REGISTRY Stored ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajkumar_personal

Ignorance is BLISS !!
I just wanted to know ==> where does the windows registry store its registry contents ??

I checked the size of regedit.exe and it was some odd 200+ KB.
I guess it is so because it is just an interface app.
Where does it actually store the information ?

I exported my registry and it came up to be a whopping 70+ MB :!: :!:

And one more query !!

How can I access the HKCU key of any other user account from the administrator account !
I know I can do it by logging into the users account and see but I Just wanted to know how do i do it without that way !

devarajan

Journeyman
The physical files that make up the registry are stored differently depending on your version of Windows; under Windows 95, 98 & ME it is contained in two hidden files in your Windows directory, called USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT, while under Windows NT/2000 the files are contained separately in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Config directory. You can not edit these files directly, you must use a tool usually known as a "Registry Editor" to make any changes ......

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
rajkumar_personal said:
How can I access the HKCU key of any other user account from the administrator account !
I know I can do it by logging into the users account and see but I Just wanted to know how do i do it without that way !
*www.mcse.ms/archive71-2004-10-1189972.html

Hopefully, it will prove handy!

::vicky::

In the zone
devarajan said:
The physical files that make up the registry are stored differently depending on your version of Windows; under Windows 95, 98 & ME it is contained in two hidden files in your Windows directory, called USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT, while under Windows NT/2000 the files are contained separately in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Config directory. You can not edit these files directly, you must use a tool usually known as a "Registry Editor" to make any changes ......

yes dev is right user.dat and system.dat in windows 98 me and in xp/2000 it is the %SystemRoot%\System32\Config

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom