Review: LG Optimus One (P500)

tmanikandan

The Incredible
Thanks very much for the reply.:)

its the Android version. 2.2.2 but it should have something like V10B, V10C or V10E.

Yes you are right. The Android Version is 2.2.2 and Software Update is V10E

have you exchanged the card or got an extra one?

Initially I was planning to exchange but bought a new one and used the one which came with Optimus for my dad's mobile.

if you are talking about Adobe flash, lack of it is actually good cause of 2 things: flash sucks battery life & also most ads use flash.

I am not talking about Adobe Flash. It is flash light aka torch.

turn GPRS off

How to turn GPRS off ? Just by clicking that icon in the notification bar makes that icon to appear like mobile marked with X. Does it mean GPRS is off or where to change that ?

instead try Launcher Pro, GO Launcher EX or Zeam launcher.

I will be installing Go Launcher Ex.

it depends on the no of screen set & the height. standard image size for this mobile is 640X480 (3 screens). so resize or crop to that level then it should work.

Tried resizing but the image not perfectly fit the screen. Maybe I should try in PC.

I want to change the default opening image ( also the closing image ) of the Mobile.
you can't do it without rooting & installing custom roms. minimum root is needed so you have access to system apps.

They could have made this option available. My dad uses LG Cookie Joy - a basic touch screen model and it is available in that phone

just use multiselect. then press menu & an option should come up as "Select All". select it & then delete.

Just now saw the Select All Option.

if the first name part have the whole name, copy the last name to the next space saying "Last Name".

It is not possible for the already saved contact in my SIM. For saving a new contact, I am getting the last name field.

turn GPRS off while not in use & also decrease brightness to ~30%. turn off the option of auto rotate screen. now fully charge mobile & let it drain completely. do this a couple of time & battery backup will increase quite a bit. say 30-35hrs. or maybe more.

Decreased the brightness. I like the auto rotate feature as it is very convenient for sms Yeah will drain it and again charge.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Yes you are right. The Android Version is 2.2.2 and Software Update is V10E

as i thought. means it is the latest stable version with sms & touchlag bug both fixed. it should also have good battery optimization too. may take a bit to settle down.

Initially I was planning to exchange but bought a new one and used the one which came with Optimus for my dad's mobile.

do you know what is the class of the card?

I am not talking about Adobe Flash. It is flash light aka torch.

LG's have integrated any such option in Optimus One? i think this is only found in CryoMod custom roms. to use the screen as a torch.

How to turn GPRS off ? Just by clicking that icon in the notification bar makes that icon to appear like mobile marked with X. Does it mean GPRS is off or where to change that ?

yes. mobile with X mark means GPRS is cut off.

I will be installing Go Launcher Ex.

GO launcher is one of the best. sadly the icons at the bottom are fixed but have a ton of option to customize it. also try GO weather & GO SMS.

Tried resizing but the image not perfectly fit the screen. Maybe I should try in PC.

can you please elaborate a bit more what you did exactly. i mean a pic of size 640X480 should fit across 3 screen just perfectly. maybe cause you are using LG launcher with 5/7 homescreen, so it isn't having a perfect fit.

They could have made this option available. My dad uses LG Cookie Joy - a basic touch screen model and it is available in that phone

you mean the on/off animation? no it can't be changed so easily.

It is not possible for the already saved contact in my SIM. For saving a new contact, I am getting the last name field.

hmmm, will check it but all my contacts are saved in mobile. as sync is only possible for contacts saved in phone maybe.

Decreased the brightness. I like the auto rotate feature as it is very convenient for sms Yeah will drain it and again charge.

well turn auto rotate on for now. check the battery drain for a few days. if it is too much turn auto rotate off. also install swype (do a bit of Googling).

tmanikandan

The Incredible
do you know what is the class of the card?

micro SDHC Class 2

yes. mobile with X mark means GPRS is cut off.

Though GPRS is off, sometimes browser connects automatically to net and display the google home page. How to avoid this ? I tried to delete the settings in Access Point but there is no option for Delete. Instead it gives an option for Restore to Defaults. When I clicked that option, no effect and settings remains the same. Any idea to delete my GPRS settings ?

GO launcher is one of the best. sadly the icons at the bottom are fixed but have a ton of option to customize it. also try GO weather & GO SMS.

Yes, Go Launcher and Go Sms are awesome.

can you please elaborate a bit more what you did exactly. i mean a pic of size 640X480 should fit across 3 screen just perfectly. maybe cause you are using LG launcher with 5/7 homescreen, so it isn't having a perfect fit.

When I try to use the resolution of the image more than 640 x 480, an automatic re-size option appears. If I try to re-size and save and set as my wallpaper, it is not fitting perfectly to the screen.

you mean the on/off animation? no it can't be changed so easily.

The Opening / Closing Animation can be replaced with an Image in LG Cookie Joy.

well turn auto rotate on for now. check the battery drain for a few days. if it is too much turn auto rotate off. also install swype (do a bit of Googling).

Yeah. I also saw Swpe Keyboard and it is good. I will install that app too in the near future.

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
micro SDHC Class 2

Class2? should have went for Class4 or higher.

Though GPRS is off, sometimes browser connects automatically to net and display the google home page. How to avoid this ? I tried to delete the settings in Access Point but there is no option for Delete. Instead it gives an option for Restore to Defaults. When I clicked that option, no effect and settings remains the same. Any idea to delete my GPRS settings ?

i really don't know why this is happening. when you turn GPRS off, internet access should be cut off.

When I try to use the resolution of the image more than 640 x 480, an automatic re-size option appears. If I try to re-size and save and set as my wallpaper, it is not fitting perfectly to the screen.

have you tried it with GO launcher EX? well better to post the query in the Optimus One thread. experts there should be able to solve these strange problems.

The Opening / Closing Animation can be replaced with an Image in LG Cookie Joy.

i have never seen any mobile where you can change the animation. not possible on O1 AFAIK.

Yeah. I also saw Swpe Keyboard and it is good. I will install that app too in the near future.

i used many different keyboard & LG keyboard is one of the best. Swype is also good.

tmanikandan

The Incredible

Yes, I must had but I am not worried about transfer rates. But as u said higher the class will always be better.

i really don't know why this is happening. when you turn GPRS off, internet
access should be cut off.

Yes it should be but its strange. Will the apps automatically turn the GPRS on and connect to internet ? ( As most of the apps gives warning while we install that it will have full internet access ). How to delete GPRS settings ?

have you tried it with GO launcher EX? well better to post the query in the Optimus One thread. experts there should be able to solve these strange problems.

Will be soon installing Go Launcher within this weekend. I am just getting comfortable now both with Android and LG Optimus One. Surely will post here and also in XDA

i have never seen any mobile where you can change the animation. not possible on O1 AFAIK.

I mean not to change the animation but the image that u get . If we switch on the phone, u will getting an LG animated image and the Android logo Image. I want to make it load my own custom image. Also I want my name to get displayed ( found in many phones ) when I switch on the phone. Hope u are getting my point.

i used many different keyboard & LG keyboard is one of the best. Swype is also good.

LG keyboard (abc) is very comfortable except typing the characters close to backspace or <-- or --> this button

Yes, I must had but I am not worried about transfer rates. But as u said higher the class will always be better.

i really don't know why this is happening. when you turn GPRS off, internet
access should be cut off.

Yes it should be but its strange. Will the apps automatically turn the GPRS on and connect to internet ? ( As most of the apps gives warning while we install that it will have full internet access )

Will be soon installing Go Launcher within this weekend. I am just getting comfortable now both with Android and LG Optimus One. Surely will post here and also in XDA

I mean not to change the animation but the image that u get . If we switch on/off the phone, u will be getting a LG animated image and an Android Image. I want to make it load my own custom image. In Normal phones when we click in the option " Set As", u will have the option to select for the opening image and closing image. Also I want my name to get displayed ( found in many phones ) when I switch on the phone. Hope u are getting my point.

LG keyboard (abc) is very comfortable except typing the characters close to backspace or <-- or --> this button

Is it possible to delete the Favorites in call log as clearing the call log deletes only the dialled/missed/received numbers ?

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

helpful if you go for custom roms.

Yes it should be but its strange. Will the apps automatically turn the GPRS on and connect to internet ? ( As most of the apps gives warning while we install that it will have full internet access ). How to delete GPRS settings ?

no. it shouldn't. i have many apps, some ad supported but none of them turn GPRS on by themselves. actually this is the first time i hearing such a strange problem with any Android mobile.

delete? i think you must have at least 1 access point.

get familiar with how Android works. have you tried any games till now? its really odd that LG bundled a lot of crap apps but not a single game. at least a couple of games.

I mean not to change the animation but the image that u get . If we switch on the phone, u will getting an LG animated image and the Android logo Image. I want to make it load my own custom image. Also I want my name to get displayed ( found in many phones ) when I switch on the phone. Hope u are getting my point.

yes. one indian member at XDA has made his own animation for O1. will need to look how to integrate it. if it needs root.

i prefer QWERTY. used swype extensively for a month & now shifted to LG keyboard.

Is it possible to delete the Favorites in call log as clearing the call log deletes only the dialled/missed/received numbers ?

i am using GO Contacts. & there you can unselect the favorite. try pressing the * at the right.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
delete? i think you must have at least 1 access point.

Ok..But there are no options to delete the others.

i prefer QWERTY. used swype extensively for a month & now shifted to LG keyboard.

I prefer Gingerbread Keyboard for Froyo. Though I haven't used it but it seems from the looks it is very good as they have realigned the backspace key (abc). I don't want to upgrade to gingerbread as of now but like to use that keyboard app alone once I root the phone. As of now I am learning and downloaded z4root and will be experimenting it after sometime. I also saw Customs roms ( I like Cyanogenmod CM 7 thru xda ) are good. Will be rooting the phone after a few months and will be installing custom roms.
I downloaded few games to my mobile but not installed. Battery is good with brightness set to 30 percent ( It is still bright :) ) and Screen rotation turned off.

Please do suggest me a good audio player and a good equalizer ?

If I install GO Launcher Ex and uninstall it, Can I get back to my default LG launcher ?

Also, Can I use the Go Launch Ex Themes for LG Launcher ?

As of now I am using the default OI file Manager. I observed when I click OI File Manager -- > Media -- > Audio -- > Notifications --- > a audio file called "Facebook Ringtone Pop" is present there. I didn't upload any audio files nor apps as of now but this file is present. Is the facebook ringtone pop present as a default in OI File Manager in this location ?

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ok..But there are no options to delete the others.

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TzUtzwcvjl4/TgrPPGJ2iJI/AAAAAAAAAKU/gDVDTtbkoDE/snap20110629_123618.png

I prefer Gingerbread Keyboard for Froyo. Though I haven't used it but it seems from the looks it is very good as they have realigned the backspace key (abc). I don't want to upgrade to gingerbread as of now but like to use that keyboard app alone once I root the phone. As of now I am learning and downloaded z4root and will be experimenting it after sometime. I also saw Customs roms ( I like Cyanogenmod CM 7 thru xda ) are good. Will be rooting the phone after a few months and will be installing custom roms.

the key spacing is good in LG keyboard. in android keyboard i am not so comfortable.

Z4Root won't work. you'll need Ginger Root app. Z4Root only works for 2.2.0 & not 2.2.2/2.2.2

Please do suggest me a good audio player and a good equalizer ?

i don't have much idea about players. i only use the stock player . other than that i have used Google player & winamp.

If I install GO Launcher Ex and uninstall it, Can I get back to my default LG launcher ?

yes. if you uninstall GO Launcher EX, you can get back to LG Launcher by pressing the home button 1 or 2 times. if you want to switch launcher, go to Setting>Applications> Manage Apps>choose that app & press Clear Defaults.

Also, Can I use the Go Launch Ex Themes for LG Launcher ?

no. you can't.

As of now I am using the default OI file Manager. I observed when I click OI File Manager -- > Media -- > Audio -- > Notifications --- > a audio file called "Facebook Ringtone Pop" is present there. I didn't upload any audio files nor apps as of now but this file is present. Is the facebook ringtone pop present as a default in OI File Manager in this location ?

it is a file associated with the Facebook app.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
it is a file associated with the Facebook app.

Thanks for clarifying this.

there are no options to delete the others.

I am not getting the Options for GPRS as pressing the Menu button not giving any options as posted in Pic by you.

Z4Root won't work. you'll need Ginger Root app. Z4Root only works for 2.2.0 & not 2.2.2/2.2.2

Will download Ginger Root from Market.

Apps are getting installed to Phone Memory by default. Where to find the options to make the apps installed in SD Card ?

Last edited:
OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I am not getting the Options for GPRS as pressing the Menu button not giving any options as posted in Pic by you.

don't know. this should be there.

Will download Ginger Root from Market.

market? mayn't be avl at market. search in XDA.

Apps are getting installed to Phone Memory by default. Where to find the options to make the apps installed in SD Card ?

in the App section under setting. select app & if it is installed in phone memory will have an option "Move to SD card". click it. but remember widgets (associated with that app) won't work for apps moved to external memory & some apps may loose their default selection like Launcher, keyboard & any widget.

so don't move GO Launcher to SD card.

also not all the data of an app will be moved. some apps have almost 60-70% data left inside phone memory. where some have 99% data moved.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
don't know. this should be there.

Yes, it is not there :(

in the App section under setting. select app & if it is installed in phone memory will have an option "Move to SD card". click it. but remember widgets (associated with that app) won't work for apps moved to external memory & some apps may loose their default selection like Launcher, keyboard & any widget.

For most of the apps,Move to SD is not highlighted. Yes we can install Go Launcher, Keyboard apps, Widgets in Phone Memory. How abt games ? Let me look for an app for this.

I found App2SD to install apps in SD. I think it will be useful but still apps as mentioned above must be in Phone Mem. Also check out this Androinica » How to Install Apps to the SD Card by Default on Android 2.2 Froyo

mohityadavx

Youngling
Hi i am suffering a strange problem in my p500 actually whenever someone
call me i get unknown calling ie i cant see the no of person who is calling me
irrespective of the fact whether he is in my contacts or not i cant see no
even later on in call log plz plz help me

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Hi i am suffering a strange problem in my p500 actually whenever someone
call me i get unknown calling ie i cant see the no of person who is calling me
irrespective of the fact whether he is in my contacts or not i cant see no
even later on in call log plz plz help me

so you updated your mobile & still no fix?

try using GO contact. it comes with its own dialer so it may show the no/name when you receive a call. else you can take it to LG service center. let them fix it.

but if you want to fix it yourself you may load a custom rom, but i doubt it'll fix it.

tmanikandan

The Incredible
@Mohit

The contacts might be saved in SD card / Phone Mem ( Not in Sim ) and try to import the contact list.

Also try using GO Contact

@ A2mn

The dust issue had been solved in the handsets that were shipped post Jan 2011.The problem doesn't persist now. If u bought the handset before Jan 2011, u can very well fix the issue by contacting LG Service Center.

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
cause the review is still enjoying nearly 100 views per day, decided to update the review with new infos & to notify readers about the performance bump with the updated Android builds.

UPDATE:

1. added Wildfire S & Galaxy Pro as competitors.
2. added new & fresh Neocore scores.
3. some small edits.

Neo

so O1 is the best phone for its price range.
i'm getting it for 11k at my local shop(white color and a bluetooth).should i go for it?

OP
coderunknown

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ depends. if you use camera a lot, at best you'll be disappointed. if you like gaming, then again you'll be disappointed(thanks to laggy angry birds & lack of keypad). but for everything else, it is worth buying.

11k is too much. 9-9.5k is more reasonably. try mobile store or some local store/mall. pay 11k only if you want the bluetooth headset.

Top Bottom