Review: LG Optimus One (P500)

Neo

the shopkeeper says that the black color of O1 is not coming(9-9.5k one).
i'll only get the white color O1 with a bulutooth headset for 11k.

should i buy it online?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
online price is more or less the same. i think only letsbuy will offer it for 9-9.5k after applying coupon code.

even for the white version, 11k is a bit too high.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
online as well as local. Mobile Store. check for shop's location close to you. but will cost you 10k. so better to check some other stores.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
10K is a decent rate @ shops for LG Optimus One. If I am right they will charge you 10,279 inclusive of VAT ( It is a good price ). Also they give additional warranty of 1 year if you pay Rs 199 and you do enquire with them regarding this.

Visit as many shops as possible and compare the rates and also see the date of packing. Latest date of packing will be better.

If u want to go online ( not advisable but now online shopping for electronic goods is catching up here ), then u can get the price for 9600 - 9900 ( But I think it must be without vat )..Just check the final price inclusive of vat and shipping.

Overall, LG Optimus is good in this price category and I too agree with Sam that if u are a hardcore gamer, stay away from this mobile and one thing I am very sure that you will fall in love with Android.

Also note that whatever brand u choose and if u are a hardcore internet surfer in smartphones, it will consume a lot of battery.

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Also they give additional warranty of 1 year if you pay Rs 199 and you do enquire with them regarding this.

really? :-( how stupid of me. i should have inquired it when i was buying. modding always brings the risk of bricking the mobile.

Visit as many shops as possible and compare the rates and also see the date of packing. Latest date of packing will be better.

Also note that whatever brand u choose and if u are a hardcore internet surfer in smartphones, it will consume a lot of battery.

yes. & with O1, if you turn on WiFi (stock or custom modded) batter won't last for more than 12hrs. even with GPRS, 24hrs is what i get. but without internet mobile will last 2 full days.

Neo

i'll be using 3G. and will not play games(may play 1 or 2)

also,does modding voids warranty??

tmanikandan

The Incredible
Yes. If u root ur phone, warranty gets void. But there is an advantage in Android that u can always go back to non rooted state. Don't root ur phone if u are not aware of what u are doing.

but without internet mobile will last 2 full days

If you are new to Android , usage of the mobile initially will not last more than a day irrespective of the brand u choose as u always love android and will keep on working on the phone installing and uninstalling apps and games and I feel personally even with internet , bluetooth and wifi turned off and with display set to 30 percent, ur battery will not last more than a day :)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i'll be using 3G. and will not play games(may play 1 or 2)

also,does modding voids warranty??

a statement released by LG Italy states that modding doesn't void warranty, until you change kernel. i don't know till how much this is valid.

If you are new to Android , usage of the mobile initially will not last more than a day irrespective of the brand u choose as u always love android and will keep on working on the phone installing and uninstalling apps and games and I feel personally even with internet , bluetooth and wifi turned off and with display set to 30 percent, ur battery will not last more than a day :)

exactly. during the first week or two, one will install game, listen to music (or even watch entire movies) & at the end of the day battery will show "10% remaining".

i use my mobile a lot & what i found is if you start to rate the battery sucking apps/usage in Android, particularly of O1:
1. WiFi
2. GPRS
3. physics games (Angry bird series only)

these 3 eats most of the battery. if you do lots of phone calls & msg battery charge drops by a percent or two. play games like NFS, Raging thunder or similar games & battery still holds. even if you play music through headphone, battery shouldn't dip by more than 3% after 1hr. don't know about videos or bluetooth or camera as i don't use these a lot.

nikhil1985

Right off the assembly line
Hey! Guyz :)
I am looking to buy a mobile under 10k & all i need is good camera in it & i want to use it as a 3g modem for My lappy.

I am seriously considering Nokia 500 & Optimus one.

I have one question:
Is it necessary to have hot spot in mobile to use it as a 3g modem via wifi?

Sam thanks for such a great detailed review of optimus one.

Thanks.

PS: I am an absolute novice in Tech. please help me in choosing the best option.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
sorry. forgotten to reply your PM. replied now.

no. it should have wireless tethering option to use it as a 3G modem via wifi. wireless tethering turns your mobile into a wifi hotspot. i think this small confusion is clear now.

also Nokia N500 will be expensive for sure. ~15k or more.

nikhil1985

Thanks a million Sam....yOu are a hi-fi person, sent yOu one more PM please reply that too...:)
Thanks once again.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
i want to use it as a 3g modem for My lappy.

Any smartphones irrespective of brand you buy, will consume a lot of battery if u use it as a 3G Modem and it will obviously make u to continuously charging your mobile.

Instead u can buy a Huawei Data Card ( or lot of brands are available with diff specs and u can choose as per ur needs ) to use ur 3G Sim as ur modem for Laptop.

You can also have a look at 3G Plans of Mobile Operators in your area along with Data Cards.

Also for LG Optimus One , Please note that - 3G is only for data and not for video

Sam thanks for such a great detailed review of optimus one.

Sam's review is awesome and he still updates it regularly :)

Last edited:

nikhil1985

Any smartphones irrespective of brand you buy, will consume a lot of battery if u use it as a 3G Modem and it will obviously make u to continuously charging your mobile

Hi! Tmanikandan,

Thanks a lot for the reply...i understand it that if i'l use it as 3g model then it will drain mobile's battery but i just want to use it as a back-Up modem since i already have Tata photon+ which works great.

I just need it as a back-Up if in case Tata photon+ is down, 3g mobile as a "wireless modem" makes a lot of sense to me cOzzz...we carry mobile all the time & it will work as a back-Up modem:)

Now the question is what makes a mobile a great "wireless 3g modem" is it its processor, ram or features like "HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps" :)

I just need a mobile which has a good camera and could work as an excellent 3g modem.

Thanks once again, please suggest me a good mobile phone as per the specific needs.

Thanks.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks a million Sam....yOu are a hi-fi person, sent yOu one more PM please reply that too...:)
Thanks once again.

my pleasure helping you buddy :smile:

Sam's review is awesome and he still updates it regularly :)

if i find something missing from my review, i add it. incomplete review doesn't looks good.

Thanks once again, please suggest me a good mobile phone as per the specific needs.

but first tell us what is your budget.

or you may continue here if you are interested in Optimus One: The LG Optimus One Thread

or can create a thread in the mobile section. then others can give appropriate suggestion also.

nikhil1985

Thanks sam i think starting a new thread would be a good idea...:)

Ma budget as i mentioned before is 10k.

Thanks a lot.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
What's your budget ?

If u plan for 15k - 20k

Check the new entrant Sony Xperia Mini Pro ( Close to 16k..Dont confuse with Xperia X10 Mini Pro )
Lookout for Samsung I9003 Galaxy ( Close to 20k )
Iphone 3GS ( Good Mobile but No more in production..Selling unsold stocks )
Motorola Defy
Nokia 500

If U plan for 21 - 30k

LG Optimus 2X
HTC Desire A9191 HD
Sony Xperia Arc

If u plan for 30k or more, check
Samsung Galaxy SII ( U can get it below 30k in some shops or in Internet )
Iphone 4G

( If u are a Blackberry fanboy, check out for blackberry models in ur budget )

If u plan for 8k to 15k ,
Welcome to LG Optimus One Club :)

You can also ask in forum for feedback / suggestions for different mobiles

if i find something missing from my review, i add it. incomplete review doesn't looks good.

Thanks :) and as I already said to u, ur review made me to buy LG Optimus One and more importantly got introduced to Android :)

Last edited:

nikhil1985

Thanks Guyz for your great help...budget wz 10k but after looking at Xperia mini today mrng i cant resist it infact feeling Lucky that i dint buy any other mobile yesterday....:)

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Xperia mini will cost around 14.5k & even if the internal are much much better than LG O1, the screen is slightly smaller (doesn't matter) & the battery is mere 1200mah.

and if you are talking Xperia X10 mini, stay away from it.

Top Bottom