RX480 and Polaris Thread

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
RX 480 - Rs. 27,200
SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD RX 480 8GB DDR

*tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png

AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.

*media.bestofmicro.com/A/N/591359/original/18-Gaming-Bars.png
With peaks of up to 155W, we have to be thankful they're brief, and not putting the motherboard in any immediate danger. However, the audio subsystems on cheaper platforms will have a hard time dealing with them. This means that the "you can hear what you see" effect will be in full force during load changes; activities like scrolling may very well result in audible artifacts.

Stress Test Power Consumption

*media.bestofmicro.com/B/0/591372/original/28-Torture-Bars.png
Believe it or not, the situation gets even worse. AMD's Radeon RX 480 draws 90W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot during our stress test. This is a full 20 percent above the limit.
To be clear, your motherboard isn't going to catch fire. But standards exist for a reason. All of the components around the PCIe slot and along the path from the slot to the 24-pin ATX connector will suffer from the peaks. And depending on your platform's design, audio problems may also materialize.

Bottom Line

There’s no doubt that Polaris is more efficient than its predecessors. However, the design's efficiency isn't what enthusiasts might have been hoping for. The Radeon RX 480 significantly exceeds its official TDP. Moreover, distribution between the motherboard’s PCIe slot and the auxiliary power connector isn't optimal either. It’s up to AMD’s partners to design cards without these shortcomings.

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Taxes have killed that card straight to DOA in India. A GTX 970 can be bought at around 25-27K, a fresh new tech card which performs at par or rarely manages to beat it after OC, after two damn years, costing same or more! Absolutely farcical! I was so up for a buy this time, I really hoped it would be trading blows with GTX 980 directly at about 18-20K, heck even I was thinking selling my queen 970. Bummer!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Indian prices of the last few generations of AMD's cards were all f**ed up (and they still are) coupled with thin availability, just hoping whatever issues they were having will be corrected this time.

Yes I also hope for good pricing to start even to recommend this card in future builds...

OP
BakBob

BakBob

Mods changed my name :(
Its not a reference card issue. The specifications of the 480 cause an average draw of 82W when PCIe specs is only 66W.

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Oh read up a little would you? It is a reference card issue added with the fact it has 8gb VRAM which it doesn't have the horsepower to pull.
And the reference version only comes with a 6 pin connector which provides around 75watts. Since the card itself pulls 164 on load its spiking the rest from the motherboard pci slot. A custom design card with an 8 pin and a 6pin or 2 8 pins would resolve this issue.

Also, this is not the only card which spikes over the 75watt limit of the pci e slot.

Here,watch this video over at adoredtv.

[YOUTUBE]*www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFuYc2FHgjw[/YOUTUBE]

Polaris - Power Problems or PCI Exaggeration? - YouTub

Also, note that the spikes were mostly when they were running metro last light at 4k.

Also, PCI e slots deliver around 75watts. not 66.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
If they add a 8-pin or extra 6-pin slot, it's going to increase the price of the board. And the only plus point of the card - price/performance ratio vanishes.

- - - Updated - - -

The 66W figure is for 12V rail without the tolerance added.

12V @ 5.5A WITH MAX 8% TOLERANCE
3.3 @ 3.0A WITH MAX 9% TOLERANCE
12V MAX = 71.3W
3.3V MAX = 10.8W
According to Tom's Hardware:
RX480 GAMING (metro 4k) AVERAGE is 82W (> 71.3W) on 12V

*media.bestofmicro.com/A/N/591359/original/18-Gaming-Bars.png

And read this where they test GTX 960:
Power Consumption Concerns on the Radeon RX 480 | PC Perspectiv

OP
BakBob

BakBob

Mods changed my name :(
Oh read up a little would you? It is a reference card issue added with the fact it has 8gb VRAM which it doesn't have the horsepower to pull.
And the reference version only comes with a 6 pin connector which provides around 75watts. Since the card itself pulls 164 on load its spiking the rest from the motherboard pci slot. A custom design card with an 8 pin and a 6pin or 2 8 pins would resolve this issue.

Also, this is not the only card which spikes over the 75watt limit of the pci e slot.

Here,watch this video over at adoredtv.

[YOUTUBE]*www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFuYc2FHgjw[/YOUTUBE]

Polaris - Power Problems or PCI Exaggeration? - YouTub

Also, note that the spikes were mostly when they were running metro last light at 4k.

Also, PCI e slots deliver around 75watts. not 66.

Hardware.fr confirms the issue is with design of PCB too. They have a retail version (Sapphire 480) which exhibits the same problem. They also confirms the power usage going over 150W with both a review and retail version of the card.
They added also something interesting, they removed power and temperature limits and tested the card with no OC. The card pulled almost 200W in Witcher 3.
Source: Consommation, efficacité énergétique - AMD Radeon RX 480 8 Go : 14nm et Polaris en test - HardWare.fr
Relevant parts:
Rappelons, comme expliqué dans le descriptif de la carte de référence, que la RX 480 n'est équipée que d'un seul connecteur d'alimentation 6 broches, ce qui fait qu'il tire une grosse partie de sa consommation, à peu près la moitié, parfois un peu plus, du bus PCI Express. Elle va à ce niveau bien au-delà de la spécification qui est de 5.5A. Dans Battlefield 4, nous mesurons 6.92A par défaut et 7.10A en 'Uber'. Une valeur qui monte à 7.79A dans The Witcher 3 et qui impose un stress pour lequel toutes les cartes-mères ne sont pas prévues.
"RX 480 comes with a 6 pins PCIE and most of the power drain is shared between the 6 pins and the PCI Express port (sometime more on the latter). The cards does go way over the specs which is 5.5A. In Battlefield 4, we are getting 6.92A and 7.10A with OC (called "Uber" mode in the review). Witcher 3 goes even higher with 7.79A. This stress is not expected on all motherboards."

Read up. That video you linked is by a guy who knows nothing.

Pasapa

Live to die another day
Hardware.fr confirms the issue is with design of PCB too. They have a retail version (Sapphire 480) which exhibits the same problem. They also confirms the power usage going over 150W with both a review and retail version of the card.
They added also something interesting, they removed power and temperature limits and tested the card with no OC. The card pulled almost 200W in Witcher 3.
Source: Consommation, efficacité énergétique - AMD Radeon RX 480 8 Go : 14nm et Polaris en test - HardWare.fr
Relevant parts:
Rappelons, comme expliqué dans le descriptif de la carte de référence, que la RX 480 n'est équipée que d'un seul connecteur d'alimentation 6 broches, ce qui fait qu'il tire une grosse partie de sa consommation, à peu près la moitié, parfois un peu plus, du bus PCI Express. Elle va à ce niveau bien au-delà de la spécification qui est de 5.5A. Dans Battlefield 4, nous mesurons 6.92A par défaut et 7.10A en 'Uber'. Une valeur qui monte à 7.79A dans The Witcher 3 et qui impose un stress pour lequel toutes les cartes-mères ne sont pas prévues.
"RX 480 comes with a 6 pins PCIE and most of the power drain is shared between the 6 pins and the PCI Express port (sometime more on the latter). The cards does go way over the specs which is 5.5A. In Battlefield 4, we are getting 6.92A and 7.10A with OC (called "Uber" mode in the review). Witcher 3 goes even higher with 7.79A. This stress is not expected on all motherboards."

Read up. That video you linked is by a guy who knows nothing.
AMD has said that they will fix this with a software update by July 5th.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
I have read up actually. :) You are dense aren't you? The sapphire version comes with a 6 pin connector as well. And that is a part of the problem.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Underolting performance of RX 480. Not sure if this is fix AMD is going to bring through tomorrow's update, but performance actually goes up after undervolting. :p

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Underolting performance of RX 480. Not sure if this is fix AMD is going to bring through tomorrow's update, but performance actually goes up after undervolting. :p
Undervolting without under clocking is big deal

Let's see where does this take RX480 now

Sent from my Xperia Z

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Undervolting without under clocking is big deal Let's see where does this take RX480 now Sent from my Xperia Z
Actually, the lower VDCC is stabilizing the core clock slightly higher (which in turn is contributing to the slightly higher fps).

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Has RX480 made it to Indian shores? I have been looking for pricing on Amazon, but can't find its listing.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Has RX480 made it to Indian shores? I have been looking for pricing on Amazon, but can't find its listing.
ATM I think only a few units have made it here and that too to MD Computers who have overpriced it enormously

Sent from my Xperia Z

Top Bottom