reformatting................

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit

Broken In
I have 30 gbs of movies & mp3s on my hdd & I want to reformat my hdd. Now I'm in no mood to burn them on cds & neither do I have an external hard disk. Is there a way to keep those movies & mp3s & still reformat? I have win xp installed.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
i dont think its possible.. there was a similar thread runnin already.. anyway its not possible.. try copyin it into any of ya frnds HDD temp and copy it back.. :D

here is a link on this topic.. not totally similar tho..

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14205&highlight=backup

theraven

Technomancer
how do u expect to format without loosing data unless u back up data somewhere ?
well anyways heres a sit. for u

create a partition
dump data there
format prev. partition and reinstall os
dump data back
else get a friends hdd to back up all ur data

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Get Data One connection And open a gmail account then up load all the stuff to the gmail site Reformat/boil / burn / drop/jump on your HDD and once you have done it you can download the data back.

digen

Youngling
pradeep_chauhan said:
Get Data One connection And open a gmail account then up load all the stuff to the gmail site Reformat/boil / burn / drop/jump on your HDD and once you have done it you can download the data back.
Dude have you gone bonkers?You expect him to upload 30GB's stuff over a 1gb email account?
Above that gmail considers that as a breach of agreement on the users part as it clearly states its not a storage medium.There have been quite a number of email account lockouts for a temp period because of this reason.

babumuchhala

In the zone
If got an hrider.com 1TB account he can upload stuff to his id and the company it self said that it was fr storage purpose they were giving 1 TB. Now they just givin 1 GB so no use wastin time on this crap site

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
hell yea!!! lets get dataone which has a 400MB limit and upload 30GB...then, when we r done formatting, we will download 30GB again...even if they wont charge u 4 overuse, they will just disbable ur account 4 overuse...rather, abuse of ur connection...thats 60GB of data transfer...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
cheetah said:
Copy them on a spare harddisk using norton ghost or Drive2Drive and then format.

i seriously dont recommend this idea....as for using norton ghost the configuration and specs of ur hard disk and must exactly match the other hard disk....which will be a very rare case....unless u find a friend who just happens to have a exact same hard disk config as urs and is willing to loose his data and back up ur data...lol :lol: and in the event that anything goes wrong if the specs dun match then u'll definetly end up screwing both ur original as well as the second hard disk :cry:

Also 30Gb is way too much data pal....theres no other way other than attaching another secondary hard disk and then transferring the data to it :wink:

babumuchhala

In the zone
:arrow: Get one of ur friends HDD fr a day copy the data on it. Reformat ur HDD.(now this time be wise and create partions). Retransfer data frm ur friends HDD to urs. Return ur friends HDD with thank*members.shaw.ca/wpf/misc_expressions/yeah.gif

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Well, I can think of only 3 things.

1. To either take the HDD to a friend's place, dump the data, reformat properly this time around with partitions, install the OS and copy the data back.
2. Use Partition Magic to create a partition on the free space, dump the data there and proceed.
3. I suppose you can convert the entire disk to a Dynamic Volume if you're using Windows 2000/XP/2003 and then create a volume on it, dump the data there.

theraven

Technomancer
sure
lets all repeat ideas shall we ?
theraven said:
create a partition
dump data there
dump data back

cheetah said:
Copy them on a spare harddisk using norton ghost or Drive2Drive and then format.
babumuchahala said:
Get one of ur friends HDD fr a day copy the data on it. Reformat ur HDD.(now this time be wise and create partions). Retransfer data frm ur friends HDD to urs. Return ur friends HDD with thank
enoonmai said:

1. To either take the HDD to a friend's place, dump the data, reformat properly this time around with partitions, install the OS and copy the data back.
2. Use Partition Magic to create a partition on the free space, dump the data there and proceed.
3. I suppose you can convert the entire disk to a Dynamic Volume if you're using Windows 2000/XP/2003 and then create a volume on it, dump the data there.

cmon guys .. repeat more
where are u vysakh, xenkatesh, saurav_chetah, svk ?
im sorry if i forgot ur names but these are the most active ones
cmon copy paste ... its easy .. u guys should know

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
pradeep_chauhan said:
This is really a funky idea and i dont think he was talkin a 3 mb file to upload, he was talkin about 30 GB and he will need to sownload them back. LOL

svk

Journeyman
theraven said:
sure
lets all repeat ideas shall we ?
theraven said:
create a partition
dump data there
dump data back

cheetah said:
babumuchahala said:
Get one of ur friends HDD fr a day copy the data on it. Reformat ur HDD.(now this time be wise and create partions). Retransfer data frm ur friends HDD to urs. Return ur friends HDD with thank
enoonmai said:

cmon guys .. repeat more
where are u vysakh, xenkatesh, saurav_chetah, svk ?
im sorry if i forgot ur names but these are the most active ones
cmon copy paste ... its easy .. u guys should know

raven , was it an insult or joke ???

Tech&ME

Banned
ya u can do that and that very easy with Windows XP. Actually Windows XP allows you to do exactly what u want to do.

First of all, check that you have those movies and mp3 of your in the My documents folder under your <user account name folder>.

Next, pop in the installtion CD of Window XP into your CD-Rom drive and ofcourse set it to be the first boot device, now restart windows, let your computer boot from the CD, accept the EULA and instead of doing a clean installtion of XP just opt for the UPGRADE installtion, u will be given an option before actuall installtion starts to retain your previous files and settings, select that option. Also don't format instead choose to lease the file system as it is. Now proseed. You are done. Your files in the My documents folder will remain as it is. This is the only solution i guess will work for you. ( others are right if u still want to clean format your hdd )

Tech&ME

Banned
ya u can do that and that very easy with Windows XP. Actually Windows XP allows you to do exactly what u want to do.

First of all, check that you have those movies and mp3 of your in the My documents folder under your <user account name folder>.

Next, pop in the installtion CD of Window XP into your CD-Rom drive and ofcourse set it to be the first boot device, now restart windows, let your computer boot from the CD, accept the EULA and instead of doing a clean installtion of XP just opt for the UPGRADE installtion, u will be given an option before actuall installtion starts to retain your previous files and settings, select that option. Also don't format instead choose to lease the file system as it is. Now proseed. You are done. Your files in the My documents folder will remain as it is. This process will re-install the entire OS on top of the existing one. This is the only solution i guess will work for you. ( others are right if u still want to clean format your hdd )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom