Required Router For Wishnet Broadband

sajal

Broken In
Since you asked me to reply, i have to admit here, I honestly don't have a good answer to your query. I've seen some people mention about some app for auto login of Wishnet in Facebok group, i never needed one since my PC is on 24x7 and i never have to login repeatedly. I am not sure when Wishnet gets logged out, it must be after a few hours of not using internet.

I'm think if the NAS is always on, you'll be logged into Wishnet all the time as well. I have to login like a few times a month, sometimes Wishnet logs out by itself even when Im browsing.

WR841 is a good router although I never have been able to utilise the full 300 mbps bandwidth of it, I use a 150mbps TP Link WR721 USB Adapter and I've uploaded at speeds of 10 MB/s max, from the next room, and when I use my laptop, 3 walls apart, diagonally opposite room of my 1600 sq home, to copy files from Homegroup PC I get 2-3 MB/s barely. I might have been happy with a 150mbps Router. If you are able to use the full 300mbps please mention here.

Thanks mitraark, thanks a lot for your post. By now I'm confirmed that wishnet will be wonderful in terms of connection, since I already got confirmation from two satisfied users, this does force me to move ahead from my age old BSNL based system.

Secondly I do own a Dlink 2750u adsl router which is 300mbps and I get the full 300mbps when I stream HD quality movies on my TV from the NAS.. so I'm sure I'll be able to do the same with the TPLink, but will definitely let you guys know after I have setup properly, probably 10+ days from now, remember I haven't yet confirmed wishnet service or even ordered the modem, going to do now :)

Regarding the auto connect script, I have high hopes that I will be able to code it, will update about it also in future.

and tkin, I do not have the custom MACID feature in my current dlink router and I seriously hope dlink does something about their software updates in future, I'm sure most knowledgeable users will switch over from them to other companies like Netgea/Asus/TP-Link

Thanks again.

mitraark

Decrepit
I stream 1080p Music Videos from PC to my mobile, of upto 1 GB size for a 4 minute video, even those don't have a bitrate of more than 6 MB/s , and they play smoothly on my mobile. 300mbps would only be fully utilised when we do large file transfers i guess.

sajal

Broken In
Ok will definiely check with Large files via 2 devices connected via LAN cable and update.. Also have already ordered the TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps, also if somebody wants its 150mbps counterpart TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps is available at 800+ , both should be great for Wishnet and both support dd-wrt (who knows it might come handy for the tweakers)

On a side note, did anybody check GarGoyle firmware, looks awesome due to its functions, I know this is out of topic, but just couldn't resist to ask
*www.gargoyle-router.com/ (TP Link router does support it)

Last edited:

cheesiechimp

Right off the assembly line
Sorry for the dumb question.

Can't the MAC address of the router itself be registered with Wishnet instead of MAC spoofing? Wouldn't the router then have an always on connection if it was left on? At what stage of the provisioning process do Wishnet ask for the MAC address?

I find this a bit difficult to grasp. It would be annoying to have to sign in to ISP network every now and then. I live in the UK. I have had cable broadband before. Used dd-wrt on Linksys WRT54G router and had an always on connection. Devices connected to the router never had to log in (ISP Virgin media)

Brief Background

I am trying to convince my relative (in Behala) to try Wishnet / Alliance for a year to see the quality of service compared to pathetic CalcuttaTelephones connection they have at present.

=== Edit 08-Jun-2015 ===

My relatives got Wishnet connection through Sristi cable operator in Behala (near Chourasta). A static IP address was given to them.

After switching the router on, a computer / tablet has to be used to access a login page (*192.168.183.x:9081) to sign in to start internet access. Minor irritant when compared to the autologin feature set on the modem for their BSNL (PPPoA, I think) connection.

But the connection quality is waaaay better than BSNL (particularly PING values - under 20ms).

IP settings configured for the WAN settings on the router (Static IP) as below:

static IP - 10.10.46.x
subnet = 255.255.255.192
gateway = 10.10.46.x
dns1 = 172.16.0.1
dns2 10.10.0.1

Router used: TP-LINK WR841N v9 from Amazon India

Speedtest results (Bronze Super 512Kbps plan)
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Last edited:
Top Bottom