Reusing parts from Alienware X51 to new PC

vinais

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

Am planning to build a new PC and re-use parts of my existing Alienware PC till they last. Mainly looking at GPU and power supply first and then CPU/MBD. I wanted to ask if I move the HDD will it just be plug and play in the new config or do I need to reinstall OS (new copy?)

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: GAMING

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: NO

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: WINDOWS 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Will use existing 1 TB HDD; maybe add a SSD later

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Have a Dell 1080P monitor 2240L

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Ideally, HDD, RAM

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Myself

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai - online is also fine

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Suggestions on Case are welcome. Planning the following upgrades now:

Zotac GTX 960 4GB DDR5
Intel Core i5 6600
Gigabyte H170-D3H

Thanks for helping!

nac

Aspiring Novelist
If you don't mind, can you list out all your existing components? From CPU to KB/mouse, everything.

50k is for the entire build or for the three components you mentioned at the end of your post? If it's for entire build, budget is not sufficient.

Cabinet - Check our Corsair 100r - 300r (price ranging from 3500-5000)

PSU - Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520w - 5500
GPU - Zotac GTX 960 - 18000

CPU - i5 6600 - 16950
MB - H170 D3H - 9800

RAM - If you don't have DDR4 stick, you have to buy new. Corsair vengeance DDR4 8GB - 2600

SSD - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB - 4500

Assuming you will reuse KB/mouse too from your previous build.

OP
V

vinais

Thanks.. Budget was for the parts you have given. Although Considering reusing the existing mobo+cpu and getting a higher gpu. Is there a significantly higher impact of 960 vs 970 on third gen i5 cpus and mobos

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Nope very negligible bottlenecks for i5 GPUs.. however the difference in performance between 960 and 970 is significant.
My suggestion is wait till Polaris launches in India, its meant to be a 960 competitor in pricing that has better performance than 970

OP
V

vinais

Hi All,

Just an Update:

Went ahead and swapped the MOBO+CPU to a NZXT Source 210 case; Corsair 650W PSU and Zotac GTX 1070 'AMP' card. System runs like a dream. Will upgrade the processor and board at a future date. Thanks to all who posted!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Hi All,

Just an Update:

Went ahead and swapped the MOBO+CPU to a NZXT Source 210 case; Corsair 650W PSU and Zotac GTX 1070 'AMP' card. System runs like a dream. Will upgrade the processor and board at a future date. Thanks to all who posted!

Is the PSU from VS Series?

Top Bottom