Run Knoppix 5.01 Live Without Dvd!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpicindia

Right off the assembly line
Knoppix is the choice of all linux newbies/enthusiast as it is perhaps the only free live linux distro which offers so many softwares and contents bundles.

I have found an alternative way to boot Live Knoppix from an iso copied to (FAT32/NTFS) partitions in my windows xp installed. This does not require a DVD for booting into Knoppix. You can, if your like, install also.

Please copy the dvd iso of Knoppix-5.01 to your hard disk, install grub boot loader in your window (see my thread
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41292) . Make a folder knoppix in your C:\boot. Copy the files linux and minirt_usb.gz to C:\boot. Edit your menu.lst as I have shown below. And start Knoppix Install from your Grub menu.This will boot you to a Live Knoppix!!.

Code:

title Knoppix Install
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init bootfrom=/dev/hdb5/knoppix/*.iso vga=791 noprompt apm=power-off nomce quiet lang=us
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/knoppix/minirt_usb6.gz
boot

P.S. here hdb5 is the partition where I have kept my knoppix dvd iso.
NB: PLEASE DOWNLOAD minirt_usb6.gz & the linux files from foll. links

*s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/usb_dgle7.zip
*s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/grubi.zip

ENJOY!!

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Uh, wouldn't it be better to install Knoppix onto the hard drive itself if you don't want to run it through the live CD! :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom