redundant OS selection menu at system boot time. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

arko

Broken In
hey, everyone! :lol:
this is not exactly a problem, but still i would like to know if there is something i can do about it.
i have just one copy of WindowsXP installed on my system, but at system boot, i still get the OS selection menu. i think the file "BOOT.PCP" is behind this weird behavior. if you want to know, then this is what the file contains:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

so, what do you think, is it safe to delete it?
let me know.

thanks,
arko.

swatkat

Technomancer
i think it's boot.ini file....
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

See the underlined entries above....
partition(1) stands for C: drive
partition(2) stands for D: drive
partition(3) stands for E: drive

so, is ur WinXP is installed in D: drive now?

anyway, u can delete this line:-

backup a copy of boot.ini file before doing changes.....

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
How many Windows folders have you anyway?? And who the hell installed your XP?? He's done it in the worst way possible.....................in each disk.
If your windows boots automatically without selecting any options after 30 seconds, you can follow the simplest option of changing the 30 to 0 and let the windows boot immediately. To do this,
Start| Run| 'Notepad.exe c:\boot.ini' now change the line "timeout=30" to "timeout=3" and restart. If thsi works fine, you may even change it to "timeout=0" for imediate boot.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
One small addition. To avoid potential screw-ups, always backup the file before attempting a change, or if all you want is a fix, then the SAFEST thing to do is right click My Computer, select Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings and select the default OS on whichever drive its installed on, and then uncheck the "Time to display list of selected operating systems"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom