Regular broadband disconnection

Status
Not open for further replies.

nil_3

In the zone
I have a BSNL Home 500 (dynamic IP) Internet plan with DLink DSL502T ADSL modem. I experience compulsory disconnection and automatic re-connection at an interval of 25-30 minute when the modem is configured in PPPoE/PPPoA mode. As a result, downloading gets stopped (but surprisingly IP address is not changed). But if I configure the modem in bridge mode with manual insertion of username & password, there is no disconnection even after running for several hours.

BSNL also recommends to configure the modem in bridge mode.

My question is: why is such compulsory disconnection in PPPoE/PPPoA mode?
I think, this disconnection is for re-dialing/re-inputing username and password and it is programmed to do this after an interval of 25-30 minutes. Please correct me if I am wrong. also, if that be so, then whether it is possible to change the program so that it will not disconnect at such a regular interval?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
its BSNL problem not PPPoE/PPPoA mode problem.
I have been using PPPoE mode for years and never faced any such problem on my Airtel BB.

Do you use LAN or USB to connect modem??

OP
nil_3

nil_3

In the zone
its BSNL problem not PPPoE/PPPoA mode problem.

If it is BSNL problem then how it is possible that there is not even a single disconnection in SIX hours each for 2-3 days configured at Bridge mode whereas regular disconnection in 25-30 minutes at PPPoE/PPPoA mode?

Do you use LAN or USB to connect modem??

Tested in both LAN and USB; same problem.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
If it is BSNL problem then how it is possible that there is not even a single disconnection in SIX hours each for 2-3 days configured at Bridge mode whereas regular disconnection in 25-30 minutes at PPPoE/PPPoA mode?
You should ask this question from BSNL customer care.
PPPoE mode don't have any such problem.

I have used PPPoE mode on MTNL and Airtel and never faced frequent disconnection problem.

Possible causes can be..
1) Modem hardware and firmware problem
2) Modem setting problem
3) Line problem.

Ask any of your neighbor using BSNL, if he is also facing similar problem.

OP
nil_3

nil_3

In the zone
I also suspect this may be a farmware-related problem. But the problem is that DLink India stopped production of DSL502T modem and the last available farmware update is V2.00B01T01.ML.20050530. Farmware upgrade v2.00B12.AU_20070425 is available through DLink Australia website (*www.dlink.com.au/tech/Download/download.aspx?product=DSL-502T). But a note on this upgrade says "NOTE: This firmware is only suitable for modems/routers distributed in Australia. If you bought your router outside Australia or New Zealand the firmware upgrade may damage your router and void the Warranty."

Can I safely upgrade my modem from the Australian DLink site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom