Recommend a Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSOD

Err.. what?
I'm planning to get a new HDD with a capacity of 1TB. I was thinking of getting a WD one as Seagate seems to have quite a few problems in this segment. Which HDD considering both cost and performance should I buy?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
seagate 7200.12 looks good, so does WD Green. anyways, to be on safe side, go for two WD 640Gb HDDs as they will cost you 5.4k and a single 1Tb HDD costs you 4.5k. Better be safe than to be sorry.

OP
BSOD

BSOD

Err.. what?
to be on safe side, go for two WD 640Gb HDDs as they will cost you 5.4k and a single 1Tb HDD costs you 4.5k. Better be safe than to be sorry.

You mean RAID 1 with the two? I already have a backup plan so, that won't be necessary. Also, 5 year warranty means that losing a HDD isn't going to happen, at least for some time.

But, if the 640GB hard drives are faster when compared to the 1TB one then this might be a good deal.

Also, about the WD Caviar series, which one should I go for Blue or Green? Black isn't an option I think.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
losing HDD in the sense HDD crash.

anyways, if you have good backup plan, go for 1Tb WD Caviar Green

Krow

Crowman
The Caviar Green is a 5400 RPM, low-power consuming hard-drive. Its performance is very good. Get it for backup. You may also get the 7200.12 Seagate 1TB. The problematic harddrives are the Seagate 7200.11 not 7200.12.

If you want a solid backup HDD, get the Caviar Green.

OP
BSOD

BSOD

Err.. what?
First up, I already have a hard disk for backup, so the one I'm buying now is going to be for storage not backup.
Second, is the Seagate 7200.12 better than Caviar Blue, both 1TB?

Krow

Crowman
Storage or Backup, WD Caviar Green is very good for both. If its gaming or other apps that u gonna be using, go for the 7200.12 1TB. I dunno abt Caviar Blue, chk online reviews pls.

OP
BSOD

BSOD

Err.. what?
Okay, list down to three choices now:
* WD 640GB AAKS(x2)
* Seagate 1TB 7200.12
* WD Caviar 1TB Green

Which one should I buy in terms of performance alone(not capacity/price)?

Krow

Crowman
^+1

You will be assured of safety and security of your drives. In case one fails, you will hav your data in the second one! :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom