Recommend a build for NAS

crazyfreak316

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I'll be using it as NAS.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 20k (without drives). I can extend it 5-10k more. I am willing to spend another 15-20k on drives.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: FreeNAS

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 4TB (2 x 2TB)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. It'll run headless, monitored and controlled via SSH.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a month (Feb 2014).

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have not built a system before from scratch, but I have disassembled and assembled a lot of systems and I'm willing to do my first build myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Whatever is cheaper and more reliable.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I'd like a Mini-ITX case with atleast 6 harddrive bays (if I want to add more drives in future). I'm okay with Micro-ATX as well if its cheaper and offers better cooling. Also, I'll be running it 24/7, so I don't mind spending some extra for better cooling.

Last edited:
Intel G2020 (3500)
Gigabyte GA B75M DH3 (4500)
Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHz 4 GB (2400)
Antec BP300 (1600)

total: 12,000

For HDD, get WD Red.

Last edited:
OP
C

crazyfreak316

Broken In
Intel G2020 (3500)
Gigabyte GA B75M DH3 (4500)
Kingston HyperX Blu 1600 MHz 4 GB (2400)
Antec BP300 (1600)
CM Elite 120 (3700)

total: 15,700

For HDD, get WD Red.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Just saw more information of the components you mentioned and I noticed the motherboard is a micro-ATX whereas the case is a mini-ITX. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Also, would you recommend I go with stock fan? Or should I go with a better cooler/fan considering it'll be running 24/7.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Just saw more information of the components you mentioned and I noticed the motherboard is a micro-ATX whereas the case is a mini-ITX. Wouldn't that be a problem?

Also, would you recommend I go with stock fan? Or should I go with a better cooler/fan considering it'll be running 24/7.

I'm absolutely sorry about that. Although there are cabinets that support both mini ITX and micro ATX, CM Elite 120 does not. Wait for other member's suggestions.

OP
C

crazyfreak316

Broken In
@harshil
I'm okay with Micro-atx as well. Do you have any case suggestions for micro-atx preferably having atleast 6 3.5" bays?

OP
C

crazyfreak316

Broken In
@op, you can also get used parts for the build as it's not a gaming or work build.

Its not a gaming or work build, but its as important if not more. I'll be primarily using it for automatically backing up my phone and my computers. I want the backups to be reliable, which is why I don't mind paying a bit extra for peace of mind.

avi007

Broken In

Cooler Master Elite 344 can sute your requirement available in Market @ 2500 appx.

leelaprasad

Broken In
Its better to go for Large Cabinets, than smaller ITX cabinets. Because in a smaller cabinet with 6 Hard drivers there will be very less air flow and you need to add some extra fans for Air Flow, these Added fans will in turn increase your Electricity Bill as you will be using this 24/7.

I am also currently building my Nas/HTPC with G2020 + GA B75M DH3 & 5 Hard drives(2*3TB + 3*2TB).
I ordered CM Storm Scout 2(I became a fan of CM Storm after using Stryker)
I haven't finalized on SMPS/PSU yet, based on my research the best PSU would be something with 80+ Gold rating in 250 to 300Watts.

Currently testing the CPU+Mobo+HDD's using HX650 Gold & Stryker, power consumption is in the range of 50 to 80 Watts

Hope this info helps you in your build

Top Bottom