"RUN" is missing from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

srimaya_rath

Broken In
Hi,

1. The "Run" option is missing from my "Start" button of WIN Professional.
Is it b'cos of some virus?
2. The default page in my IE is some site... I want to change it... When I am trying to change it through Tools->Internet Options
the Address text box is disabled. Again is it b'cos of some virus?

-Srimaya

satyamy

Alive Again...
for ur 1st Prob
it is not by any virus
if u use winXP
go to control panel & double click "taskbar and start menu" option
now select start menu
customize
& in advance start menu option
enable "Display Run"
*img80.imageshack.us/img80/2559/startmenurunje4.jpg

for second option ur PC is surely infected by some adware or spyware
use a good anti to remove it
or use windows live one care online scanner
what site is ur default page.......? tell us
is it something like stareware.com.......?
also see in ur control panel>add remove programes that any programe u dont know is installed or not..........

anandk

Distinguished Member
above shud help. if it dznt :

search for gpedit in ur c:\windows\system32\gpedit.msc. open it by double clicking on it > go to 'User configuration' > 'Administrative Templates' >'Start Menu & Toolbar'. in d right side find 'Remove Run from start menu' and double click on it. Chose 'Disable' and push OK button.

else run the "Restore the Run Command" registry tweak (near Line 57) from *www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

yes, ur browser seems to have been :twisted: hijacked. i suggest u run ur av and anti-spyware in SAFE MODE. it shud help.

for more info check this thread on Browser Hijackers

anzaan

Broken In
srimaya_rath said:
Hi,

1. The "Run" option is missing from my "Start" button of WIN Professional.
Is it b'cos of some virus?
2. The default page in my IE is some site... I want to change it... When I am trying to change it through Tools->Internet Options
the Address text box is disabled. Again is it b'cos of some virus?

-Srimaya

looks like u gt infctd by the yahoo msgrgr virus! if tats so most probably ur task manager has also been blocked.

u can get the "run" option by going to the gpedit.msc in c:\windows\system32 and navigate to
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar

Find the key Remove Run command from start menu and disable it.

next to be able to use change the default page chaneg ur web browser. else delete ur user account and create a new one. if u r using the administrator account, create a new one and delete the existing one. that will solve ur prob.
also before all this logout of ur yahoo msrgr and disconect ur net.

OP
S

srimaya_rath

Broken In
Yeah... u r right... It's a yahoo messenger virus...
But I'm not able to open gpedit.msc.... Please help me...

Regarding my default page in web browser, if I'll reinstall IE 6.0 will it work?

-Srimaya

anandk

Distinguished Member
i repeat...else run the "Restore the Run Command" registry tweak (near Line 57) from *www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

u dont need to reinstal ie just for it. use windows defnder to restore all default browser pages. also run it and another anti-spy in SAFE MODE. also post ur hjt logfile here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom