Reviving old Laptop under 5k - Suggestions Needed

I have an eMachines e725 laptop that's around 2.5 years old. Recently got fed up of the horrible lags due to the tiny 1GB DDR3 RAM installed by default and the temps.

Here is the configuration:

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 (Penryn) @ 2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache
1GB DDR3 RAM
800 MHz FSB (So RAM also runs at the same speed)
160GB Internal, 500GB External HDD
2 USB ports
WiFi but No Bluetooth (use a dongle for that)

I tried selling it but was offered peanuts and asked the buyer to f***off :mrgreen:

Now decided to instead spend around 5k in performance and usability upgrades. :twisted:

I want a good dock for this laptop that cools it (current temps around 50C) and also has expansion USB ports (to attach external HDD, mouse and bluetooth dongle), support for external powersupply and has a good strong structure that also has holding space for the HDD (and if possible where I can fold and keep the mouse). Suggest what options I have.

Since Linux is more memory centric than CPU centric, I decided to go for RAM upgrades. The manual lists the RAM as DDR2 and a max of 4GB however it actually is DDR3 (checked by installing 2GB stick from my dad's laptop). Any idea if I can install a 4GB stick on this machine and get it to work ? Planning to keep 4+1 GB of RAM on this thing.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
1)It would be good idea to open the Laptop and clean the inner parts. No amount of cooling can replace a proper airflow inside.

2) I don't think you can install 4 GB in 1 slot only. It has to be 2 + 2.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy more RAM.

Chuck out the HDD. Buy a SSD. 60 GB shall be fine.

1)It would be good idea to open the Laptop and clean the inner parts. No amount of cooling can replace a proper airflow inside.

2) I don't think you can install 4 GB in 1 slot only. It has to be 2 + 2.

1) Inner parts clean and dust free. As far as my idea behind a cooler is concerned, I put an Air Cooler (175 Watts or something :mrgreen:) Behind the laptop while working. Its temps came down from 50 to 32. So yeah I know when I say this thing could use cooling :-D

2) But 4GB sticks are available right ? Are they any different externally from 2GB sticks that render older chipsets unable to recognize them ?

Buy more RAM.

Chuck out the HDD. Buy a SSD. 60 GB shall be fine.

I don't do many HDD intensive operations. So SSD would be pretty useless.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it won't be useless. Infact it is the most logical upgrade on an old machine/laptop. System will boot very fast. All apps will launch in split second.

No, it won't be useless. Infact it is the most logical upgrade on an old machine/laptop. System will boot very fast. All apps will launch in split second.

Well SSD is still not on my priority list. The prices are on a free-fall and I'm waiting to see some stability. Until then, I'm pretty satisfied by my 160GB Hitachi HDD's ~ 30mBps write speeds.

Anyway, all I need is recommendations for a good cooling stand and if someone has used a similar laptop with 4GB + 4GB RAM configuration.

aroraanant

Explorer
As suggested above proper cleaning of the inner parts is very much required and add a 1 or 2GB RAM.And Obviously a SSD will boost up the performance of laptop.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I don't think you need a cooling stand. In this summer season 50° is absolutely fine. You can't expect sub 45° temps until and unless you're in a A/C room.

My laptops is just 6 months old and it stays around 45-54°.

Since nobody really answered my question if this laptop can support a 4GB stick, I decided to take the risk anyway and order a stick off flipkart.

Poor geeks have simple needs. My laptop has 5GB RAM. I'm the happiest man alive :D

Top Bottom