Replacing laptop HD with an SSD : Need recommendation's

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
The title says it all, I could do the research myself but I am too lazy :).

Any-ways I need an SSD for my laptop to replace my 2.5 inch HD.I am probably going to buy an SATA to USB cable and use the HD like an external HD.

Now, what capacity SSD would a good buy ?, also how much do these things cost ?.

I would prefer to keep the price under 5K, all-though I wouldn't mind spending a little extra if its worth the buck.

Recommendation's, "s'il vous plait" ? :)

Cheers!
Abhijit

$hadow

Geek in making
Samsung is providing good ssd at this price point.
Capacity is like the more you pay the more you can get. So it is purely your choice to make.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
If you don't use your DVD drive much you can replace it with your normal hdd. Use SATA-USB cable to connect DVD drive to laptop.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Alright if by half gig you mean 512MB, then such SSDs don't exist.
If by any chance you mean 512GB then nearly 50k bucks.

lol do some research , its 27k not 50k
Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 GB SSD Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7PD512BW) - Samsung: Flipkart.com

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
My bad, I mean't half TB.So 120 GB is the max I can get at around 5-6 K ?

Would that be enough for windows and other installed apps(excluding games ?)

vito scalleta

In the zone
120 gb is enough for windows and programs..
if u dnt install really large programs then use u can have one game in the ssd.. that would decrease the load times in games such as Assassins creed

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I am thinking of buying this to replace my latop HD

Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB Desktop & Laptop Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7TE120BW) - Samsung : Flipkart.com

I have a Windows 7 installation disk, anything else I should be careful about ?

vito scalleta

In the zone
I am thinking of buying this to replace my latop HD

Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB Desktop & Laptop Internal Hard Drive (MZ-7TE120BW) - Samsung : Flipkart.com

I have a Windows 7 installation disk, anything else I should be careful about ?

I bought the same ssd for my y510p
But the Samsung data migration tool did not work well for me... Explorer.exe was repeatedly restarting after I moved the OS to the ssd using the Samsung's software .. I tried it like 3 times .. So after that I was suggested AOMEI software by seamon i think... It did the job well and I was not having the problem anymore
The OS I was using was win8.1

Top Bottom