recommend a psu

prathmesh

Broken In
hi all,
i have never assembled a desktop before, but have done my homework and taken some hints from this site and come up with this rig; I plan to order it all online. here is the rig
i5 3470
MSI ZH77A-G41 Motherboard
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5 GV-N660OC-2GD Graphics Card
corsair vengence 4gb; 1600MHz (X 2=8Gb)
seagate barricuda (ST31000524AS) 1Tb
cooler master elite 310

I have no idea about which smpu is required; kindly suggest. Also as this is my first time assembling so there is a chance i might have got something seriously wrong, like some compatibility issue, so do have a look and make suggestions. if all works out i hope my account will be lesser by 45K by this weekend. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ditch the Seagate HDD and grab a WD Blue instead and do you want to Oc your cpu ? and save some bucks and regarding PSU how much is your budget ? if you want a bare minimum PSU then a Cosair cx430v2 is enough.

Last edited:
OP
P

prathmesh

Broken In
my idea basically is that once i close the CPU cabinet, i dont want to have to open it for atleast 2 yrs. May think about over clocking after about a year or so or when my system starts to show its age. u sure Cosair cx430v2 would be enough, its only 430W whereas the graphics card requiremeny says 450 W?

ooops forgot abut my budget; just want a good psu that can run this system smoothly .dont plan on changing anything anytime soon, so dont want to have an over capable PSU. lets say max i can shell out is 4-5 K.
also if you could tell me good combined cabinet and PSU I would like that option too.

also the WD blue is out of stock in flipcart, any other site I can check.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
CX430v2 is enough if you won't OC the cpu much and there's no possibility of Ocing the i5 3470 with a H77 - both have no support for OCX

for PSu consider Corsair GS600 @ 4.5k

now for a OC capable cpu look for core i5 3570K @ ~14k, Asus P8Z77-M PRO @ 10.5 and Hyper 212 Evo @ 2.2k but if you want to opt for AMD config get FX-8350 @ 11.5k, Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 @ 10.3k and the cooler.

Also for GPu consider HD7850 2GB and for cabinet Corsair Carbide 400R @ ~5k

hitman4

In the zone
CX430v2 is enough if you won't OC the cpu much and there's no possibility of Ocing the i5 3470 with a H77 - both have no support for OCX

for PSu consider Corsair GS600 @ 4.5k

now for a OC capable cpu look for core i5 3570K @ ~14k, Asus P8Z77-M PRO @ 10.5 and Hyper 212 Evo @ 2.2k but if you want to opt for AMD config get FX-8350 @ 11.5k, Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 @ 10.3k and the cooler.

Also for GPu consider HD7850 2GB and for cabinet Corsair Carbide 400R @ ~5k

+1 for 7850 over GTX660
are you guys serious...?
gtx 660 is better than 7850 any day..

@OP go for this config.
Intel i5 3470 11800
MSI ZH77A G41 5700
G Skill RipjawsX 2x4Gb 3000
WD Blue 1Tb 4600
GV GTX 660 OC 14700
Corsair GS600 4400
NZXT Source 210 Elite 2800
TOTAL 47000

Neo

are you guys serious...?
gtx 660 is better than 7850 any day..
We are not talking about GTX660Ti. After the driver updates, HD7850 is a little better, and OCs a lot better than the gtx660.

Last edited:

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
if OP is going for the gtx660, then, IMO, get the non-OC version and then OC it to the specs on the OC card it'll save a few bucks. the cooling systems will support that.

OP
P

prathmesh

Broken In
hmm, havent owned a desktop in a while but will do the needful to keep the system running; cos the gaming should never stop.
and thanks for the quick replies; also specify a site where I can find the WD hard disc its out of stock in flipcart,
also hitman, the corsair gs600 is unavailable on flipcart; anywhere else i can look for it? like online.
the cabinet you suggested is in pre-order, and not for sale as yet.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
hmm, havent owned a desktop in a while but will do the needful to keep the system running; cos the gaming should never stop.
and thanks for the quick replies; also specify a site where I can find the WD hard disc its out of stock in flipcart,
also hitman, the corsair gs600 is unavailable on flipcart; anywhere else i can look for it? like online.
the cabinet you suggested is in pre-order, and not for sale as yet.

look at the above posty - you can also try sites like SMC International, theitwares, theitdepot, delta peripherals etc. - best would be if you can post your city/location ?

OP
P

prathmesh

Broken In
recently moved here i.e ahmedabad for a job. got my salary this week and have just ordered the above said rig. All thanks 2 u guys and flipcart. Did I mention that I got full hd 32'' television that I am going to use as my monitor? Hope 2 c u soon in the game world. Does anyone here play dota 2? coz that is where I am going to be; or maybe skyrim; gosh so many games to play and so little time. :))
and the psu i ordered is corsair gs600

Top Bottom