Status
Not open for further replies.

sid_cool

Broken In
1. How to resize my hard disk partitions without losing any data?
Plz suggest a freeware.

2. Is it necessary that an OS should be installed on drive C: ?

3. Whenever I switch on my PC, Win XP SP2 says that the password or username u have typed is wrong. Then i have to click OK and in the username field change "Administer" to "Administrator" then type the password and then i can log on to windows.
I have only one account that is of Administrator.
I think something is trying to log on with username "Administer" and some password but fails.

Everytime clicking OK and changing Administer to Administrator is painful.
Suggest any remedy.

4. Some one can please explain to me what is BitTorrent?

5. And how to use Gaim?

Thanks.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
1-->For resizing partiton use the inbuilt tool in windows Xp.You can find it by right clicking on my computer & manage.Under that look at the disk management to show all your partitions.Alternately you can use
G-parted from www.gnu.org/software/parted/ which you download & burn as a cd & boot the pc.

2--> Not necessary.

4-->Bittorrent:*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent

redhat

Mad and Furious
I could be some adware or virus, or that u have made a mistake in the login and set ur default username as Administer.

OP
S

sid_cool

Broken In
redhat said:
I could be some adware or virus, or that u have made a mistake in the login and set ur default username as Administer.

How can I change my default username from "Administer" to "Administrator"?

5. Regarding Gaim,
I have a gmail ID while my friend has a Yahoo ID. So can i use gaim to chat with him or do i need to create a yahoo ID?

Sid

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
1. How to resize my hard disk partitions without losing any data?
Plz suggest a freeware.

Use 3rd party softwares, like Partition Magic or if u r using Vista, then it allows u to resizing the partitions.

2. Is it necessary that an OS should be installed on drive C: ?

No.

3. Whenever I switch on my PC, Win XP SP2 says that the password or username u have typed is wrong. Then i have to click OK and in the username field change "Administer" to "Administrator" then type the password and then i can log on to windows.
I have only one account that is of Administrator.
I think something is trying to log on with username "Administer" and some password but fails.

Everytime clicking OK and changing Administer to Administrator is painful.
Suggest any remedy.

I think it was done by mistake. To correct the username, type:

control userpasswords2

in RUN dialog box and then uncheck the option "Users must enter username & password to use this computer" option. After that it'll ask the password, enter it.

Pathik

Google Bot
4. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent
5. Gaim is a multi IM client wich supports yahoo/gmail/msn/jabber etc...
just open it and enter ur user id/ pwd and login..

OP
S

sid_cool

Broken In
" I think it was done by mistake. To correct the username, type:

control userpasswords2

in RUN dialog box and then uncheck the option "Users must enter username & password to use this computer" option. After that it'll ask the password, enter it."

The box is already unchecked and what was done by mistake?

Let me explain the problem properly:
I have an Intel motherboard. So when i reinstalled my OS i had to reinstall the drivers from the Intel CD.
Now this Intel CD installs software in such a way that it has to restart the computer after it installs one driver and then install the second driver and so on. So it asked me to provide my username and password so that it can automatically log on to my computer. So that i did not have to enter my username and password again and again.

But this is what happened:----
In the place where i had to give the username and password i did this mistake:-
Instead of writing "Administrator" in the account name i wrote "Administer".
I gave it the correct password.

I think since than it (the setup of intel CD) is trying to log on to windows using "Administer" as username.

I think it created a file (of some kind that activates on booting) that always tries to log on to windows using the wrong details.

This seems to be a complex problem.
I need to find out how and where does it stores the account information so that i can stop it from trying to log on.

Hopefully someone knows the solution,
Thanx,
Sid

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thats what I posted, u might entered the wrong username by mistake. ;)
I think following method can solve it:

Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
in right-side pane, look for a String value DefaultUserName and change its value to Administrator.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Hi,

Type this in the Run dialog box

control userpasswords2

When the new window opens untick the option that says

"Users must enter username & password to use this computer"

Then click apply. After that again tick that option and click on apply.
This time it will ask for username and password. Supply the administrator in the username and the proper password in the boxes and then click apply and ok. Restart and check. If it doesnt work please tell us here.

OP
S

sid_cool

Broken In
Well, Cool G5 , redhat , Vishal Gupta (or should i write VISTA) :) , pathiks and djmykey

Thanks.

That (all your posts) really worked and saved me of the irritation.

Now about my first question on resizing partitions,

Cool G5---
wrote that i should use disk management tool of WinXP but dosen't allow me to resize partitions without losing my "preciuos" data.

u also suggested that use GNU parted but a quick look at the link *www.gnu.org/software/parted/features.shtml shows that it cannot resize NTFS partitions.

Vishal Gupta---
he suggested that i use Partition magic but it is not a freeware and i dont know where to obtain a trial copy. If somebody knows please tell me.

So my first question is still open!!

Plz help me the way u helped in solving my other questions.

Once again Thanks 2 u all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom