Replace chipset fan with new fan/heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Hi.

I recently cleaned my computer.
I also cleaned the chipset fan for dirt.

But after starting the computer, the fan has started making too much noise.
When I power on the computer, initially for 1-2 seconds, the chipset fan makes no noise but then starts making a loud noise.

What could have happened?
This never happened before I cleaned the fan.
I checked & there is nothing stuck in it.

As it's winter time here & cold, for now, I have disconnected power supply of chipset fan.

I would like to replace the current fan.
It's got retaining pegs.
After browing online, I learnt how to remove the chipset.

Now what I want to know is, which good chipset fan/heatsink should I use which is available in India, not too expensive & compatible with my motherboard.

The board is still under warranty but now unavailable in India.

MSI Neo2-FX:
*asia.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=174&maincat_no=1

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
First of all changing the chipset HSF will void your current warranty.

I don't think that Chipset coolers are that much popular in India.
U can call prime ABGB and ask them if they keep chipset HSF coolers.
Local shops in remote places wouldn't have one.However if u live in mumbai or Delhi u can try your luck.
Don't be afraid to make your own custom coolers.
BTW are u experiencing instability issues.

Last edited:
OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Well, I conveyed my query to MSI customer support.
They said that if I retained my current chipset fan, it would not void my warranty.
But I have sought further info from them regarding the same.

I do need to replace the chipset fan with another fan or heatsink since it had been creating some problem for past 1 year but lately it had gone really bad.

Since I live in Delhi, I think I'll be able to find a chipset fan or heatsink.

If I don't, I'll order one from ITDepot.
They have one for about 400 rupees.

But I need to find out whether it's compatible with my motherboard for which I have sought explanation from MSI customer support.

Till then, plz keep suggesting.
Plz, I really need all your suggestions.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Check with any coolermaster dealer, there have good chipset coolers. Zalman and other are not available in india through retailers but as "harvik780" has mentioned, you'll find good thermalright chipset coolers from Prime ABGB mumbai.
Look here www.sidewindercomputers.com select a chipset cooler and ask Prime if they have it or not. Most probably they will have it or can arrange it for you. Call them at 022-23828100

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
^^John.I already asked for a zalman cooler from them and they couldn't arrange one for me.I have the list of coolers they sell and he probably won't get a chipset HSF from them.They only order in bulk.
BTW i couldn't set up SLI with the cooler master/thermalright coolers for my GPU.Put simply that cooler master wasn't available and thermalright didn't support SLI.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Now that's sad n yup I know that they don't store zalman products but chances are that one can get some of the thermalright coolers from them.

As for SLI your could try getting the Arctic Cooling thingy or thermaltake DuOrb for GPU from sidewinder. Its better to buy from them (online) as there are many more choices and service is really good.

Surely those bulky thermalright coolers won't support SLI since in most cases you can't fit two side by side. So did you face this same problem or something else?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
^^John thermaltake DuOrb is not compatible with an 8600.I have both 8600 SLI and 8800 SLI.I have to use the coolers with 8600(s).Performance is not a problem with 8800 SLI but 8600 SLI needs overclocking to perform good in demanding games.
I have though ordered for Arctic Cooling's MX-2 thermal compound.Hope it'll help lower down the temps.

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Come on guys, stick to the topic.
I'm querying for mobo chipset fan/heatsink & u guys are off to GPU's.
Plz...

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
@ g_goyal2000

Hmmm.....sorry.........coming back to the topic, as I had mentioned earlier find a coolermaster dealer and look for one of these *www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=morecategory&finalflag=Y&tbcate=1&cateid=000014

All of these are available in kolkata, so must be available at your place. Also talk with Prime, they will definetly help you.

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Ok guys.
I sent my mobo for repair on 26 December..
And yesterday, I've received it back with a brand new fan.
It's smaller than previous one & looks much better. :)
Don't know about it's cooling which will come under test in summers.

OP
g_goyal2000

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Ok, some bad news for me again.
It seems that my graphics card's fan has also started making noise.
It's out of warranty, so I'll have to pay to get the fan replaced.

yogi7272

Cyborg Agent
dude .. if ur looking for a chipset cooler .. then get thermalright hr05 sli chipset cooler from prime .. some 1.1k ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom