Regarding RAM expansion...

yogesh419

Right off the assembly line
Hi,
I have Gigabyte Motherboard and in that I have 1 GB transcend ram. So I want to expand the Ram to 3 GB, my question is can I expand my ram? for 1 GB ram, its frequency is 533 MHz so If I buy the ram of 2 GB of frequency 533 or 670 Mhz then it would compatible with my motherboard or not.... Also they work properly or not.
My motherboard no. is gigabyte ga 945gcmx.:?

Cilus

laborare est orare
From the frequency of your Ram, I think it is a DDR2 ram. How many ram slots your motherboard has? You can add a single 2 GB DDr2 800 MHz module to your system to make it 3 GB. The price is 1.4K to 1.6K. However, probaly the 800 Mhz will be down clocked to 533 MHz and there may be some compatibility issue. So better sell of the 533 MHz one (it is really slow) and add a 800 MHz 2 GB module.

OP
Y

yogesh419

I have 2 Ram slots. And suppose If I bought the Ram of 677 MHz of 2GB then it will be okay.. Also suggest me the place where i can sell the Ram..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want to keep the old 533Mhz module the new ram module speed will be down clocked to 533Mhz but if you only want to use the the new ram module then the ram speed will be maximum supported by your mobo.

533 and 667 Mhz ram modules are very hard to find - so it's better to get 800Mhz DDR2 ram module - fairly available everywhere.

BTW, there's no 677/670 Mhz ram module - the speed is 667 Mhz ;-)

OP
Y

yogesh419

Thanks for sharing the information...
I think u r right instead of buying 667MHz ram I will go for 800Mhz thats good for my PC...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, get 800 Mhz DDR2 ram from some reputed brand like - Transcend, Kingston, Zion or Corsair rtc.

Top Bottom