RIFT, f2p mmo

doomgiver

Warframe
anyone else playing it?

if not, i highly suggest you give it a try, its pretty good, and doesnt have the usual pay to win bullcr@p that goes with most mmo's.

join the EU servers (better ping) and come have some fun.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
this game is an MMO.
like, Level up your character,
Open world stuff,
Do questing (the questing is fun, several quests are very unique and i created new chars just to do them again :D yes, im addicted),
Kill monsters (you have rare mobs, high level mobs who can only be killed my a group of people, and super world bosses, who need upto 60-80 people to even have a chance of killing them),
Do pvp (open world pvp and matched, plus there is a new 5vs5 ranked pvp. pvp is EXTREMELY easy to get into, coz if you donot have a pvp item set, you get a full pvp starter level item set on entering an arena, but, to be slightly good, you need to buy the actual pvp items and stick some kind of +stat enchantments on it, else you will get slaughtered by the other high ranked players),
Make gold,
Create custom areas knows as "dimensions" (this s#it is SERIOUSLY addictive, i know atleast 9 peeps who play this game ONLY for dimensions, and the stuff they have created.... horror houses, tropical beach resorts, castles, and even a star wars endor mockup :) )
Do raiding (like, get some people together and kill some raid bosses)
Do dungeons
etc...

main points to play :
1. its not quite pay to win.
you can at most, pay for convinience, example : you can buy the 3rd best armor (both pvp and pve) in the game using in-game cash, but its VERY expensive (like 30-50 dollars a piece), and you can find equal or better items in the starting raids/dungeons themselves. also, to upgrade them, you need a high enough pvp rank, and ingrediants that are only found in hard-mode raids. so a newbie cant jsut buy his way into the top tier.
the only way you can justify pay to win in this game is, someone buying tons of REX (in-game cash vouchers, that are bought via irl money, and can be traded to others, and redeemed for in-game cash), paying a top level guild the REX to run raids with them and taking all the loot. but then, with connections, anyone can do that

2. unique "soul tree" levelup system.
totally customised characters. you can choose which points to invest in which "soul". there are no "classes" in RIFT, per-se, only 4 main "callings". warrior, mage, rogue and cleric.
each of these has 8 "souls" (1 extra soul is unlocked for each calling with a Storm Legion soul expansion pack, making 9 souls per calling) you can mix and match ANY 3 souls from a calling to make a "role".
for example, warriors have 3 tanking souls, and people have created upto 5 differeint "roles" for different situations, one for physical damage reduction, one for crowd control, one for magical damage reduction, one role specializes in spreading disease and corruption to multiple enemies, but does not tank as well, and one role is a funny semi-tank build, for when you out-level a content, and wanna have some fun, with extremely high damage (upto 10 times a "normal" tank's damage).
the point is, you can mix and match almost everything.
the current raging topic on the Cleric DPS sub-forums is, where do you put the last 5 points in your standard ranged build (61 points in Inqusitor, 10 points in Cabalist, 5 points left over, Inqusitor and Cabalist being Cleric ranged DPS souls, and you can have a max 61 points in any soul, to a max of 76 total point. lvl 60 is the max in the game). people say "5 points in Defiler", others say "5 more points in Cabalist", others say "NO, 5 POINTS IN SENTINEL" (fun part : sentinel is a healing soul, but the 5 points offer extremely good stats)

me? i run with 61 inquisitor and 15 defiler. coz thats MY playstyle.

you see? loads of room for customization and tweaking.

3. Game is fun.
it can be VERY grindy, if you REALLY wanna min-max everything (im currently grinding currency to have a +11 stat boost to one of my items, which is less than a 5% increase. this is because it is THE BEST item that i can have in the slot, and my guild wants it on all their members)

but, if you dont care about best-in-slot items, the game is extrememly fun. you can basically run around the two continents all day, discovering, killing stuff, getting to hidden places, harvesting, playing with friends, etc.

im totally into raiding, so i dont do all that, but if im bored, i jsut run around, climb to the top of the highest rocks and jump down (no fall damage, wheeeeee!!!)

also, there is a HUGE update coming up around july-august this year, which will have a level cap increase, new zones, new raids, new items and a boatload of other stuff, i dont know myself what is coming, they have kept most of it under wraps.

tip : if you are gonna start, do so on EU servers, they have better ping, atleast for me. plus, if you need help, i play on eu servers can can easily help you folks out.

Soumik

Padawan
I would also suggest Neverwinter as a free to play MMORPG. If you like Rift, am sure you will like that. Its a bit heavy on variety and complexity. But combat is 3rd person and very very satisfying. There are more than 3 types of ingame currency alone, which can be interchanged and also everything can be earned without paying anything. But really, as of now i havent felt the need to buy any gear at all. Loads of loots. Unless u want Ruin as a mount :p (Thats Rider War's horse if you dont know.). It has beautiful detailed graphics, though a little resource heavy. Almost all NPCs are fully voiced, which is a huge plus for me.
I also played Star Wars The Old republic for sometime after it went free to play. But its really really just a trial version sort of. It takes 25+GB of space just to install, and then unless you are a subscriber (monthly payment), you wont gain rest area exp, and get lower exp from quests, and after lvl 20, its downright negligible. I played a quest which mentioned 8000 Exp points as rewards, and after the quest, i just got some less than 2000 Exp, cause am not a 'Premium' member. But as far as quality goes, its as close as it gets to an open world Mass Effect with Light Sabers and star fighters :D. Its Fantastic! Offcourse the graphics takes a hit as with all MMOs. But its still better than any F2P games out there. The decisions, story, everything is awesome. It actually has separate story lines for each class, and if you team with another class player, you can enter and view their stories. And in general quests, all party members are taken into consideration in the dialogue, and the conversation changes depending on the decision that each person makes. All characters are fully voiced. The female trooper voice is actually very similar(not sure if same) as that of Female Shepard ;). I might pay for a month just to finish the Jedi story line in a month whenever i get some time.

Piyush

Lanaya
The only MMO I've played till yet is Runescape. Doomie, if you have played that game/ know about that game, can you do a lil comparison so that I can have a good idea.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
havent played runescape, but from what i heard, its a massive "play to win" mechanic.
like, if you pay irl money, you get awesome benefits that non-players get.

(other than that, i know that runescape gold is easy to farm, and even easier to scam-bait with ;) )

Top Bottom