Real speed of a sempron 2600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I recently bought a 2nd hand sempron 2600+ thoroughbred 256kb l2 cache nd ASUS X series A7V400-MX mobo.
Using default setings(100 Mhz external frequency) the cpu is identified as Athlon with 1.1 Ghz.
I tried various combinations by changing the DSW switch on the mobo(as refferen in the manual).
Now the external frequency is set at 166 mhz nd now it is recognized as a sempron 2600+@1.83 Ghz.
It refused to boot when set to 200 mhz(the max the board can support).
Can anyone tell me what should be the speed of a sempron 2600+?
How can I set a value b/w 166 nd 200?
There are 5 small switches on the DSW switch.On the manual there are only 4 combinations.The only option after 166 is 200.
Now at 166 mhz the bus speed is only 332.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
The factory speed of AMD sempron 2600+ is 1.833GHz.

I haven't used your mainboard, so here's something about overclocking your cpu:
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-2600_7.html

OP
dOm1naTOr

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Can i make it run at 400 mhz FSB?
Can I use 3rd party softwares to OC it(like fanspeed)
Fan Speed allows on the fly overclocking within windows but my mobo is not in its list. What do I do? Is there any alternate utility?
Also what should be the idle temp nd temp at maximum load for a sempron?

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
For a Sempron the idle temperatures should be
Motherboard - 45C
CPU - 55C

Now u said that your Processor is running at only 166Mhz FSB.Thats too low.Implement Dual channel mode by fitting one more alike memory module and you will get large performance boost and FSB increases.

aadipa

Padawan
Mahesh Babu said:
Now u said that your Processor is running at only 166Mhz FSB.Thats too low. Implement Dual channel mode by fitting one more alike memory module and you will get large performance boost and FSB increases.

Boss get your Dual Channel funda clear first.

AMD 2600+ Sempron means 333Mhz FSB with 11 multiplier total running at 1833MHz
AMD FAQ

333Mhz FSB means 166Mhz system bus speed. So there is nothing wrong.

Putting dual channel memory does increase performance, but the said mobo doesn't support dual channel memory.

Also dual channel will not increase bus speed or FSB as you are indicating. Please don't give wrong info, if you don't know what it means.

Mahesh Babu

Journeyman
thanks dude for explaining.

Hey aravind turn on the first three switches of DSW and turn off the later two.This will enable 400Mhz Bus speed i.e. 200Mhz FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom