Remote monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispote

Broken In
High all,

My friend have a farm that is about 200 kilometers away from his city where he resides. Currently, he makes weekly up-down to watch out the activities going on in the farm.

Is there any way that he can monitor all the activities over there just by sitting in his house? What kind of software & hardware technologies can be used to achieve this? And what will be the possible cost?

Can anybody guide on this issue?

ThanQ

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well my uncle has setup this at his office-home he has used a dlink wi-fi camera for this ...

its like u buy a fixed ip net conx (broadband 256+ for better results) and set it up at the farm and then at home all u need is to setup the software for controlling the camera or even u can directly watch his farm at ur place via a net browser by just entering the ip address (that part i have not been successful at)

slugger

Banned
all you need to do is Set Up A Live Webcast

also check out this Webcasting

since this wud be u pivate webcast you would laso need to setup your own streaming server

How to set up Windows Media Services 9 Series to use HTTP streaming on port 80 with IIS 6.0 installed

Streaming from a Web Server

Last edited:
OP
I

ispote

Broken In
Hi,
Thank you very much for such an extensive information. One more point I clicked that it is a rural area (Konkan in Maharashtra). Therefore, there is no broadband facility yet and power goes daily for 3 to 6 hours.

ThanQ

slugger

Banned
Therefore, there is no broadband facility yet

if u can get a dialup connection, then you can configure the streamin sw to record at very low fps sumthin like 6-7fps. so less data will be transferred [but it will feel as if u watchin a slideshow]
but if you plannin on keepin it on 24/7 dialup wil cause ur telepbhone bill to shoot up (to the next nearest galaxy)

and power goes daily for 3 to 6 hours.
ThanQ

then eithr u dont do any monitoring at that time or make arrangement for sum kinda backup power

BTW how do u intend to do the viewing - will sum1 start the webcast from the farm and u will watch it from the city

or u want to b able to start the webcast urself sittin in in the city

d first 1 IMO will b easier to achieve d second 1 will require a little more tinkerin to do

OP
I

ispote

Broken In
Hi,

Actually someone will start the monitoring over the site. Also, the TATA Indicom and BSNL networks are just fine there. So is it possible to use these network for internet (GPRS)? And what kind of cameras can be used? I have no idea. Are they like Sony Handycam or special ones?

ThanQ,

slugger

Banned
u shud b lookin for wall mounted CCTV type cameras

Although a handycam will do the job - but for such uses a handycam may turn out to be a fragile eqpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom