Ripping COD4???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hi Guys!

I have COD4 installed in my computer and I want to make a rip of the game so that I dont have to install it all over again whenever I reinstall Windows, which I do pretty often. As installing the game again deletes all my previous scores, settings etc, I want to avoid that. I tried to zip the whole game folder with 7z but it comes to about 5+ GB which doesnt fit in one DVD5.

Please guide me as to which files can be eliminated while zipping so that the game keeps running smoothly whenever I restore the game. Videos are not important to me and so I can always eliminate those files. Which are the other files that I can eliminate so as to make the rip as small as possible. Do I also need to take backup of some elements of registry?

Thank you.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

But by doing this, I do get my saves but after reinstalling Windows, I have to reinstall the game all over, which is a long process. Moreover, I have to remap all my controls. The worst part is that the cheat and Arcade mode gets disabled.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
U have to install game everytime.
U cannot escape it. COD 4 is not a mini or portable game, it has to be installed after windows installation to run it properly. And don't take backup of program files, it will be of no use. Even if u take backup & copy the contents back to prog files, ur game will not run.B'cause u have to take backup of registry also & it is not possible.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
COD4 dun need reinstallation after fresh installation of XP. U just need to update the gfx deiver and launch the game from the exe at the previously insttaled location on some partition.
And just put the save files back after reinstalling windows.
Only a few games needs reinstallation for every XP installation. But for updating the game from some exe, u need to have all registry values present nd no way other than reinstall.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
You don't need to re-install, not in the case of CoD4 atleast, I'm sure of this. I had installed it on a dedicated partition and I did re-install Windows, however you will lose entries in registry and shortcuts etc., but I create them again and its fine. Save your saved games before re-installation.

As for the update, most of the modern installers first search for the game and when not found will prompt for the location, same in case of CoD4, so no worries again. The only little perk I found was in Xfire, it won't find the game in registry and hence will not provide any service here.

PS: And even if you do need to re-install, what's the big deal? Lazy?! You did install Windows didn't ya, this is just a game!

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
X:\<whatever folder>\Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare\players\profiles

this is the saved files location, right in the game folder.

if the game's on other partition, no need to worry bout backing-up 'saves'.(but keep atleast one back-up of it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom