RPG Discussion

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
There are people who have the attention span of a catfish, who are more than satisfied with the latest Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.

However, for the rest of us with deep insight and those who live in another plane of existence, this will not do. We need to absorb and imbibe the lore, develop character and make intelligent conversation with otherworldly characters. Especially for such people like us, God created Role Playing Games (RPGs).

That being said, welcome to this RPG discussion thread. This thread is dedicated to all RPG games, old and new, classic and underrated. RPGs come in many forms, some have simple graphics, some have complex mechanics, some have large skill trees. However, the basic tenets of any RPG is the same. You get to choose your character and a number of stats for the same and you are set out into a massive world that, unlike most other games, does not revolve around the player character.

Examples of RPGs (in no particular order):

- Deus Ex [First Person, Tactical, Stealth]
- Diablo 1 and 2 [Isometric, Top Down]
- Elder Scrolls series [First Person, Third Person]
- Gothic series [Third Person]
- Omikron: The Nomad Soul [Third Person]
- Dink Smallwood (freeware) [2D Top Down]
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines [FPS/TPS]
- Mass Effect series [TPS]
- Dragon Age series [Third Person]
- etc.

That being said, kindly try to avoid MMORPG discussion in this thread.

Last edited:
OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Legend Of Grimrock was pretty innovative. However, it had pretty clunky controls though. It was some sort of cross between realtime and turnbased gameplay.

Alok

Adventurer
Playing Valkyria Chronicles , though I would not call it RPG but it not the less, it has elements of immersion and great narrative. Each character has different traits. And most of all game has something new to offer you as you progress making it fresh like ever. Loving it .

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Isn't that the one with anime-like characters? I think I saw it during the Steam sales.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
divine divinity, if i had to describe this RPG, id say it resembles elder scrolls but in an isometric perspective,
the new original sin is also similar but with a turn based combat

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I've heard of Divine Divinity, it was one of the Diablo clones from back in the day. I haven't played it though.

Diablo 2 though has a special place in my heart.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I started Diablo 1 but never completed it because it seemed too repetitive. Is it even playable on modern systems now?

BTW, the Diablo 1 characters return in Diablo 2 as bosses. The Warrior becomes the Dark Wanderer, the embodiment of Diablo himself, The Rogue becomes Blood Raven, whom we kill in the 1st Act and the Sorceror becomes the Summoner in the Astral Plane.

Flash

Lost in speed
Will the "Walking dead" series (point & click) also comes under RPG, coz you decide how the story to proceed.

Killing Machine
There are people who have the attention span of a catfish, who are more than satisfied with the latest Call Of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.

However, for the rest of us with deep insight and those who live in another plane of existence, this will not do. We need to absorb and imbibe the lore, develop character and make intelligent conversation with otherworldly characters. Especially for such people like us, God created Role Playing Games (RPGs).
:lol: Precisamente!

Diablo 2 though has a special place in my heart.
same here plus diablo 1 as well
That makes three of us. Diablo series sucked me into becoming a RPG lover.

I started Diablo 1 but never completed it because it seemed too repetitive. Is it even playable on modern systems now?
Bought a physical copy of Diablo 1 recently (you know just for old times and collection sake!) and it ran on Win7. Not sure about later OSes though.

Btw, have you tried Witcher series?

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I would seriously not consider Deus Ex as RPG.
The first part and second part were purely shooter games.

The third one or the latest one included some part of RPG elements into it.
Character build up, ability enhancement etc but still, you can't choose with whom you want to complete the quest.

Deus Ex is not pure RPG, its hybrid at best.

Witcher series is 95% RPG. In part 2 they let you play as the girl(I forgot her name, Geralt's wife)

Pure RPGs are maybe FABLE series, Fallout, Kingdom of Amalur etc.

I liked Kingdom of Amalur very much. A large map, awesome fights, a good story. Lots of option for upgrade, salvage, get lost in side quests. Moreover when the main story line ends you are still left with few side quests for sure.

Not all map area is dacoit free, you are yet to find all 10 books, and then there is fighting arena in game. I loved this so much then heard the game company went bankrupt :,(

Top Bottom