Running 64-bit Windows

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Capture.PNG

So, can I run 64-bit Windows 7 on this machine? It was shipped with only 32-bit Vista so I am not sure if Dell would provide me 64-bit drivers or whether Windows' default drivers would run. And also I want to know whether its worth running 64-bit windows?

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Capture.jpg

Ok..so now what about drivers? can windows' default drivers run fine?? nvidia drivers are available at their site so no issue there.. but sound/bluetooth/wifi ??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
why do you want to run 64bit windows on such old system in the first place?for your information 64bit is required only if you have 4gb or more ram.for less than 4gb ram best option is to run 32bit windows.

OP
T

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
yes you can but it's pointless with 2 GB RAM

why do you want to run 64bit windows on such old system in the first place?for your information 64bit is required only if you have 4gb or more ram.for less than 4gb ram best option is to run 32bit windows.

Yes, 4GB RAM is recommended for running 64-bit Windows indeed. Now I understand the slow response of a friend's core i3 laptop running windows 7 x64 on 2GB RAM... anyways, does it make considerable difference running 64-bit on higher RAM?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
2gb ram is just enough even for 32bit windows 7 so if you install lots of unnecessary stuff you will notice slowdown.it is not like 64bit runs faster on higher ram but that it can use 4gb & more ram so if you like to open 30+ tabs with flash enabled in a browser like chrome while running a HD video & microsoft office in the background with an antivirus running you will need 64bit windows cause of your ram requirements.

CA50

Cyborg Agent
If not utmost necessary, i suggest you to stick with x86. There won't be significant performance gain with x64

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
Yes, 4GB RAM is recommended for running 64-bit Windows indeed. Now I understand the slow response of a friend's core i3 laptop running windows 7 x64 on 2GB RAM... anyways, does it make considerable difference running 64-bit on higher RAM?

yes. useful especially for multitasking and games.

edit: i mean you can run couple of games simultaneously.
a tbs and fps at a time maybe?

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
its just useful for removing the limitation of 32 bit os (cant use more than 3.25 GB RAM)
Beyond that, there isnt any advantage..
Even for games, you wont see a that big improvement as most taxing games dont use more than 1.8 GB of RAM

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
If you use 64 bit os,it can process 64bits at a time while 32 bit os process 32 bit. If you use apps from adobe like after effects, i think the difference would be notable while handling larger files.

Top Bottom