of teh box.. it has gr8 wifi support ;) thats all makes Sabayon a perfect desktop but Sabayon always seems to be sluggish.. atleast in my system ::|

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Gentoo has a great package management system called portage but it is something that has a steep learning curve. Then again, sabayon is based on gentoo unstable. That is, the most cutting edge distro. That is the actual reason why sabayon is called most advanced distro. But, the price you pay for it is that you won't be able to update or install anything by yourself without going through a lot of hassles initially. You will need to learn a lot of things. But, gentoo is worth it all.
But, if you want to take small steps then better go with mepis.

mehulved

Your take.
Sabayon = most cutting edge but you won't be able to update anything till next release. you may not be able to install anything expect in the dvd, either, huge amount of software out of the box
mepis = comparatively older, easier to use apt to manage softwares, may miss latest version of certain drivers and softwares which you may need especially if you have very new hardware, smaller learning curve.

Your take.
Sabayon = most cutting edge but you won't be able to update anything till next release. you may not be able to install anything expect in the dvd, either, huge amount of software out of the box
mepis = comparatively older, easier to use apt to manage softwares, may miss latest version of certain drivers and softwares which you may need especially if you have very new hardware, smaller learning curve.
Y wont i be able to DL updates and SWs on sabayon?:confused:

mehulved

You can but it will be more difficult as portage has a higher learning curve. And entropy isn't yet stable.

Holy sh1t!!!neither sabayon nor mepis is booting from the live CD but both are booting on my bro's P4,7600 GS:(
I think i must stick to vista x64 and use ubuntu hardy only.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I haf the same problem with sabayon too. It doesn't boot on my 8500gt. I think the 8 series nvidia gfx cards haf some allergy with certain linux distros.

praka123

left this forum longback
slackware is NOT a n00b friendly distro.also,installing slackware can be said as a "crash course" to Linux :p
-same can be said with gentoo too!-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom