Reliability of Corsair VX450 PSU

quicky008

Technomancer
I purchased a corsair vx450 for my system a couple of months earlier and i've been using it since then.So far,it has worked properly and i have not faced any problems with it at all.However,of late,it has started emitting a low-pitched jittery noise that sounds a lot like "kirrrrrrrrr" while my PC is on.I have no idea whether this is normal or not.I have checked my system thoroughly and it doesn't seem that something else is causing this annoying sound.

This worries me greatly as the cooler master PSU i had earlier also generated a lot of noise(which sounded quite different though) before it began to malfunction.According to the technical details that are available on corsair's website,this PSU is supposed to be "ultra quiet"-hence a properly working vx450 should not emit any kind of noise.Now i have started to question the reliability of this PSU-it may not be as good as most of us usually think.

As far as i know,several members of this forum own this PSU-has anyone faced a similar problem with it?What should i do now?I feel really disappointed as i was under the impression that this PSU is extremely reliable.

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I purchased a corsair vx450 for my system a couple of months earlier and i've been using it since then.So far,it has worked properly and i have not faced any problems with it at all.However,of late,it has started emitting a low-pitched jittery noise that sounds a lot like "kirrrrrrrrr" while my PC is on.I have no idea whether this is normal or not.I have checked my system thoroughly and it doesn't seem that something else is causing this annoying sound.

This worries me greatly as the cooler master PSU i had earlier also generated a lot of noise(which sounded quite different though) before it began to malfunction.According to the technical details that are available on corsair's website,this PSU is supposed to be "ultra quiet"-hence a properly working vx450 should not emit any kind of noise.Now i have started to question the reliability of this PSU-it may not be as good as most of us usually think.

As far as i know,several members of this forum own this PSU-has anyone faced a similar problem with it?What should i do now?I feel really disappointed as i was under the impression that this PSU is extremely reliable.

Is the low pitched noise constant, or just on start up. You have the device hooked up to a UPS..?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If you have any UPS let us know the model no of that UPS.
This sounds problem might be the result of UPS problem.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
If you have any UPS let us know the model no of that UPS.
This sounds problem might be the result of UPS problem.

Thanks to everyone for replying.I have an APC Back-ups ES 650,the sensitivity of which has been set to "high"-I don't use my computer without it as voltage fluctuations occur frequently in this region.How can the noise be caused by the UPS?

@Asingh-the sound is intermittent,it cannot be heard continuously.

Last edited:
OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
@quicky008: VX450 is just superb...
there may be some loose connections in connection with PSU....

Thank you for your suggestion,but i don't think this problem is being caused by some loose connection.

@Megamind:Yes.But the sound is not very loud and hence it can be heard only if the surroundings are absolutely quiet.

I am also using the same psu for over a year now and have the same buzzing sound whenever there is a power cut and inverter switches to battery mode.
But the noise vanishes when the power returns.

At first I was also worried that my components might get damaged.
Did some googling and saw on corsair support forums that it was normal and won't hurt anything. It was caused by the primary capacitors operating on the "not a real sine wave" output of the UPS.

My inverter is Microtek EB850 and I think its output is not a real sine wave but square wave.
Hope it helps.

Top Bottom