[Review] Nokia 3220

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
*img99.echo.cx/img99/3614/logoph32201cn.gif

Introduction:

Most of us will enjoy the new Nokia design at first sight.It is a phone targetted towards youngsters. It's the cheapest EDGe phone available with nokia.

*img120.echo.cx/img120/5218/32208cf.jpg

Construction:
The phone is offered in five basic color variants. Two of them have a black base, other two have a white base and one has a red base. Each variant differs by the color of the decorative border and the area around the display. Also all of this can be cutomised and me can make or own designs and nokia provides the stensils just as they give with 3200.

Also the grips on the side of the phone is good and seems to serve as a grip as well as a neon lights. And this gives a better grip than the grip which was on 1100/1108. This grip rubber pad can be taken off and fitted with other pad of the different kind with great ease.

The phone is not that bulk or large as it seems on photos or ads. It's a bit sleek and fits onto the hands perfectly.Asl oit weighs relatively less with only 95grams.

Fun features:
It got this WAVE messaging , when we can see our own message being seen on air lighted up.

Keypads:
As always nokia got good keypad for this phone, the keys are very soft and pleasant to work on. IT's made of rubber just like 2280 but a lot softer.
IT got a 5-way joystick and the backlit color is white.

*img141.echo.cx/img141/8312/images1xn.jpg

It got a different menu types and also the usuall images associated with each of the fuctions.

Screen:
It got a resolution of 128x128 pixels and it a 65k color screen unlike 3200 which got only 4k colors. The screen is one of the best in its class, the resolution of 128x128 is standard.

Also, we can see the LCD properly in bright sunlight also. The screen settings allow to choose its color scheme, wallpaper and a screen saver,unlike other phone where we have only that white backgroud.

Camera:
IT got a Integrated VGA camera with 640 x 480 pixels and it supports video recording as well. The cmera is beeter than what i expected it to be , a real decent quality for a VGA camera.

It gives us 3 image quality options, portrait or standard pictures also digital zoom, picture editor and special effects, night mode, timer is present.

There is a small time lag between capturing and saving it around 1 sec.

You can also add pics to your phone book, so now you have a face against the name of the person who’s calling.

This camera is not for taking a formal or important occations, but for capturing some casual moments.

Sounds/Speaker:
It got a 16-chord polyphony tone . It's speakers are very loud and u should not miss any call even when kept in a bag.
Voice recordings can be set as ringtones as well.

IT's a polyphonic ringtones playing phone. The speakers is not that great and not audible in loud areas. Other than that the rightones are pleasant to hear. We can send Animated MMS with sound clips as well.

The side insertions hide LEDs that may illuminate the sides of the phone with green or red light during an incoming call. Also there ar different sounds/color mix for various events like missed calls, games etc.

Also note that this phone has got no FM radio or voice recordings for this phone.

Connectivity:
EDGe: One of the major plus point of this phone is that of the EDGe. This is the cheapest phone in India which got EDGe.
The speeds that we can get is upto 177.6 kbps.

With EDGe, we can two main things. First we can watch live "streaming" audio/video. But this concept is yet to mature in India. Also we can download multimedia clips and we can watch in ur phone (and remember that 3220 has a small screen unlike series 60 phones).
Another useful thing with this EDGe is that this phone can be used as a modem and used to browse net with your PC. The speeds depend on the network provider, but we get 115kbps on a average.

GPRS: This works well with this phone and we can brwose through WAP sites and check mails etc.Data transfer up to 43.2 kbps. With it's XHTML browser, we can see more graphical content and enchanced viewing.

Along with this it has got HSCSD as well.

Sadly it dont has Bluetooth or IR which is a major limitation for this phone.

Memory:
IT got 4.5mb internal memory which must not be enough in case u plan to shoot and capture a lot of video shoots. Also the memory is not expandable and it got no MMC slot. So if this is not the issue then the memory will be more tha enough. It is possible to keep up to 1000 names in the internal memory.

Battery:
Again It got the trademark good quality battery from nokia. Even when used extensivley, the battery will last for 2 days without charging! The talktime is around 3.5hours and the standby time is upto 350hours. Charging the phone to full capacity takes 1 and an half hours.

Games:
6 preloaded games like Survivor, Club Pinball, Dance Delight and Phantom Spider etc. We can also get chance to exprience light and sound (MIDI) effects. Also a number of JAVA games (for series 40) can be downloaded and installed.

3220 has the ability to be used as a joystick, almost. The 3220 has a device built-in that can determine how you are moving or turning the phone, and with that parameters we can interact with supported "motion" games in the phone. Two such games are included to use this feature is SwampRacer and AirExpress.

Pros:
+ EDGe
+ Xpress-on neon flashing grips (colored lights)
+ video cpaturing
+ Can be used as a modem

Cons:
- No Bluetooth,Infrared
- Non symbian
- No FM radio

Price:
rs. 8,300

Conclusion:
This funky-looking and a stylish phone which is targeted for the youth and those who like to customize their phones. It's designed for teenagers who would like to customise their phone by using paper covers, light effects, as well as the video recording digital camera.It's the cheapest EDGe phone available with nokia.

Also it's priced resonably and has a good fun features, so it's a phone worth buying if u dont care for features but for looks alone!

All pictures are sourced.

My other phone reviews:
Cell phone guide (sub 6k and 6k-10k)
Moto E398
Nokia 6260
Nokia 9500

bendre123

Broken In
O common friend how can u said that nokia 3220 worth buying for its look.
i think the mobile is for children.
did u see the design its pathetic and childish.
it is horrible phone
instead the sony k300i is better it comes less than 8000rs. It has 12mb memory which is tripple to 3220. and it has option to play little movie clips.
and it has very good looks.

magnet

Youngling
i think price is mor......it shd b ard 6k..since it lacks all of the 3(infrared,bluetooth,fm radio).......looks r gud...but price too high...nyways nice review...keep it up

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

bendre123 said:
O common friend how can u said that nokia 3220 worth buying for its look.
i think the mobile is for children.
did u see the design its pathetic and childish.
Hmm..
3220 came a lot earlier than K400i came.

--> Does k500i have wave messaging thing?
--> Does k500i have neon side lights?
--> Does k500i have Xpress on covers? (ie, can we change it covers; by the way i think we can)
--> Does k500i have that dancing keypad thing? (ie the keypad glows when we get the call?)
--> Does k500i have EDGe (we can see streaming audio /video clips; if supported by our network)
--> Does k500i has that keypad sensitivity thing, ie when we move our phone to one side, the controls also move in that direction. This thing is used when we play games.

So only i said it's for youth and looks good. By the way, it does not look as bulky as it looks in the image.
And the looks are ones personal choice, u may not like 3220, but i may like it :D

magnet said:
i think price is mor......it shd b ard 6k
LOL, i allways have this pricing and cost problem.. this price is Chennai price.. where we got no VAT and also the sales tax is high.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Vivek bhardwaj said:
tell me how to use the EDGe utility of this cellphone
What exactly do u want to know?
With EDGe we can use the phone as a modem or viewing video clips or audio clips or live Streaming.

It gives fast speeds and its' like mobile broadband..

This is from the review itself:
With EDGe, we can two main things. First we can watch live "streaming" audio/video. But this concept is yet to mature in India. Also we can download multimedia clips and we can watch in ur phone (and remember that 3220 has a small screen unlike series 60 phones).

Another useful thing with this EDGe is that this phone can be used as a modem and used to browse net with your PC. The speeds depend on the network provider, but we get 115kbps on a average.

IG

Journeyman
me using the phone for 3 months now.love it :p
besides the joystick which is painful to use no other cribs.
with bill in chennai now is 7.5k
plus camera is pretty good even in nite mode.
battery lasts 2 days wth moderate talking and a lot of messaging.
only thing is phone is slightly big.

mediator

Technomancer
Awwwww I think Mr.Magnet is not fascinated by the beauty of 3220 or doesnt know how to admire beauty!
3220 For children?? Sir have u used this phone even once??
I wud rate this phone 10/10 for good looks and wave banner just doubles the charm!
Lol try And I bet u'll ignore all other phones!
Hmmm u said triple memory of Sony 300K!
Anyways the 3220 doesnt have MP3 player, So it doesnt really matters if it has 4.5 Mb memrory with that much memory u cud store like 100 photos !!
Also I shud advice u to take this phone or borrow it from someone and then go to some disco, u'll feel that u just borrowed some mascot for the party!
Anyways I haven't seen any mobile yet in which u cud store morethan 6-7 full songs, mp3 ones!
So its pathetic actually to that u have a feature like mp3 and cant use it fully! U have to carry around the earphone to listen it with pleasure!
By the way 3220 doesnt have joystick problem experienced with Sony 300.
So Mr.Magnet If U R some business man then of course u'll buy the most expensive phone with full features and pathetic looks of course and the compare the features with ur friend's mobiles, dats pathetic!
But if u'r a dude and wanna impress someone then go for this beauty!
I mean how can u ignore this small,light perfect beauty!
Hmmm but the only thingthis beauty lacks is FM Radio I think!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

mediator said:
Awwwww I think Mr.Magnet is not fascinated by the beauty of 3220 or doesnt know how to admire beauty!
3220 For children?? Sir have u used this phone even once??
I wud rate this phone 10/10 for good looks and wave banner just doubles the charm!

Also I shud advice u to take this phone or borrow it from someone and then go to some disco, u'll feel that u just borrowed some mascot for the party!

But if u'r a dude and wanna impress someone then go for this beauty!
I mean how can u ignore this small,light perfect beauty!
Right one dude, you are correct. When I just saw this phone on photos and pictures, then even I thought it to be some kind of toy, but only after using it, it fell otherwise ; it's not bulk also as it looks in the picture.
There is much more to this phone than what you think it looks:
-- air messaging (wave messaging)
-- Neon side lights
-- "Dancing" keypads
-- Keypad sensitivity (to be used to play games)

This phone totally rocks, I liked very much and looks very good as well. It's available for a very cheap rate now also :D

mediator said:
Anyways I haven't seen any mobile yet in which u cud store morethan 6-7 full songs, mp3 ones!
So its pathetic actually to that u have a feature like mp3 and cant use it fully! U have to carry around the earphone to listen it with pleasure!
Right on again for those who think K500i's 10 mb is enough. I would say even Samsung's D500's 96mb is not enough. For a mp3 phone, sky is the limit :D

mediator

Technomancer
Hey drgrudge, dont just say "neon light", say "light synchronized ringtones".
Plus awesome games like dance delight with lights flashing all over.Its a complete light machine and a box of utility!
I dont think dat IR or bluetooth absence ruin it,coz i think these features suit the phonez like PDA and the ones which have mp3's!
My younger bros has sony 750i, but I have rarely seen him using bluetooth or IR or ever heard him talking about using it!

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

^^
Yeah, we can't ask for me in this phone ; BT, IR and things, it costs 7k only or even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom